Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
Here is my latested. I need to do the final prep for finishing. I am getting excited. This is a falcate braced classical. It has Western Red Cedar Top, three piece pernambuco back and sides, BRW headstock veneer and bridge, cocobolo fretboard and binding.

It is tapping about where I want the guitar. The air is lower than I thought at 90, I might grow the sound hole 4 mm or so. I thought it might be high because of the sound port combined with my standard soundhole opening.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post (total 2): J De Rocher (Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:26 pm) • bcombs510 (Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
That's looking good and very promising John, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Are those Waverly tuners with ebony pegs? I saw them looking for stuff for the one I'm building. Not with slots though. Thought they might fit the look I'm going for. And they are light. And a bit on the pricey side.
I know NOTHING about tuners, and truss rods, and all the banding and edge work.
They look cool though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

That looks great John, I'd like to hear what you impression is after you play it with the 90Hz box.
Nice job

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Looks like the schertler tuners? Looking good, last build I really struggled with the string path and the slots, intersting tosee how others tackle this.

B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
John Will you post a sound clip of the pernam . I/dlike to hear it ?/ I have lots of it, Tnx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:05 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Nice!!

I’m looking forward to hearing what that Brazil wood sounds like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:59 am 
Koa
Koa

FYI michael brazilwood is different species ts not pernam, its dark brown, and pernam is dark orange

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks all, I will post a video and a properly recorded sound clip when finished. The tuners are schertler tuners, I probably will go with gold and ebony. The pernambuco lumber was purchased from Cook Woods, it was just thick enough to resaw to get the 3 piece back and the 2 sides. My client bought the wood and had it resawed as I could not have done it cleanly enough to get the five slices. It was the first time I agreed to bend a venetian cutaway using client purchased wood. It took some talking into and only a promise to do my best. The outside of wood was a lot oranger than what you see in the pictures, it has been darkening as time has passed after it was resawed and thicknessed.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:57 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Ernie Kleinman wrote:
FYI michael brazilwood is different species ts not pernam, its dark brown, and pernam is dark orange

All of my research said it was the same. https://www.wood-database.com/brazilwood/

I guess I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michaeldc wrote:
Ernie Kleinman wrote:

All of my research said it was the same. https://www.wood-database.com/brazilwood/

I guess I stand corrected.

My spouse is a horticulturalist, she will not let me mention any plants or wood without the Latin name. I still use common names.So this is Paubrasilia echinata? I would not really know for sure as Cook Woods called it Pernambuco.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:03 am 
Koa
Koa

FWIW michael and john I spent quite a bit of time early 90/s studying with notable bowmakers in thousand oaks , oberlin and a few other teachers, Brazilwood is a generic term for a dark brown coloured wood . coming from s. america. Back in the day ( 50/s) to 90 s almost all the trade bows e. g. factory bows were coming from germany and sold to the general public . These were mostly entry level bows. Pernambuco is much more expensive . I do not know the latin name for brazilwood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ernie Kleinman wrote:
FWIW michael and john I spent quite a bit of time early 90/s studying with notable bowmakers in thousand oaks , oberlin and a few other teachers, Brazilwood is a generic term for a dark brown coloured wood . coming from s. america. Back in the day ( 50/s) to 90 s almost all the trade bows e. g. factory bows were coming from germany and sold to the general public . These were mostly entry level bows. Pernambuco is much more expensive . I do not know the latin name for brazilwood.

Thanks Ernie, you illustrate the problem my wife has with common names. One name, lots of sometimes unrelated species. I am pretty sure this is Pernambuco used in bow making. Although the cook woods website did not list the latin. It is very stiff and it is dense. It really colors burnt orange on exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

There is another wood from c , america that is a dead ringer for pernam , it is bright yellow , and turns orange . but not the dark orange of braz pernam it is called chakte viga , and hibdon back in the mid 90/s gave me some . it is not quite as hard as braz pernam, but is an exc sub, and probably way cheaper. ?? Yes pernam is the king of bow woods.. But some bowmakers are switching to alternates, due to embargos . price gouging cites treaties etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

From the Cook Woods website about the wood in this guitar: Brazil wood or Pernambuco is a rare exotic hardwood that is a burnt reddish-orange color. It is noteworthy that Brazil was named after this wood due to the fact that the vivid orange and burnt red colors of the wood closely resemble the soil of Brazil. Uses include but are not limited to orange dye, stringed instrument bows, and fine boxes. This is a very stiff wood that is the wood of choice for instrument bows. A glass like finish can be obtained for stunning articles! Scientific name, Caesalpinia echinata, this hardwood can also be called Ibirapitanga, Tupi, or Chakte Viga and has been laboratory tested with the University of Wisconsin USDA to confirm that it is the same genetic species as Pernambuco.

https://www.cites.org/sites/default/files/ndf_material/WG1-CS5.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
I have used those same Schertler tuners on a modern nylon string and I think they are great. Look good and work really well

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks John, also another problem for bowmakers is the relative density of pernam which from all my tests,is all over the map. As mentioned a lot of these woods are very similiar , and hence much confusion abounds. Your wife is correct, Until you nail down the right latin name for these woods. its pretty much a guessing game . Those in the know use scientific data , cell structure, slide samples etc to determine the species within a species . On a side note some bowmakers who make double bass bows have switched to massaranduba , A hard tough dark brazilian wood readily available through flooring suppliers. Could possibly be used in guitarmaking.