Post subject: Re: Does CA stain Maple?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I just installed side purfling on all four edges of maple sides using CA. The CA that got on the surface of the maple sanded right off. This maple has some curl so there would be at least a bit of end grain exposure and that wasn't a problem. I didn't put CA on a full end grain edge though so I can't say for sure whether that would be a problem or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It seems like not all CA's stain wood yellow. I got yellow staining from some cheap Chinese made CA I bought at Walmart. It wasn't immediately apparent but showed up after a couple of weeks. I have used Loctite brand and never had it stain the wood. There are different formulations of Cyanoacrylate glues which have different properties. I have never noticed staining from the Mohawk brand of CA, and it seems like people have used the Hot Stuff brand to good effect. YMMV, so always test the stuff you are using for compatibility with your materials.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
I've not seen that happen, its one reason I put a maple ring as basis for rosette. Once ring is in, I cut all my purfling slots. I never worry about flood that with CA. My guess is that the pine resin reacts badly with CA. No pine resin in maple. Also, I think hardwood base for rosette strengthens rosette area

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Not like it does with spruce, but the glue line will be more visible than with hide glue/titebond/etc. But that's only a concern if gluing maple to maple.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
I've had CA stain maple purfling. Unbranded CA, not the lime green you can get on spruce, more like amber. Doesn't appear immediately, but apparent under finish. Fades over time as everything else ages to an amber tint.

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clay S. wrote:
It seems like not all CA's stain wood yellow. I got yellow staining from some cheap Chinese made CA I bought at Walmart. It wasn't immediately apparent but showed up after a couple of weeks. I have used Loctite brand and never had it stain the wood. There are different formulations of Cyanoacrylate glues which have different properties. I have never noticed staining from the Mohawk brand of CA, and it seems like people have used the Hot Stuff brand to good effect. YMMV, so always test the stuff you are using for compatibility with your materials.

My experience has been like Clay's. I've only had problems with cheap off brand stuff. Never any problems with Satellite City's Hot Stuff, Zap or Starbond. And I'm sure stewmac's stuff probably won't stain but don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
I've never experienced staining. Here's a tip tho if you are using maple purflings and have miters to attend to. I always make sure to put titebond at the miter joint because CA glue does tend to make the joint more visible. I think it does darken the end grain just a bit.

I use titebond for gluing my bindings anyway except for the cutaway points. I tack the purfling in place with CA but always make sure the purfling miters have titebond between them before I glue everything in place with CA.

These users thanked the author Toonces for the post (total 3): Clay S. (Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 pm) • George L (Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 am) • Pmaj7 (Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:02 am)