Post subject: Tinting veneer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Raul
Last Name: Ortiz
Focus: Build
Hi guys!
I'm playing around with the idea of tinting some veneer for a Rossette I'm making. I've never tinted wood but I have a few ideas that I want to throw out here to get your input and expertise.
So I have a plank of spruce that was used as brace wood in my last (and only) build. I plan on slicing it up to .5 mm.
I'm a model maker, in our shop we have tints that we use for tinting water clear urethanes, silicones, anything really.... and we have a pressure pot which takes the air bubbles out of anything we need to pour.
So, my plan is to mix the tint, submerge the wood veneer in the tint and put it in the pressure pot. The pressure should pull the air out of the wood and suck the tint in.

Here are my questions, what do you think of this method? I've seen a YouTube video where the guy used fabric tint and boiling water over the stove. Seemed like a long and kind of messy process. Especially if you want to do a few colors. But I know this method will work.
Back to the pressure pot method, I'm not sure what would be best to mix the tint with. Should I use water?? Some thin clear varnish?
As I'm writing this I'm thinking water would be best, then dry in front of a heater.
I'd love to get your thoughts on this... And I know that many will say, "just buy them!!!."
I'm the type of guy that types in his CC info and right before he hits "enter" he thinks, "hmmmmm.......can I make that???"
As always, thanks for any input!
Raúl

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Tinting veneer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
I used to dye my rosette strips. I found that spirit based leather dyes worked best and produced the most intense colors. I used a plastic tubing that you could melt with a propane torch to seal the ends and just slid the rosette strips into them and filled them with the leather dye. I made a little stand to hold many tubes at once for making a variety of colors. You can seal the top with plastic wrap, dowel, cork, etc. I was using Poplar and the dye penetrated all the way through in no more than a couple of days. Don't remember the thickness of the Poplar but probably around 1/32 to 3/64 (a mm or so). Your method will probably work fine but I found that water based dyes took a long time to penetrate and didn't produce the intense colors I wanted.

These users thanked the author jshelton for the post: guitarradTJ (Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I’ve stabilized (dyed) wood pieces for a few inlays. I made an easy vacuum chamber and used a brake bleeder pump as the vacuum source.
The chamber is just a 1l pickle jar with the bleeder hose fitting siliconed in the lid.

I used Starbucks sample cups to hold the pieces and dye. I used transtint dye mixed in shellac, which I think was good for the stabilizing medium.
Then made an MDF board with holes to hold the cups. That sat in the jar (jar sits on its side)

The vacuum held strong for 24 hr and here are a few pictures of the vacuum chamber and the finished pieces I’ve done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

These users thanked the author Rod True for the post (total 2): guitarradTJ (Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm) • Bryan Bear (Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:54 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
I like your wood veneer inlay on the fretboard. I wanted to do something similar, but allowed myself to be dissuaded. The consensus at the time was that it wouldn’t hold up to use. How is yours holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

rlrhett wrote:
I like your wood veneer inlay on the fretboard. I wanted to do something similar, but allowed myself to be dissuaded. The consensus at the time was that it wouldn’t hold up to use. How is yours holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That guitar is one my nephew is building for himself. Loves the Brit rock artists and his dad is British so he wanted the flag.

The guitar isn’t finished yet. Being stabilized with shellac I think it’ll hold up ok and he’s really good with the tattered flag look so over time he’ll just love it more and more as the oils dirty it up.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Rod True wrote:
I’ve stabilized (dyed) wood pieces for a few inlays. I made an easy vacuum chamber and used a brake bleeder pump as the vacuum source.

Very interesting! How much vacuum did you pull? How deeply were you able to get the dye to penetrate? I assume the shellac didn’t interfere with glueing.?.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

Post subject: Tinting veneer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

That jar was awesome and the gauge on the pump showed 23 in-hg

Material thickness was 1/16-3/32” (from memory)

The shellac caused no gluing issues. All gluing was with CA.

Once the pieces dried it worked just like normal and when sanding or cutting each piece it showed the dye penetrate all through.

The long red piece on the flag wasn’t submerged entirely and other pieces sucked up all the material so it didn’t dye all through but that was my fault.

If I wanted to do larger pieces I could just buy a few other jars from good Will and fill the jar.

Jason Kostal who created the stain glass rosette uses a pressure cooker and is able to do several colours at once which would be nice.

When researching this, I looked up as many videos etc on wood stabilizing, which is where I found the jar and brake bleeder pump idea.

These users thanked the author Rod True for the post (total 2): guitarradTJ (Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 pm) • Bryan Bear (Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:57 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:12 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Raul
Last Name: Ortiz
GREAT info!!
Running some test pieces now. Will report back!
Currently in the pressure pot @60 PSI. Went with water and tint for the first run.Image

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author guitarradTJ for the post: Rod True (Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:52 pm)