Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Palmetto
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34221
Focus: Build
I may be moving to Tampa from Virginia for a better job and to be closer to my parents for half the year. Any builders in that area possibly know of a decent area to set up shop. I've got dehumidification and a split unit already and I'm hoping to be able to build through the summer months. If I can't it's not the end of the world, just wondering what some of you guys do. My full time job is a work from home job but I do have to be within an hour of Tampa and I have to be in the Tampa office once a week.

Post subject: Re: Florida builders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Glenn
Last Name: LaSalle
City: Saint Petersburg
Hi,

I live in St Pete, moved here 4 years ago from NJ. I do the dirty stuff in the garage, and all building in an environmentally/humidity controlled area. Summers your air will be on a lot, so it actually keeps things pretty dry. One thing I will say, the summer heat takes its toll on tools for sure. I have had to replace pretty much all belts in tools as they don't last long - and my power tools are in a decently insulated area.

On a different note, St Pete has quite a music scene, and really supports local musicians. Pretty close to Tampa as well :-). would make a great base for a music lover.

I also work out of a home office - love it down here.

Glenn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hey Glenn,

That's cool I have some family that snowbirds there. My uncle stays in St. Pete and my parents have a place in Bradenton.I've been looking around Brandon, Oldsmar and up by Lettuce Lake. Hopefully I'll be down shortly to visit and have a look around for a place if everything goes as planned. Generally I'll be working about an hour in any direction of Tampa and sometimes further. I'm hoping to find a 3 Bed, 2 bath with a two car garage for the shop similar to how I'm set up now.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods? I like to make dust all through the night so it pretty much has to be a single family home, the more space between houses the better. Right now I'm surrounded by farms so I don't bother the cows much, but I am looking to getting back to civilization, even if I have to change some of my night owl ways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Looks like it's going to be an HOA in Parrish, FL. I sure hope that I can get a split unit approved for the garage. If not it looks like building will be on hold until sometime next year when I will hopefully be in a position to buy. The thought of moving my shop again makes me ill!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Glenn
Last Name: LaSalle
City: Saint Petersburg
Parrish is about 40 minutes from where I live (St Pete). When up north I had a dedicated shop that was temp/humidity controlled. Since I have been in FL, I do the dirty work in the garage, and all assembly/glue/setup in my office, where I have a work bench setup. I also keep the wood stash inside of course.

Glenn