Walnut

First name: James
Last Name: Jakobsson
City: Thousand Oaks
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 91362
Focus: Repair
Freeman wrote:
Basically number 1. Radius, slot and taper the board, then inlay and bind it and finally fret before gluing on to the neck. I press frets in and feel that I can get more consistent results if I don't have to support it differently for each zone. The f/b takes a slight back bow from compression, that has always gone away when I glue it to the neck.

The f/b ends up at final width when I do it this way, the neck is slightly over wide. I can bring the neck down to final width without damaging the binding. I've been doing a fair number of single and double cut set neck electrics where everything has to be exactly right at the neck to body joint - this sequence seems to give me the best control.

same here ...

Post subject: Re: When do you Fret?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Focus: Build
I also do pretty much what Freeman describes. To deal with the slight back bow from fretting, I use a trick from Mario Proulx I picked up years ago. After the board is fretted I put an 1/8" shim under each end and clamp the middle down to my bench with a spring clamp overnight. This pretty much eliminates that back bow before gluing. I also glue the fretboard on to the neck blank and clamp it to my bench fretboard side down. I let it set there for several days or more while I do other things. This gives plenty of time for the moisture from the glue to work its way out while the neck is held straight.

I can do both of those things because I am on no timeline and there are always other things to be doing. In a production environment it would be a harder sell to spend a week on fretting and gluing the fretboard. Fretting on the guitar is a skill I have not yet acquired and is absolutely necessary for a repair shop. For me, for now, I get by with my method.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.