It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Mahogany source
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 am 
Koa
Koa

I’ve checked the usual suspects, but no one has gotten the price point.
Rc use to cArry nice mahogany neck blanks for stacked heels / scarf joints, but I haven’t seen them on the site lately.
Any other sources for well priced nice neck blanks I’m missing?
I’m getting close to a finish stage so I’m feeling the pull to start again:)
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post: Bri (Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am)

Post subject: Re: Mahogany source
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Yes, genuine mahogany is getting rare and expensive. There are alternatives out there as well, e.g. SM sells double neck blanks in Sipo at $54.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
You need to add Hibdon to your list of usual suspects :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I still seem to find genuine mahogany at reasonable prices. Check out Allied Luthier as well.

If you are lucky enough to have local, or reasonably local, suppliers check them out too. One of the best places I had ever found was a local hardwood supplier that probably deals most with cabinet and specialty wood workers. This place was just outside of Washington DC and I now live 5 hours from there but if I am ever up there I stock up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Hibdon Hardwood, for sure. Assuming you are OK with a scarf joint and a stacked heel, I really don't see any pricing problems. 1" x 3" x 24" mahogany is not that hard to find at reasonable prices. There are decently priced 24" billets on eBay, too. You might have to be a discerning shopper in terms of the quality of the wood.

I've been stashing away some here and there, as I find decent quality at a good price, planning for an eventual supply shortage, but I've not seen it happen yet.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: pkdz (Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:02 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"Assuming you are OK with a scarf joint and a stacked heel, I really don't see any pricing problems"

I'm not a big fan of a stacked heel, but don't mind having a "block heel" and a scarfed peghead. That means I can get away with 4/4 boards and only need a small amount of high priced 12/4 stock. This is less wasteful than a one piece neck, but those that prefer that can pay the premium and have bragging rights to a weaker construction.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hibdon sells 1" x 3" x 24" neck blanks, paired with a color matched block for the heel, all for a decent price.

I definitely use a scarf joint for its structural superiority over a one piece neck, but I can see not wanting the multiple glue lines that come with a stacked heel. Depending on the wood, the stack can be either hard to notice or glaringly obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I also find it here.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/home
Type mahogany in on the search box

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Find a hardwood dealer in your area. You can usually find something for 1/2 the price or less that the guitar supply dealers sell it for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: William
Last Name: Snyder
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
+1 for Hibdon.

Regarding the stacked heel: I, too, do not care for the "look" of a stacked heel and I don't think I'd use one on a maple neck as the glue lines would be tough to hide...but, when using mahogany and Spanish cedar it's easy enough to spend the extra few minutes to orient things properly and line up grain lines, etc to avoid the stacked heel look. I've used a stacked heel on most of my builds but you'd have to look awfully close to be able to tell.

Here's one (4 piece stack) I just snapped from my phone on the guitar I was playing when I read this:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi William,
That is a good looking heel. As you say, with careful work and the right woods it can be hard to see the glue lines. Even if it is a bit obvious, I like the block heel. I have done a few stacked heels with good results, still the block heel is my preference. I feel less of a need to hide the seam,which I feel is a "must" on a stacked heel. Not knocking it - just pointing at a "middle ground" for those who care to take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Brad Goodman wrote:
Find a hardwood dealer in your area. You can usually find something for 1/2 the price or less that the guitar supply dealers sell it for.

That is the way to go if you can find a local dealer that still can get it. I use to be to drive 10 miles to my local Austin Hardwoods and spend hours going through the endless stacks of rosewoods, ebonies, Honduran mahogany and such. Not so much any more. They say the quality of most of the exotics, including Hondo Mahogany, has fallen so much that when they do find some it isn't worth buying. But they are still able to get some very nice African mahogany. (which really isn't a mahogany at all, could have fooled me) When I run out of Hondo that is what I'll be buying.

Sad but true

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
If you are doing a maple neck . One can refer to the violin trade, to make a classic tasteful neck . French polish the main part of the neck and colour or stain the heel and the lowr end of the headstock volute. The stain and colouring will hide the glue line both at the heel and the volute headstock area. If there is a fiddleback figure on the neck . You may want to accentuate/ pop the figure first with linseed , tung or tru oil , then colour or stain and lastly French Polish till you have achieved the look you are after

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I think I remember going as far back as Sloane's classical guitar book that there was an idea to alternate the stacks in the heal for maximum strength. I did that on several guitars and was never bothered by the look of it and in fact thought it looked cool. Funny how aesthetics and practicality work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
I use Sapee and like it. Haven’t had to buy any in a while so not sure what it costs now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joe Beaver wrote:
Brad Goodman wrote:

That is the way to go if you can find a local dealer that still can get it. I use to be to drive 10 miles to my local Austin Hardwoods and spend hours going through the endless stacks of rosewoods, ebonies, Honduran mahogany and such. Not so much any more. They say the quality of most of the exotics, including Hondo Mahogany, has fallen so much that when they do find some it isn't worth buying. But they are still able to get some very nice African mahogany. (which really isn't a mahogany at all, could have fooled me) When I run out of Hondo that is what I'll be buying.

Sad but true

I guess I am lucky to have a great Lumber yard 1/2 an hour from my house (that I have been going to for 45 years)-M.L. Condon in White Plains NY that still has clear 12/4 Honduran Mahogany. I know they ship nationwide, but always better to pick your pieces.They say the end is near for this stock.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Jonny
Last Name: Fifield
Brad Goodman wrote:

Amen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I think you guys may have more luck at the lumberyard than I do. I gave up on mahogany there. I think by the time it hits shelves here, all the stuff I want (clear, straight, quartered) has been picked out and there's nothing but knotty rift in the lift...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

. . . and those of you with an actual lumberyard, as opposed to just Lowe’s and Home Depot, are luckier than I am. We GROW trees for hardwood lumber in West Virginia, and yet I have a tough time finding decent lumber that I would want to use on a guitar. I have to drive 90 minutes just to buy Baltic Birch. Nope, the online vendors for guitar wood are a blessing to me. I would rather pay more and get something I know will be suitable than drive several hours to a lumberyard that might wind up having nothing useful in stock.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Palmetto
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34221
As Joe mentioned African Mahoganies is a good sub if you can't find decent priced Honduran. While not a true Swietenia, all Maliaceae are members of the mahogany family. Examples are Sipo, Khaya, Spanish Cedar and Sapele (too heavy for my taste) are the easiest to source.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Before opening his business in Vancouver Canada (early 70's), Bill Lewis studied guitarmaking in Spain. He wrote that the Spanish makers used mahogany and Spanish cedar without any regard to the grain orientation because these woods were so stable in all directions, it didn't matter. I know I've seen many Martin's and Gibson's that had flat cut and even forty-five degree grain on their necks and had no problems.

Brent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Fred
City: Winnipeg
I just saw an add for American Mahogany. Nice to hear you guys are finally growing it for retail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Robert
Last Name: Cefalu
City: Buffalo
Zip/Postal Code: 14217
We have some nice QS mahogany blanks in 1 x 3 x 24 as well as 3 x 4 in stock. Sometimes it is hard to keep up the website so it's best to e-mail or call.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

All this talk about Mahogany and I was able to get some for free..

It’s been on my friends barn for 15 years Honduran mahogany 2 inches thick by 9 inches wide by 9 feet long

He was going to make a front door out of it but never did so every now and then he gives me a couple of boards.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: Bryan Bear (Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:09 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Corky
Last Name: Long
City: Mount Kisco
Brad Goodman wrote:
Joe Beaver wrote:
Brad Goodman wrote:

Sad but true

I guess I am lucky to have a great Lumber yard 1/2 an hour from my house (that I have been going to for 45 years)-M.L. Condon in White Plains NY that still has clear 12/4 Honduran Mahogany. I know they ship nationwide, but always better to pick your pieces.They say the end is near for this stock.....

Ha! Brad, you just outed my favorite secret source. I've got loads of "offcuts" of mahogany from Condon. They'll work great for stacked necks. For a while a couple of years ago, they'd price it low and then have a 50% off sale when the scraps started to get too plentiful. Love that place. They also had some ebony that I resawed into laminates for necks and binding, too. Kid in a candy shop.