Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Focus: Build
After several years use the conveyor belt (sandpaper) on my Jet thickness sander failed. I bought a belt from Highland Woodworking and it wouldn't track no matter what I tried (reversed it, tried different tension on either side, etc.). I bought a new conveyor belt from Klingspor Woodworking and it works perfectly. This is the 43.5" belt. The one from Highland was similar in style to the original (rust colored sandpaper, heavy paper backing) and the one from Klingspor is grey (silica carbide?) with some kind of plastic backing. Not saying that the next belt from Highland wouldn't have worked perfectly but I wasn't willing to take the risk. Just a "head's up" for anyone with a similar problem. Prices are about the same ($38).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Hmm, I have one of those Highland Woodworking belts waiting to go on my 16/32 Performax sander...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We had a similar issue with a feed belt from Highland on the old 16-32 that was in the shop when I started. Highland shipped out a replacement and that belt was on the machine and working well when it was replaced with the 22-44 ODS.

I would suggest calling Highland to discuss the problem. Affording the vendor the opportunity to make things right - whether with a replacement belt that works or a refund of the cost of the defective item and shipping - seems like a reasonable approach. Highland's reputation is quite good when it comes to customer service, and each time I've contacted them for assistance - always by phone - their staff members have been both knowledgeable and committed to my satisfaction.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:40 am 
Koa
Koa

I had a problem with the new one from the factory and the replacement from the factory. Eventually I bought a new metal roller (original was rubber) and a new belt of a different design, both from the factory. The factory had changed the design. Then it worked, but I do not know if it was just the belt, the roller, or a combination of belt and roller.

My strong hunch at this time is that the original diagonal seam material on the belt interacted with the rubber roller and pushed the belt to one side.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:46 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Woodie G wrote:
We had a similar issue with a feed belt from Highland on the old 16-32 that was in the shop when I started. Highland shipped out a replacement and that belt was on the machine and working well when it was replaced with the 22-44 ODS.

I would suggest calling Highland to discuss the problem. Affording the vendor the opportunity to make things right - whether with a replacement belt that works or a refund of the cost of the defective item and shipping - seems like a reasonable approach. Highland's reputation is quite good when it comes to customer service, and each time I've contacted them for assistance - always by phone - their staff members have been both knowledgeable and committed to my satisfaction.

I'm sure your advice is sound and I have no problem with Highland but I live way out in the country. It's not worth it for me to make the round trip to town and pay shipping to return a $40 item. I'll keep it as a spare since it does work for 8-10 passes before it needs to be re-adjusted. BTW, the fact that you received a defective belt from Highland tells me that the quality control on this product is less than ideal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
My strong hunch at this time is that the original diagonal seam material on the belt interacted with the rubber roller and pushed the belt to one side.[/quote]

That's a good hunch! A buddy was having the same problem with his 16-32. Multiple belts and messing around. Never got it to track right. Bought a new machine which fixed the problem laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
I am sorry for being unclear - we did not return the defective belt - just sent them a quick video clip of the belt wandering to the motor side despite adjustments, and they sent a new one out. While the boss has a long-standing relationship with Highland running back to the late 1980's, I suspect this was not anything in the way of special treatment. Worth a call, if for no other reason than advising them that the lot of belts yours originated with should be considered suspect.

Good luck!

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)