Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I decided to build a smaller BBQ Bob Stella copy many years ago, but the finished instrument took around 5 years to complete. Here is a photo of the size comparison to a Leadbelly Stella...

A couple more construction photos...

Unfortunately, I took no photos of the inside of the top, but this is the bracing with one difference, the ladder bridge plate was made of BRW. Top was .152" at sound hole so I can assume it was probably around .154-.156" in the main part of the box. Other details are red spruce top, 26" scale, reduced from the Leadbelly 26.5", .070-.014" strings and tuned to A! I've never had one "bark" that low before. I had it briefly tuned to G, but the strings got a little rubbery at that low tuning.

To give a relative size, here's Bob himself. He worked at Tindall's BBQ outside Atlanta in the 30's.

Bit of a problem but solved. Here are the rest...

Binding on fingerboard is ebony...

I did use my favorite, white oak for the back and I am really glad I did! The tone is wonderful. Note the heavy .090" binding.

Heel detail...

AFB bridge...

I have never been so happy to have finally completed this instrument with a lot of help from Ron and Michele of St. Paul Guitar and David, a local builder that sprayed it. I had to stop at the point of sanding the whole instrument and they finished it and really came through for me!

Last edited by Haans on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post (total 2): jack (Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 pm) • SteveG (Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:52 am)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
Focus: Build
Awesome work Hans !!! I really hope some day that I get a chance to play one of your instruments.

These users thanked the author Toonces for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
That is exceptionally cool. Something about the spruce with the wider thicker grain always felt a bit more organic to me, might just be my perception but always liked the look.

Really nice work Haans

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks folks!
Sorry it took so long to load all the photos. I had to resize a few...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
In love with that body shape, and makes me want a twelve!

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Larry
Last Name: Hawes
Nice, nice, guitar Haans. Oak back and sides? I see white oak in the description - very nice...

Last edited by LarryH on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author LarryH for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A stunner for sure, would love to play that thing.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
I like everything about that guitar! I'm not an oak lover, but you've made me question my issues with it. What is the top purfling? Looks lovely!

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Absolutely wonderful!

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Every element looks great. I wish we had some of that white oak here in Australia.

These users thanked the author Mark Mc for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Gorgeous!

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:22 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Handsome work, Haans, as always. Congratulations on adding another to your long and impressive "completed" list. I wouldn't mind playing a tune on that while enjoying a plate of Texas-style BBQ. Would have to clean my fingers up a bit first, of course!

These users thanked the author George L for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Very nice Hans!

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Haans (Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:22 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sorry about the focus on some of the photos, had to open up the lens quite a bit and the old man isn't as steady as he used to be.

Dan, I have to say that I never liked "whitebread tops" on any instrument. Throughout my life as a builder, I always tried to find good "B" grade red spruce with wide grain and still stiff.

Glen, Stella and others did have some well thought out shapes to them.

Larry, yes, good 'ole white oak, except for having to fill twice, a darn good wood for back and sides and really stable too.

Tony, top purfling is available at LMI.

George, wish I could travel to Seattle and the Olympic peninsula once more, but it's out of the question at this point. I'll have to try to find a photo of a antique shop we saw there last time we went...

Mark, a quick look at Startpage (my goooogle) shows some white oak in Australia...

I will try to get a comparison shot of it with the big Stella in a day or two.

Last edited by Haans on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: DanKirkland (Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:12 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Howard
Last Name: Wilson
State: Virginia
Haans, your builds always look spectacular. I've picked up a couple white oak sets and hope they look and sound half as good as yours when completed. Congrats again!

These users thanked the author Doc for the post: Haans (Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:48 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Hans, a gorgeous guitar. I have a nice piece of white oak I need to resaw and looking at that guitar reminds me I need to do it!

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Haans (Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:49 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Lovely in every way. Thanks for sharing it.

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Haans (Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:49 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Great looking guitar!!

These users thanked the author frwilliams for the post: Haans (Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:49 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Beautiful. Does the smaller body with the longer scale give good volume? How might it compare to the large Ledbelly?

Ed

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post: Haans (Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:49 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Beauty Haans! Yo are an inspiration!

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: Haans (Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:49 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Shanklin
City: Windsor
State: ON
That is a thing of beauty!!

Bob

These users thanked the author Bob Shanklin for the post: Haans (Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:49 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks again folks!
Doc and Steve, the white oak will surprise you. It's a little crisp at first with a red spruce top, but when broken in, it just mellows out very nicely. Always worked really well with my laminated braces and thin triangular cross sections...

Both top and back were my standard 10' radius, cylindrical on the top.

Ed, the BRW bridge patch and laminated brace back gives very good volume. It's louder than the Leadbelly 12 which makes me wish I had tried all that on the big Stella. Only advantage to the big box Stella is the more of a "room filling" sound, if you know what I mean. The BBQ Bob is just a little bit more focused sound while the big box seems to envelop the whole room.

As far as scales, the BBQ Bob is a half inch shorter than the Leadbelly. Using the same strings, that half inch difference allowed me to get all the way down to "A" instead of "B" on the big box. It's a VERY deep sound.
I really don't know what they used to call the Stella size, I called it BBQ Bob, even though I didn't care for his strumming picking style compared to McTell. Some have likened it to clawhammer banjo playing, but I don't hear that...

My friend Bob came over this morning to check it out. He is the only guy left that I know around here that can play this kind of 12 string with the Leadbelly/Dave Ray kind of feeling. It was a great chance for me to sit on the other side for a change. He liked it a lot more than the older big box ones that I had and said it sounded broken in already. That's something I have been thinking myself as the boxes on these instruments have been together for years and all the stresses of building have worked themselves out. Wish I would have had something to record his playing, but it's all been sold. It was a real pleasure to hear some Dave Ray tunes on it. I loved it! He did too...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: SteveSmith (Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:54 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I really like seeing your work, Haans! Such great craftsmanship.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

These users thanked the author Rod True for the post: Haans (Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:56 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Rod...

Part of the enchantment might be that these days, the more traditional look has become the "novelty" or the exception to normal. It is rather difficult to beat the look of a classic instrument that has been slowly refined over thousands built.

Today, many handmade instruments are Martin or Gibson on the inside and the outside runs the full course of the imagination. An inlay of Wm. Boyd on the peghead and "H o p p y" on the fretboard or clockwork gears never tripped my trigger. My intention from the start of building instruments was to emulate classic instruments faithfully on the outside and make my "originality" on the inside. Probably came from building 1 or 35 too many F5's, but I did finally do some original thinking with mandolins. Consider that I never built a 14 fret guitar, no dreadknots, no cut-aways, no arm bevel, no wedge and only 2 solid pegheads on guitars...I only built traditional blues guitars.

Narrow market and tunnel vision... idunno