Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Y'all should leave the poor delusional fellow alone. When I find a price I feel is so far from reasonable I just move on. People are entitled to price their items as they see fit. Personally, a lot of the prices I see for vintage (and new) guitars I think are unreasonably high for the quality of the instruments. Obviously other's don't, because they get sold. He may eventually find a buyer at his price point - maybe a collector who needs it to complete his collection. A lot on nice instruments went to Asia because they were willing to pay premium prices that local people wouldn't pay.
I remember being at a flea market about 20 years ago and seeing a fellow excitedly telling his friend what a great deal he got paying $90 for an old 3 inch long turquoise beaded lizard looking thing. To me it looked like 90 cents was a fair price. But he continued "it's a Navajo birth fetish" and that made all the difference to him.
I recently bought a little box at a yardsale for 25 cents - full price , no haggling. I think the parts are worth more than the whole.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
Focus: Build
Nice selection of buttons Clay.
I bought small boxes of button blanks 20 years ago that came from a factory that had closed in the 30's. White, gold, black...It's so nice I can't match it up with anything that is commercially available today. Going through Grandmas sewing basket can pay dividends.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

Other than the 'Gibson' tag I don't see anything special about this guitar at all. Nothing. It would take a great amount of effort and skill to do a full restoration.
It would be a labour of love. That's about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
I found a '33 L-00 in black a few years ago - shattered back and side but a first-class neck. I know a fairly famous instrument repair guy and I asked for some advice. He said the neck was worth $2-300 and he would just part it out. This one looks like that - glue on the neck heel and let it go. By the way, I spent way too much time and repaired that guitar, and if I had to pay myself it would be a losing proposition.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I kind of get a kick out of fixing up old catalog archtops and putting pickups in them. After apologizing in advance I have made some real lowball offers on Silvertones etc that have been, to my great surprise, accepted.
You never know.
This guitar looks like one to avoid although it is amazing what a Gibson logo will do to people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Terence Kennedy wrote:
I kind of get a kick out of fixing up old catalog archtops and putting pickups in them. After apologizing in advance I have made some real lowball offers on Silvertones etc that have been, to my great surprise, accepted.
You never know.
This guitar looks like one to avoid although it is amazing what a Gibson logo will do to people.

You and I both . I do like a challenge . I have got some at great prices as well. As you say , that one is beyond any chance of repairing and actually making any money . way to much time to get it back to where it would need to be .

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
Terence Kennedy wrote:
You never know.

That's actually a cool thing to do, sort of "modernize" an otherwise unwanted guitar.

I usually phrase my messages with an explanation/apology and the words "If you don't want to sell it that low then I will not be offended" 99% of the time I'll get a reply such as "That's a little lower than I was wanting to go, could you do x$?" Most of them are business savvy enough to not run off potential customers.

For this one in the OP though, I agree that he is asking way too much, but I don't want to do business with him on account of the nasty messages. So he'll just be left to his own devices.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
DanKirkland wrote:
Terence Kennedy wrote:
You never know.

That's actually a cool thing to do, sort of "modernize" an otherwise unwanted guitar.

I usually phrase my messages with an explanation/apology and the words "If you don't want to sell it that low then I will not be offended" 99% of the time I'll get a reply such as "That's a little lower than I was wanting to go, could you do x$?" Most of them are business savvy enough to not run off potential customers.

For this one in the OP though, I agree that he is asking way too much, but I don't want to do business with him on account of the nasty messages. So he'll just be left to his own devices.

Thats why I contacted him in the first place is because of his attitude LOL twist the screws a little laughing6-hehe

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/