All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
EDIT: The neck block stamp reads "New York" on the lower side of the stamp, this is not a Larson brothers made guitar. If you do happen to know the maker of the guitar then please post here and let me know.

While on my usual rounds looking for instruments and tools I came across this 0 sized guitar. Not as small as a parlor pretty much just a 0 size BRW back and sides piece. I got excited for a bit because I thought I'd run across some reject 20s Martin that had been tossed at some point but the absence of binding anywhere threw that idea out of the window.

Apologies for the flash usage but it was dark as frig in the antique store. Guy had about 10 other cheapo guitars all stacked around it too. I was trying to take photos incognito to not draw attention to it.

Nut was ebony, 1 7/8 wide. Short scale maybe 24 3/4 ish

only identifying marks were the stamps on the center strip and the neck block.

Neck has obviously been monkeyed with and the bridge had been reglued with gorilla glue. Bridge was pyramid style and had fretwire for the saddle.

I thought it might be a Larson made piece because of the 3 dot fretboard markers that I've seen on several of the Maurer guitars. However the name Maurer is nowhere to be found just those 2 stamps. The neck is broken at the headstock and has extremely fancy actual ivory tuners. The tuners are way fancier than the guitar itself is over all.

Tag price was pretty low, obviously needs work. Any thoughts? I'd like to scoop it up but I'm working on convincing the wife that I need another guitar.

If it's just a random maker from the early 20th century it might be a good candidate for restoration. Headstock is pretty rough and bears the marks of a home gamer refinish at some point.

EDIT: The stamp on the Neck block has the words "New York" written in it, this is not a Larson, I apologize for the thread title.

Last edited by DanKirkland on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Neat. Reminds me of some American Conservatory / Washburn stuff I've worked on. You should buy it anyway - looks like a cool vintage instrument.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: DanKirkland (Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

New York, must be a Martin...
Larson Bros immigrated from Sweden to Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

Whatever it is... it’s old and very cool:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

No stamp on the headstock? I love old stuff like that. If the price was right I'd scoop that up for sure.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: DanKirkland (Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Well, seriously, there were literally hundreds of builders around the time that was built, has all the signs of being a mass produced instrument, can't tell about the back and sides, kinda looks like walnut.

Fretwire on the bridge suggests cheap, can't tell if it has ladder or X bracing. Nothing about it suggests it is anything but a student model, can't tell if the back is bound or not. Probably not worth much unless that is BRW...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: DanKirkland (Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

Haans wrote:
Well, seriously, there were literally hundreds of builders around the time that was built, has all the signs of being a mass produced instrument, can't tell about the back and sides, kinda looks like walnut.

Fretwire on the bridge suggests cheap, can't tell if it has ladder or X bracing. Nothing about it suggests it is anything but a student model, can't tell if the back is bound or not. Probably not worth much unless that is BRW...

It is definitely BRW, that was one of the first things I checked. Back is not bound.

Bracing is ladder/slant bracing.

Considering if it's a student/cheapo model, might be cool to retop it with a 0-28 style bracing and add some binding all the way around. Would make for a much more usable guitar for your average player.

Still working the wife over on this one, it was the best guitar that he had there, everything else was the typical silvertone 40$ crap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:46 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

BRW was readily available at the time. Doubt it's worth re-topping and aside from run out, looks like a good top, maybe even German spruce. It also was quite popular in those days.

Lots of cheap instruments/student models at the time, instruments were sold with lessons as a way to get people into stores and playing/taking lessons.

I doubt Martin bracing is going to do much unless the top is really deformed. Absolutely nothing wrong with ladder bracing...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: DanKirkland (Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

What were they asking for it? The inside view of the rough unsanded sides looks like it could be BZ.

If you could get it for under $100 and it was BZ I’d probably grab it and just use the rimset and back for a totally new guitar.

Offer him $50 :)

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: DanKirkland (Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I would not retop that. That top looks fine to me. I would probably make a better bridge for it and keep the old one tho. But that's just me. I like a ladder braced guitar, not everything has to be an X and I'm sure you already have plenty of those ;)

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 3): DanKirkland (Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 pm) • Jonny (Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:50 pm) • Haans (Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

The owner won't budge on the price sadly, 250 is a bit steep in my mind for an unknown guitar, even if it is BRW

Haans, thanks for your input on this one. I think I saw that body shape and got a bit excited while sifting through a bunch of other crap. I've still got to hang onto that pipe dream of finding a Euphonon or a Prairie State (the 19" incher) randomly tucked in with a bunch of other antiques. A man can dream.

I think for this one I'm going to pass since the owner is not negotiable. Thanks for your input folks!

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Haans (Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:59 pm)