Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whatch You Doin'?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
CarlD wrote:
Sitting in a hotel room in Reno, evacuated from our place because of the Camp Fire. The whole town of Paradise on the next ridge over is gone. We held out for a time but was running out of gas for the generator so we put 5 of the guitars in the van, some clothes and vital papers and left.

The perimeter is about 3 miles away from the place and the wind is blowing toward the fire, so we're hoping for the best. Had to buy a new computer to get back online.

Bummer, sorry to hear that Carl.
I really hope things work out OK for you and yours.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Very sorry to hear, Carl. Hope everyone got out of Paradise and Forest Ranch escapes the tragedy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ditto.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I've got a buddy who's ranch is a mile from the fire...

Glad you and yours are safe!

Take good care!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Our prayers are with you, Carl. We have friends at Pepperdine U. who had to be evacuated. Rough time to be in California.

As a distraction, I can report that I have been a busy bee this weekend. First (and most importantly), I strung up #6 and #7 (my first time building more than one at a time, and I'm not doing it any more) so they can get used to being guitars before I do the detail fret work, wax the bridges and fingerboards, all that jazz. Still a bit rough, and they definitely need some fret work, but they sound pretty good, tone-wise. Photos:

Attachment:
079.jpg

Attachment:
080.jpg

Attachment:
081.jpg

Attachment:
082.jpg

Attachment:
083.jpg

Attachment:
084.jpg

Attachment:
085.jpg

#6 is on the left, and it is a baritone scale (26.875") with 14 frets clear of the body. #7 is a standard scale (25.34"), but it has 13 frets clear of the body. The bodies are pretty much the same, with pyramid bridges and red herringbone purfling that I made myself. The necks are the same except for the scale; both slot head (square slots). Lutz spruce tops, Indian Rosewood backs and sides, Honduran Rosewood headplates, fingerboards and bridges. Lots of "from scratch" designing going on with these two. Lots of mistakes, too, but I'm getting better at most things.

My other project was making leather-lined jaws for my pattern maker's vise and an old Versa Vise I bought off a guy in Nashville and didn't get around to cleaning up for about 2 years. I should have done this a long time ago; the leather really helps grip the workpiece and avoid damage. I should have cleaned up the Versa Vise a lot sooner, too. Very handy little vise.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Thanks for getting the tread back on track Don. Sorry for the hijack. So far we're OK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Lookin' good Don. I like to work on two at a time. Since finishing is such a PITA, I like to spray two at a time...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, Steve. The fact that finishing is such a PITA is part of what makes me not want to build two at a time any more. It makes that part of the building process which I don't enjoy literally twice as long, which is a drag! Plus, I feel that I can give more of my attention to just one at a time. I'm still learning a lot (these are #6 and #7), and I feel like I needed to have better focus on each as I build these last two. Some mistakes I made would have been completely avoidable with a bit more care.

Here are Versa Vise photos. The metal jaws of this one don't have the holes for mounting wooden jaws, so I inset some rare earth magnets with cyano on one face and put leather on the other face. I'm really liking this vise now!

The vise without the new jaws:

Attachment:
Versa Vise bare.jpg

The magnets:

Attachment:
Vise jaws with magnets.jpg

The leather:

Attachment:
Vise jaws with leather.jpg

The vise with the new jaws in place:

Attachment:
Versa Vise with new jaws.jpg

Once you get the clutch mechanism adjusted so the vise grips the post both in vertical and horizontal mode, this thing is pretty strong. And like my pattern maker's vise, it just bolts to the bench through dog holes, so it can be removed to give me more real estate when I need it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Don,
That is impressive that you made your own herringbone. The red color almost glows in the pictures. When I first saw the tops I thought they were Sitka, but I'm not that familiar with Lutz. I guess as a cross there is a lot of variation in looks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
Carl, I'm a native Californian but have been in Hawaii the last 35 years. Every few years I find myself in Cohasset, Forest Ranch, Paradise, visiting friends and hiking. Been talking to them this week. Smart that you evacuated. My very best wishes for you and your family. Hope the winds keep working in your favor.. Aloha, Bob Gleason

These users thanked the author Pegasusguitars for the post: CarlD (Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
Closed these two up (#15 and 16, I think?)
#15: Brazilian RW Parlor for a friend

#16: Bubinga SJ

Waiting for the finish to cure on these so I can sand and buff. (Cuban Hog & Walnut SJs)

These users thanked the author Marcus for the post: Michaeldc (Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Marcus, Interesting top on the walnut. Looks like some kind of birds eye. What is it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clay S. wrote:
Hi Don,
That is impressive that you made your own herringbone. The red color almost glows in the pictures. When I first saw the tops I thought they were Sitka, but I'm not that familiar with Lutz. I guess as a cross there is a lot of variation in looks.

Thanks, Clay! There is a thread somewhere here on OLF from back when I put this batch of herringbone together, if you are interested in doing it yourself.

The red does look cool, I have to say. It causes more of a threat of bleed over onto the spruce than a black fiber would. I had to carefully seal over it with shellac at the very beginning of the finishing process, and even then there is a little that smeared here and there. Some of the glow is attributable to the fact that I French polished these guitars. I have not yet buffed out the finish, and might never get around to it. Without buffing, my shellac finishes tend to be "softly" shiny, if that is a good way to describe them. I like them like that.

I've built with Sitka, Red, Englemann, and Lutz spruce, and cedar. I own a few tops of European spruce. I'm developing the opinion that the characteristics of the individual pieces matter more than the precise species. And I am more and more appreciating the virtues of wood that looks a little boring, but causes fewer problems. Give me straight grain, well quartered wood with little runout, and I'll gladly live with the relatively plain look.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

sdsollod wrote:
Marcus, Interesting top on the walnut. Looks like some kind of birds eye. What is it?

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting piece. I bought it from a local guy trying to sell Luthier sets to local luthiers on craigslist. I think he marketed it as some sort of burl/birdseye redwood. I was pretty sure it would make a terrible sounding guitar but I also thought it looked super cool. So I picked up a set.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I tried out a new bit I got off ebay for radiusing fingerboards. Even with a quick and dirty setup it worked O.K.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Well, well, laminated back braces! What did you use for centers? Looks a might thick but might work for you...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

I used some padauk that I had laying around. In hindsight I agree that they are a tad thick. Also it made thinning the ends down to 1/8" quite a challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Marcus

What went into your decision to use laminated braces on one and not the other?

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Marcus wrote:
I used some padauk that I had laying around. In hindsight I agree that they are a tad thick. Also it made thinning the ends down to 1/8" quite a challenge.

6"x89" sander or spindle sander does wonders...on the cheap, one of those oscillating sanders with 60 grit triangular works fairly well. I used to pretty much completely shape the braces on the 6"x89".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ruby, I honestly couldn't find (in my shop) a contrasting piece of wood to laminate with the mahogany. This guitar is a gift for a friend, so I also didn't want to go spend more money on something. I am also lazy...

Haans, that's a great tip. I am going to preshape my braces on the next guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If you are doing the X on the top, remember that the half that has the 1/2 lap on top will have to be done by hand to leave the lap part square...pre mark and file by hand.
Hate to see the finish on the inside, but to each their own...
If you know basically all your bracing #'s, pre-cutting them works pretty well, only have to make some changes if you feel it's not tapping right.

The oscillating sander (Dremel or whatever) works well to make small changes after the braces are glued on. The 6x89 makes triangular braces a breeze and center lamination is a natural marker. Note the difference in center lam thickness and that they are Grand Concert size.

I hope the braces work for you. They sure had made a difference in my instruments.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
Don, I have one of the tall boy versions of the versa vise in my shop. Every older mechanic/gunsmith/luthier/woodworker I show it to wants one once they see what it can do and how it works.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Why.... making jigs of course!!! :D

Side laminating jig for an upcoming 14 fret 00 project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Colin North (Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
bcombs510 wrote:

Like that Brad - what's that? layers 3/4" MDF?
What's that separating the 2 forms?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Colin North wrote:
bcombs510 wrote:

Like that Brad - what's that? layers 3/4" MDF?
What's that separating the 2 forms?

The layers are 5 @ 3/4” and 1 @ 1/2”. I needed the width to be 4 1/4”.

The spacer is 4 layers of .060 HDPE. I use the layers of HDPE to fill the void if I’m only doing sides. Otherwise if I’m doing lining at the same time I will take a piece of the HDPE out at a time and replace with the lining material as I bend them. Hopefully that makes sense. :)

I use Burton LeGeyt’s method he shared here for making solid linings. The gap between the molds is .250. That allows for a .070 side (or two laminated sides equaling .070) and 3 layers of .060 “lining sides”. Smash it all in there together and they nest in a way where the lining fits to the sides perfectly all the way around.

The two 1 1/2” holes drilled into the upper part of the mold itself are used with a spreader clamp to get the thing back apart. It’s a tight fit once all the layers are in.

Brad

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:02 pm) • Colin North (Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:49 am)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next