Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:40 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Damon
Last Name: Wack
State: FL
Focus: Build
I had posted some progress pictures earlier this year, here is the finished guitar. It's a semi-replica of a lap style 1935 Martin 0-18K I own. I call it a semi-replica because I changed some stuff bracing-wise, as well as making it slightly more decorative.

I've never been a fan of rope binding on the tops of the Weissenborns, or one like this, but I like it on the side of the guitar.

The original guitar has bar stock for frets that sit slightly proud of the fret board, so I thought I would inlay mine. Then I thought I might run some down the edge of the fretboard as well, so I had to continue that on the headstock. Then I thought, it's Hawaiian, it should have some flowers or something on it. Got carried away a bit with it before I knew it.

The finish is gloss Seal-a-Cell and Arm-R-Seal, six coats, very thin.

The Florida sunlight pops the figure nicely.

It sounds really good, plenty of volume and overtones, tons of sustain, but not as "airy" as the 83 year old. I wonder how long it will take to get all the "green" out of the Koa? It already has opened up some in just a few days of playing.

I've also noticed these style guitars don't sound as good with fresh strings, the Martin sounds great with strings I would have changed long before on a dobro.

So we will see how it is in a couple of months I guess. Right now I have D'Addario EJ-42 dobro stings on both, tuned to D.

Attachment:
IMG_1144.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1145.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1146.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1147.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1149.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1152.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1153.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1157.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice looking guitar. Has that old time vibe.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
All kinds of buttery sweetness.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Very nice!

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Beautiful, well done!

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Damon, very pretty guitar. Is the binding cocobolo?

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:43 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I sure like koa. And little guitars. Put them together and its just sweetness.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:43 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
What they said - and the outdoor photos really do it justice. You are right about the rope binding

Ed

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Cool! It has eyes!

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: Lindamon (Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Barry Daniels wrote:
Damon, very pretty guitar. Is the binding cocobolo?

Thanks Barry, it's bloodwood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You should be very proud of that instrument, it's a real beauty!
Not much for the knots on the back (stability) or style of rosette, but the general look of the instrument is very classic.
Did you make up the side purfling? Is that a hardwood back brace in the sound hole?
Personally, I agree with you. I don't like fresh strings on any stringed instrument. Fresh strings on mandolins sound horrid.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Lindamon (Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:11 am)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:37 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Haans wrote:
You should be very proud of that instrument, it's a real beauty!
Not much for the knots on the back (stability) or style of rosette, but the general look of the instrument is very classic.
Did you make up the side purfling? Is that a hardwood back brace in the sound hole?
Personally, I agree with you. I don't like fresh strings on any stringed instrument. Fresh strings on mandolins sound horrid.

Thanks Haans, I agree with you on the knots. I feel the same about a lot of highly figured wood, I learned about that with repairing cracks in older guitars I built from stuff like that. I’m over using it for customer’s instruments!

I had to use epoxy on the back around the knots. It was wood I cut from a board many years ago, and I wanted to use it for this project. It’s my guitar, so only I have to deal with it if some issues come up.

Same about the rosette, it had sat about the shop for years, and in a weak moment I decided to use it. After I decided to decorate the neck as much as I did, I thought it looked a little plain and wished I had done something different. It also gave me some issues with the oil finish, it’s an oily wood, maybe cocobolo (it’s been many years since I bought it), and it stayed tacky, so I sanded it down with 400g and polished it with micromesh.

I did not make the purfling, it’s from LMI I believe. I use it now and then only on the sides of my instruments, I mostly build resonator guitars, and it’s kind of a shout out to their Hawaiian ancestry I guess.

The back braces are not tall, maybe 3/16” at the center. I make them smaller and put carbon fiber on top of them to add stiffness, so they appear dark. I come out of the aerobatic aircraft world, and learned to work with it there, I use it in various places on my instruments, and I like to experiment on ones that are meant for me.

Thanks again for commenting, I am humbled by you and other’s on this site who are far more knowledgeable than myself, it’s just a retirement hobby for me, but very rewarding.

These users thanked the author Lindamon for the post: Haans (Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:09 pm)