It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Gotoh tuners
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

I built a guitar in a class with a very famous luthier about 11 years ago . after a layoff of several years I am getting back into playing and I am having much trouble keeping this guitar in tune . I am certain I have the correct strings 12-52 for the original nut slots ,and I do not hear any of the telltail " chirping " that usually accompanies a guitar with improper nut slots . . The original tuners were Gotah , I am not sure of the model number except they had a fine gearing like 1-21 or maybe 16-1 something like that .I tune the guitar then within minutes it is out of tune ?Could it be the tuners ? any other possible solutions , that come to mind would be appreciated .

These users thanked the author Jody for the post: Bri (Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 pm)

Post subject: Re: Gotoh tuners
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
How new are the strings?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

about 5 days on the guitar , Labella phosphor bronze .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Have you lubricated the nut slots? (Pencil lead works)

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
Are you sure things are OK at the bridge end? If the string ball ends are not firmly lodged against the bridge plate, the string can be holding on (i.e., not popping out) because the ball end is wedged in the string hole between the side of the hole and the string pin. That is not a very stable way to keep the string in place, and can lead to tuning problems like what you are experiencing.

There needs to be a place for the string to take up space and also have the ball end seated firmly against the bridge plate. The best plan is to have slots in the bridge, which makes the ball end lodge against the bridge plate instead of trying to climb out of the hole. The path chosen by some builders (manufacturers) is to use bridge pins with slots. The problem with that path is that it increases the chances of the problem I described. The players has to take extra care with each string that the ball end seats well. On guitars with no slots in the bridge, I do that by installing all 6 strings at the bridge before I attach the strings to the tuners. I reach in the soundhole and verify by touch that the ball end is where it is supposed to be. It’s a bit of a pain, but I consider it necessary when the guitar doesn’t have string slots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks, I can double heck the seating of the ball ends and I may have some graphite in my tool box .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:26 am 
Koa
Koa

Well I lubricated the nut slots and with the B-string only ,when adjusting the tension ,I can hear emanating from the sound hole end of the guitar a sort of squeeky sound that sounds like a ratchet ,so after work I will recheck the nut slot and make sure the ball end is seated well . Thanks !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
I would try some different strings. It's a likely suspect and easily ruled out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

[quote="DannyV"]I would try some different strings. It's a likely suspect and easily ruled out.[/quote
Do you suspect the Labella strings or just strings in general ? I remember we used martin 12-52 , I am thinking Labella may have a different B string . I have found this to be a problem where I set up a guitar for a certan brand and guage , then the company remixes the configuration/combination of string diameters .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:45 am 
Koa
Koa

OK just to update , for everyone who helped with this . So I took a closer look at the saddle , which is buffalo horn ,being black and my eyes not too good anymore, and it seems there were some slots worn in it from string friction , the B string being quite deep . I also put a micrometer to the set of LaBella strings .and the B string which was supposed to be .016. mic-ed out to be .020 in some areas .So the combination of the two was probably causing problems at both ends of the guitar . I do nothave a new saddle material so I cleaned the slots in the saddle with nut files , hoping to get me through until I can get some new material , and I replaced the strings, being sure the ball ends were properly seated against the bridge plate . The guitar is staying in tune just an hour after installing new strings . So thanks to everyone for corresponding on this and giving me some ideas where to look !