Walnut
Walnut

First name: David
Last Name: Rodvien
City: fairhope
State: AL
Zip/Postal Code: 36532
Focus: Repair
So I attempted to use slotless pegs on my Larrivee Parlor guitar but they would not fit. There are no string slots on this guitar, and, of course the current pegs have slots. Does this mean I have to cut string slots for each peg in order to make the slotless pegs work?
David

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
Can I first offer a suggestion about terminology?

"Pegs" are going to make people think you are talking about tuning gears, because tuning pegs are the functional equivalent on violin family instruments. So, don't call them pegs. Call them bridge pins.

Assuming I am right, and you are talking about bridge pins, the best way for a pin bridge to operate is to have slots in the bridge for each string, bridge pins with no slots on them, and bridge pin holes that fit the bridge pins just right.

So, yes, I think it would be best if you could either cut string slots in the bridge yourself, or have someone do it for you if you are not comfortable doing it.

Do the bridge pins fit in the bridge pin holes without the strings? That's important to know. You could go to the trouble of cutting string slots in the bridge, and the bridge pins still might not fit. You might need a reamer of the right taper to make the bridge pin holes fit the bridge pins. Did the replacement bridge pins you bought say what taper they are? That's important to know. You need to try to match that taper if you are going to ream out the holes a bit.

Overall, it might be better to live with the slotted bridge pins that the guitar came with. As you can see from the above, you can make the bridge work better (i.e., string slots in the bridge, unslotted bridge pins, bridge pin holes that fit the bridge pins just right), but you have to crack a few eggs to make this particular omelet.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: otherDoc (Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:29 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Find a local luthier that will let you watch while he or she fits your unslotted pins and ramps and slots your bridge. Maybe a 1/2 hour of billable time to do the full job. Having seen the work once, a lot of the process questions will be addressed for you, and you'll be able to decide whether you wish to invest in saws, files, and reamers to do your own bridge work in the future.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: otherDoc (Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:31 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for your suggestions. Since I would rather not cut the slots in the bridge, I will order some ebony or bone slotted pins. Yes the slotless pins fit the holes without the strings being inserted.
otherDoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
A few years ago there was a group that put together a box of the tools needed to do this and they maintained a list of people who were interested. You were sent the box, used the tools, then given a name of the next person on the list to send it to. IIRC, they ended up with 3-4 boxes and hundreds people who eventually took advantage. I did one I made, then looked at my 1974 Martin 000-28 (original owner) and found that it had a partially slotted bridge AND slotted pins. I deepened the slots and changed the pins. Can't say that I notice a difference in sound, but I don't notice much anymore.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I understand about the lack o noticing. At 73 I tend to notice less too. I actually have all o the right tools, but I will decline to cut the slots since they would not be present in other Larrivees. I just ordered some slotted bone pins, so we shall see i they make a difference in sound.
otherDoc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:36 am 
Koa
Koa

I'm not sure if any likely decrease in the value of a Larrivee due to alteration offsets the benefits associated with using traditional construction (i.e., unslotted pins and ramped/slotted bridge), but I have to assume you have researched the reasons behind why factory builders like Martin and Larrivee fail to properly fit their bridge pins (hint: $).

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
I never knew that unslotted pins were better in some way. Slotted is all I've ever seen.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:26 am 
Koa
Koa

Rather than repeat all the arguments for unslotted pins and proper fitting, I would suggest reviewing posts on the topic in the archives here and over on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Post #32 in the linked thread by Mr. John Arnold is as good a summary of the advantages of unslotted pins as we have seen:

https://umgf.com/bridge-pins-t190111-s20.html

Post #5 of the linked thread below by Mr. Arnold is the best technical discussion of the issue we've seen, and the source of the drawings we use here in the shop as visual aids to explain the problems which arise from modern, poorly fitted, soft thermoplastic pins, constant diameter bridge pin holes, and failure of manufacturers to slot and properly ramp pinned bridges.

https://umgf.com/bridge-pin-damage-t881.html

Slotted pins on a new guitar tell me that the builder - whether factory or small shop - could not be bothered to properly complete the job. I have broken more fingernails when ramping and slotting bridges than any other common job here in the shop, but feel that my contribution to the longevity of the instrument being worked more than compensates.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:43 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks again for the info.
otherDoc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Well I installed some bone slotted pins and the tone did improve. My wife says it is "brighter". Good enough for me.
otherDoc