Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
mqbernardo wrote:
I think they look super!
Another thing, I really like the way you do the end grafts... can we get a close up pic?

I myself actually find French polishing relaxing. Pore filling otoh is my crux. Then again, never met anyone who actually liked pore filling.

All the best,
Miguel.

Here is a shot of a Sapele 00. I use an edge vise from https://www.luthiertool.com/edge_vise.html as a router guide and make acrylic templates on my cnc. It's pretty quick taking about 20 minutes from start to ready for finish. The purflings are hand mitered with a sharp chisel and obviously the infill piece can be made from whatever you want. There are a bunch of builders out there doing the same thing. Note:my tail block is made from europly plywood making the end graft only decorative, though if you use a strip of solid wood it would likely still serve its original purpose.

Best, Michael

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:21 am 
Koa
Koa

ernie wrote:
I/m defintely not in the wailing camp concerning finishing. I/ve always enjoyed the process.as in my previous life /career back in vancouver bc I did a lot of cabinetwork, and furniture repair in the 80/s . Michael nice work there !. Did you get the idea of the epoxy silvertip filler from the GAL article by ?J greven. I like to use a variety of finishes FP, ca finsh as a uke filler. nitro. cabinetmakers varnish , oil stains , ngr , water base stains and filler etc etc , Finishing is defintely a whole other skill set, and those who sub out the finishing process are getting excellent results , as well the DIY types like me still enjoy the process

Hi Ernie,

I got the idea for using Silvertip from my friend Jay Lichty who may have gotten the idea from John... One of the things I like about Silvertip is that I can re-coat without having to sand the epoxy back as long as I do it within 72hrs. Also the 6hrs between coats is pretty swell.

Last edited by Michaeldc on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:42 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Victor
Last Name: Seal
City: Osseo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49266
I have used oil violin varnish on all of my instruments with the exception of 2 classical that I built for myself. One of them was black walnut with a pumice\shellac pore fill. Both were FP finished. I actually enjoy the finishing part of the build. I guess that I am comfortable with the oil varnish and hesitant to try something different.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Thanks michael I have jays long video, think I loaded it off the OLF forum, for those who are interested . Thanks for the link to chris, been doin it (end grafts ) by hand for yrs. , I like the more precision look that you posted vy cool !!

These users thanked the author ernie for the post: Michaeldc (Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:42 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michael, are you routing for the end graft after the bindings are already on?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Tell ya what, I used CA as a pore fill on my last guitar and I'm not sure I'll ever use anything else again. Do you hate pore filling? Wouldn't it be great if you could pore fill a guitar in 30 minutes? Then CA is the pore fill for you. That's right step right up folks...

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:15 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
jfmckenna wrote:
Tell ya what, I used CA as a pore fill on my last guitar and I'm not sure I'll ever use anything else again. Do you hate pore filling? Wouldn't it be great if you could pore fill a guitar in 30 minutes? Then CA is the pore fill for you. That's right step right up folks...

I’ve never tried it, but I’ve heard horror stories of noxious fumes, stinging eyes, nausea from someone who did.

What do you use to avoid all that? I don’t want to hijack, so maybe we should start a new thread on CA pore fill, but I’m very curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

pat macaluso wrote:
Michael, are you routing for the end graft after the bindings are already on?

Yes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

rlrhett wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

I’ve never tried it, but I’ve heard horror stories of noxious fumes, stinging eyes, nausea from someone who did.

What do you use to avoid all that? I don’t want to hijack, so maybe we should start a new thread on CA pore fill, but I’m very curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only times I ever used thin CA was to stabilize ancient Brazilian Rosewood. In that case, I wanted a clear finish. Not that it matters to me anymore (and maybe it doesn't matter to any of you) but how could you dye an instrument that has been pore filled with CA?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have not tried it but my guess is that you could die or stain the wood the way you want it and then pore fill with the CA an in effect it would set the color. I did sand the CA back to wood so that could be a problem. But basically I use the CA like a traditional oil filler. Fill the pores and sand back to wood. So I guess what ever process works for that would work with CA.

I used Star Bond medium CA and set up a work bench and a fan. I have a breeze way garage with my band saw and other dust making machines in it. Open up both doors for cross ventilation and blow the powerful fan across the work and out the other door. No fumes at all. I use a credit card and squegie it across the grain then wipe it off with a paper towel.

BTW you can get CA that doesn't have the noxious fumes but it's expensive. In any case you would definitely want to do this out door's unless you have a nice hood or something.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:00 pm) • Haans (Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm)