Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
Focus: Build
I have a Laguna LT24 resaw that I bought new in 2004. I run it with a power feed and it's a great saw. It has an Italian SEIMEC 4.8 H.P single phase motor on it. They have since changed to Baldor and Leeson motors. Still runs great, but the capacitors are shot. The local motor shop sold me new capacitors a few years ago, which never worked. I've had to hand start it since. I don't know what the original capacitors were rated at. Laguna might be able to help, but they have failed me before. I do have a query into them. Anyone have this saw, with the same motor that might be able to give me some info off their capacitors? Thanks, Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
fwiw i HAVE AN O2 LAGUNA LT 20 it had the original, but burnt euro 4.8 hp motor with some new capacitors . I got rid of it,. motor/capacitors. Don/t know if the capacitors were replacements. But it seems you can find perhaps an american size equivalent on e bay ?. I got a 5 hp Leeson from laguna.. You can ask the main suppliers of the euro motors in Italy what the capacitors are rated for ?? Or ask a local electrical shop what an american equivalent size voltage/amperage it would take to charge the motor. . The ratings voltage and amperage should be stamped on the motor , removing motor is a real pita good luck. Keep bugging lagoonie , they do have the shop manual specs , so they might be able to help you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Ernie. Laguna does not have the specs unfortunately. I'll try to follow up with the manufacturer of the motor. Motor is still a good one, just has the capacitor issue. I did take the motor out once to be shop tested and I know what you mean about the difficulty removing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Bpb . FWIW is that one of those generic centauro motors? I believe that there are a number of different brand names posted on these bandsaws all coming from the same factory in N. Italy. ? You could also ask the tech mechanic at minimax scmi I called them for info on my minimax s 45 BS , The mechanical tech at the time was Italian , so you might ask them? I believe they. BS. all use similiar motors ? If you could find a reliable electric motor shop, they may be able to tell you what type and size american capacitor would be a suitable replacement. Personally I would just replace it with the OEM from europe, aren/t these Italian BS popular all over europe ???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I went through all types of heartaches when I first got my Laguna many years ago.

I had the same problem with the capacitors.
I finally ended up switching out the motor to a Baldor and it works perfectly -that’s my recommendation.

I kept bugging the company and they gave me the Baldor motor at cost -I think it was only a couple hundred bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"The local motor shop sold me new capacitors a few years ago, which never worked. I've had to hand start it since"

Do you know if the capacitors are "run" caps or "start" caps. There can be a 10 fold difference in micro farads depending on their use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Laguna was finally able to help me, hopefully. They did not have the specs on these Italian motors, but asked me to send them a photo of the info plate on the motor. They are getting me what they think are the correct caps. I don't know if they are run or start caps, but they said on this motor the 2 caps are the same. Hoping for the best!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Right bob the 2caps are the same, !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the replies. Should have my parts in a few days and hopefully that solves the problem.--Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

So how are things on the Big Island? Are you seeing much dust from Kilauea? Sounds like your neighbors are having a rough time of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm 10 miles away and in the opposite direction of the trade winds, so other than the sound of the volcano and the glow in the night sky we're not affected.