It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Martin 2-17
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:56 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I used to own a 1929 2-17 and it was my favorite guitar until it had to go in for a neck reset and the guys at the shop took all the mojo out of it. Never played or sounded the same, so I sold it.

Do y'all think there are plans somewhere out there that I can use to make a replica?

Post subject: Re: Martin 2-17
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
Not sure, but what do you think could have happened during the reset? Was it a reputable shop and did you talk to them about it?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The size 2 is similar to the size 1 in most respects but with slightly narrower bouts ( 3/4 inch narrower low b.) and a slightly shorter scale length. (1/4 inch shorter). You could adapt a size 1 plan or use Antes parlor plan (which is more of a Washburn shape).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Clay S. wrote:
The size 2 is similar to the size 1 in most respects but with slightly narrower bouts ( 3/4 inch narrower low b.) and a slightly shorter scale length. (1/4 inch shorter). You could adapt a size 1 plan or use Antes parlor plan (which is more of a Washburn shape).

The Guild of American Luthiers has a set of plans for a 1-18. Antes calls his parlor plans a "small concert", it is 18-3/8 long and about 12 wide.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:13 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for the responses. Are there any parlor sized 12-fret kits I can give a try in the mean time before I get too obsessive? Preferably with a 24 7/16 inch neck or in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 am 
Walnut
Walnut

pat macaluso wrote:
Not sure, but what do you think could have happened during the reset? Was it a reputable shop and did you talk to them about it?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

It was years ago. They brought the action down too far. Cleaned up all the aged bits when I told them to leave it alone, so it looked liked a brand new guitar instead of from the '20s. And it took them many months, so I wasn't going to wait around again. They didn't follow any instructions, basically.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:46 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
KawaiianPunch wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Are there any parlor sized 12-fret kits I can give a try in the mean time before I get too obsessive? Preferably with a 24 7/16 inch neck or in the ballpark.

LMI sells a kit that pretty well matches the Antes parlor plans. As I recall they provide a 24.625 scale fretboard and neck with the kit while the plans call for 24.5 inch scale (it is a pretty simple matter to move the bridge). I have built three guitars from the Antes parlor plans and I really like that size guitar. The LMI kit wizard lets you customize the materials and the amount that you want them to do for you which is a really nice feature.

The Antes plans do have a couple of things to be aware of, if you decide to built one I can help with that. Here is a typical LMI kit

Here are two of the Antes parlors

One nice thing is that they fit in a commercially available case

Little anecdote. I submitted one of those guitars to the Steel String Listening Seminar at last years GAL convention (builders submit guitars to a single player who plays the same thing on each. The builder describes the guitar, answers questions.) After the seminar someone came up and commented on how they liked the guitar and how well it projected. I asked where they were sitting, they said the very back of the hall. For a small guitar these are remarkably loud.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:39 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Freeman,

They're beautiful. I have an immense fondness for small, lightweight guitars. [clap]