Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Focus: Build
Maybe this will help

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
As I mentioned earlier when I pull my trigger half way back the regulator at the gun drops down to zero despite air coming out at a seemingly consistent pressure. The moment I let go, the needle jumps back up to reading the same as the regulator at the compressor. The adjustment knob on the side of the gun regulator only seems to do two things; turn air off, or let it go through 100%. There is obviously air coming through at various levels of pressure depending on how I set the compressor, so I think the 0 reading the regulator on my gun gives me when I hold the trigger down is inaccurate. Am I missing something or does it seem like this regulator doesn't work.

As an aside, when I hold the trigger down the compressor regulator drops 10psi. Does it seem safe to assume that if I'm getting the same reading at the gun as the compressor that the pressure at the gun is also dropping 10psi when the trigger is pulled?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

This is starting to look better.

More thinning, slower and more consistent passes, works wonder.

I sure appreciate the patience and availability of everyone here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Slick as glass. Congrats, you're on a roll!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
Looking better for sure. I'm thinking that you maybe don't have a regulator at the gun in your setup. I'll usually crank the one
onboard the compressor up 70- 80psi to ensure enough air volume and use the reg. on the gun to set my working pressure, the only
one that counts. When the trigger is pulled, that's your working presssure, as indicated by gun regulator gauge. Most will look something
like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ken Lewis wrote:
Looking better for sure. I'm thinking that you maybe don't have a regulator at the gun in your setup. I'll usually crank the one
onboard the compressor up 70- 80psi to ensure enough air volume and use the reg. on the gun to set my working pressure, the only
one that counts. When the trigger is pulled, that's your working presssure, as indicated by gun regulator gauge. Most will look something
like this.

This is what came with my gun. Is it possible that all it is, is a guage that reads the "standing pressure" or something and not actually a regulator? Seems kind of useless to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
Looks like a gauge with on off valve(pinch valve maybe) and little filter. No regulator.... I think.

These users thanked the author Ken Lewis for the post: Conor_Searl (Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:45 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

So my ultra thinned lacquer levelled itself out nicely, but not without some new hiccups.

I assume sanding between clear coats is okay, as the subsequent coats melt into the previous ones. But I've got some obvious blemishes that I need to deal with, and I'm not sure if I can just level sand them out of the way or if I need to go back to wood. It is only one coat of lacquer.

First there are a few air bubbles, I tried poking most of the big ones with a nail as the lacquer was setting up, but I missed a few.
Attachment:
air bubbles.JPG

Then there were a few drips, and some brush marks where I tried to move some lacquer that was pooling. In the past I've used a razor blade to scrape them level.
Attachment:
drips.JPG

Attachment:
brush marks.JPG

Then there was a little orange peel where the lacquer didn't flow, but I figure subsequent coats will fill those spots.
Attachment:
orange peel.JPG

Lastly, the doozy. There was a drip that came through one of the control holes I assumed it was dry, touched it and it peeled off taking some of the color with it. The wood had been dyed, and I also added some dye to this coat as a toner, to even out the color. Can I drop fill this?
Attachment:
skinned off.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

So, for those of you interested I never did adequately figure out my spray issues. But I think my biggest problem is a compressor that's on the small side, I found I'd get great even coverage at the beginning of a pass, but by the end of my pass all my pressure would be gone. Arrgh. This coupled with the overall steepish learning curve for spraying in general, waterborn lacquer specifically, a dusty garage, and my general overall impatience I've hung the spray gun up for the time being and settled on brushing the lacquer on with pretty great results. Take a look...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
You might want to fill the pores on the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

Yeah I did end up filling the pores. Those other pictures are from a previous attempt. I sanded it all back to wood and started over after I took those.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
This is encouraging. Your brushed finish turned out excellent. Probably a little more elbow grease required but no expensive noisy compressor. That's awesome! I've got to try it.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 am 
Koa
Koa

banjopicks wrote:
This is encouraging. Your brushed finish turned out excellent. Probably a little more elbow grease required but no expensive noisy compressor. That's awesome! I've got to try it.

That’s what I thought too. I was toughing my way through the spray learning curve because I figured that’s just what you have to do, but I was so frustrated. I will come back to it, once there aren’t learning curves every step of the way. :D

With brushing I found you definitely have to babysit it a little bit, especially any contoured parts and it’s not as efficient. I’d do a section wait a half hour, turn it on it’s side do another section, etc. But I didn’t find it to be to much more elbow grease, the water based lacquer I used, thinned appropriately, levelled itself out so nicely. There were a lot of air bubbles that would rise after brushing it on, but I used a trick a friend taught me, as the lacquer began to settle I’d hold my brush at 90 degrees to the surface and gently run it along the length of the piece, it would get rid of practically all the bubbles. And I was able to do it all in the comfort of my lesson studio/workspace. Put some tunes on, and putter away at other things while I’d wait for a surface to set up.