Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Jules wrote:

Had Antes taken the time to provide dimensions for the neck, there would have been no concerns. Critical dimensions should always be noted. It should not be left to the purchaser of the plan to scale those critical dimensions. All it would have taken is a few extra minutes to note those dimensions before submitting his plan for sale. Antes instead states, "Dimensions not specified may be scaled."

I'm posting this for anyone who does not have a set of Antes plans

Attachment:
IMG_4527.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
There is something in this whole discussion that I am not grasping. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know

If I am making an exact Martin replica, of a certain year, the scale matters.

If you are making an OM size, generic, does it matter what your scale is?

SCGC uses 25.375, many small builders use 25.5 and they are using the OM designation based on the body. It's a fine point to talk about how the scale length really defines the OM and the other are 000 or GC, unless you are building an exact, specific year, Martin copy. Very few builders do that. What really matters is the way you are tooled should be consistent with whichever you are building.
The original production OM was a pretty specific beast built for 3 years in the '30s. Things varied after that.

Just wondering what you guys think

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Julie
Last Name: Moriarty
City: Punta Gorda
State: FL
Zip/Postal Code: 33950
I guess it all depends on the individual. One of the things I love about Dan Erlewine is he is meticulous, precise and thrives for perfection. Seeing how widely he is regarded and respected, I am apparently not alone in my admiration of him.

I can only imagine that when Martin originally developed the 25.34" scale for their OM, they went to the hundredths for good reason. And, if what I have read is accurate, players loved the OM and that included that specific scale. On Martin's website they refer to 25.4" as the scale they use on their OM and Dreadnought. But is that a generic use of the scale and the scale still remains 25.34"? I don't know. What I do know is Stew Mac does not sell a 25.4" fret template or rule. They are both 25.34" for the Martin long scale.

Would anyone have a problem altering the scale of a Fender Strat or Tele by a few hundredths? I would think that would get people screaming, if they knew. All of the Strats and Teles I've made adhere religiously to the 25.5" scale because, to me, precision matters. When I made a bass based on the Ric, I stuck with the 33.25" scale that bass had originally, even though there were no fret templates available at the time. But that's what the player wanted.

In the reading I've done about how certain guitar makers came up with their specific scales, the thing I see over and over is that particular scale created a sound players wanted. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's a video on YouTube where some big names in guitar repair talked about the fall of Gibson. They seemed to be in agreement that the scales Gibson chose weren't well liked, in part because they were hard to intonate. Gibson scales are only a fraction off Martin's short scale yet it caused at least three seasoned professionals to conclude that it contributed to their downfall.

So yeah, I'd say adhering precisely to a tried and true scale matters if you wish to achieve a reasonable semblance of the original.

These users thanked the author Jules for the post: bcombs510 (Tue May 29, 2018 3:07 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
It's interesting and I never noticed before, but LMI does have a 25.4 slotting template (SPFS2) and a 25.34 slotting template (SPFS14). I bought the 25.4 template because the Antes plan said 25.4.

A question to all you folks :) - I mill the saddle slot after the bridge is on the guitar. I can't imagine someone can hear the difference in scale length of 25.4 and 25.34 on the same guitar body, if the saddle slot was cut to the correct location in both instances. I would assume the 25.34 would be critical if you were slotting an existing Martin instrument where the saddle slot was already cut. Am I correct in thinking this? Or can you really hear a difference between these two scale lengths (on the exact same guitar body)?

Edited to add: I guess I just asked the same question as Tim a couple posts up. Sorry about that, but I am interested!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Also, we should update the title to say 25.4 and 25.34 so there is no confusion? :)

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Jules (Wed May 30, 2018 9:36 am)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sometimes I get a headache... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Haans wrote:
Sometimes I get a headache... :shock:

Sorry, was it something I said? 8-) BTW: Thoroughly enjoying the Mando thread over in the other forum. Your work is amazing. :)

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Haans (Wed May 30, 2018 7:04 am)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Jules wrote:
According to the Stew Mac fret template I have, the Martin "short" scale is 24.9". In Kinkead's book, as he discusses the history of the OM, he says three years after the introduction of the OM model, it was merged "with the 000, 14 fret neck series of guitars, which had a shorter scale length". The book does not say what that scale is. It does say, after the merge, the OM model wouldn't die and Martin finally resumed production of the OM.

Based on the timeline we use in the shop, the OM (as stamped on the neck block, and long scale, 000 body shape, and 1-3/4" nut) was made from 1929 to 1933, with Martin offering a complete line of 'Orchestra Model' guitars - 0, 00, 000, and D - by 1934, dropping the OM designation as pertaining to any one particular model (so the OM-18 of 1933 is the 000-18 of 1934, with neck block stamp to match). In 1939, bowing to the demands of a vocal minority of small-handed guitar players, Martin narrowed the nut to 1-11/16" on all of the Orchestra Models, so the 000-18 became a long scale guitar with 000 body and 1-11/16" nut. In the 1940's, Martin rationalized their offerings, and the 0, 00, and 000 14 fret instruments began sharing a common, shorter scale length of what is referred to by many as 24.9". Although a few long-scale 'OM's were built on special order prior to 1990, that is the year that Martin finally reintroduced the OM (a 1/4" scallop-braced, long scale, 1-3/4" nut guitar) alongside the standard 5/16" straight-braced, short scale, 1-11/16" wide nut standard 000.

One note on the Antes plans - they are all quite awful with regard to accuracy. We are certainly on the fence here in the shop as to whether Mr. Antes ever built an instrument, or even measured the prototypes which inspired the drawings, but it would appear likely that he did not, given that the plans are dramatically over-braced, and have some glaring technical errors, such as tuner post spacing and poor descriptions of trim elements such as the rosette. On body shape, our own tracings of 1930 and 1933 OM instruments vary considerably from Mr. Ante's efforts, just as his Size 5 inspired 3/4 size guitar and his Size 2-inspired Small Concert plans are clearly not based on a tracing of either of those prototypes.

In general, other than Mr. Arnold's carefully documented early 1930's tracings with measurements for D and 000 instruments, nothing in the way of the plans we've seen or have in hand do a very good job of documenting vintage Martin 0, 00, 000, or D instruments, so getting the details correct becomes an exercise in seeing enough older instruments to sample the variations and decide on which elements are appropriate (for a reproduction) or to use (for an 'inspired by').

On Martin developing the long scale for the OM, it's worth noting that the long scale was used on early 00 guitars per Martin (there is more than a bit of debate on this point) and on the 000 when introduced early in the 20th century. Martin's own reproduction of the Ditson dreadnought uses a long scale, so it may be that by 1917, both the 000 and large Ditsons were using that scale length, so Martin's choice to employ the long scale on the OM in 1929 may have been more a case of their largest guitars already using it than some of the other reasons floated on UMGF and other enthusiast sites.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Wed May 30, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): Jonny (Wed May 30, 2018 3:42 pm) • Jules (Wed May 30, 2018 9:43 am) • bcombs510 (Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 am)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:53 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Julie
Last Name: Moriarty
City: Punta Gorda
State: FL
Zip/Postal Code: 33950
Woodie G wrote:
One note on the Antes plans - they are all quite awful with regard to accuracy. We are certainly on the fence here in the shop as to whether Mr. Antes ever built an instrument, or even measured the prototypes which inspired the drawings, but it would appear likely that he did not, given that the plans are dramatically over-braced, and have some glaring technical errors, such as tuner post spacing and poor descriptions of trim elements such as the rosette.

I was aware of the over bracing issue, Woodie. I attributed that to possibly "playing it safe". As you expertly noted, the plans are awful and I would guess most experienced luthiers would realize that quite quickly upon inspection. More importantly, experienced luthiers wouldn't be purchasing those plans so the plans are most likely to end up in the hands of novices and maybe that's why they over-braced.

As to the tuner spacing, what should those numbers be?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
The spacing given on the McRostie plan is representative of the spacing on many Martins with 3+3 tuners - the first pair of tuner posts are spaced 1-7/16" apart (E2/E4) center to center (C2C), as are the second pair (A/B), with the third pair spaced 1-11/16" apart C2C. From the face of the nut, the first pair of posts are 1-7/8" up the peghead, with 1-5/8" spacing between the three pairs...all of this based on a 2-7/8" wide headstock of 6-1/2" length from the face of the nut. With a 1-3/4" nut and the usual E2/E4 inset distances, this provides good string paths from nut to tuner posts, and adequate set-ins which can accommodate either bushed or screw-down tuners.

We see a lot of variation, but the pattern - relatively narrow spacing for the first two pairs, and roughly 1/4" wider spacing on the last pair seems to work, although I feel it's probably worth the effort to draw the nut and peghead full scale to check clearances if in doubt, or if using something new in terms of a head shape.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Jules (Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 pm)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I've wondered for a long time why 25.34" and 25.4" scale lengths would even exist with such an insignificant difference between them. Coincidentally a similar topic was on the AGF last week and John Arnold posted this:

"Martin chose to include first string compensation in their scale lengths. For example, Martin's 25.4 scale actually figures to be 25.34 when you double the nut to 12th fret distance."

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Jules (Wed May 30, 2018 1:54 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed May 30, 2018 12:22 pm)