Post subject: Wholesale Accounts?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Focus: Build
Do any of you have wholesale or reseller relationships with industry suppliers? If so, I'd be interested in learning which companies offer accounts for builders and how they work. I've looked around a bit but have not found any useful information. If it matters, I have both federal and state tax identification numbers, as well as a city business license.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Wholesale Accounts?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:13 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Allen
Last Name: McFarlen
City: Mt. Sheridan
State: Qld.
Zip/Postal Code: 4868
I have quite a few and it was nothing more than a phone call or emailing and asking if they will provide luthier pricing.

Most companies will require proof that you are a going concern. Some ask for Business registration documentation, industry afflilcation memberships and Website address etc.

And most require a certain volume per year or minimum order.

Cairns, Australia

These users thanked the author Allen McFarlen for the post: George L (Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks! I appreciate your reply. Minimum orders/volume may be a stumbling block for me unless I can crank up my output. Hmm ... will continue to investigate. [:Y:]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Are you primarily an electric or acoustic builder? The elec suppliers tend to have better wholesale discounts.If you buy enough from Stew Mac they just give you the wholesale pricing automatically. For acoustic a lot of the suppliers *( the main ones) give a discount if you buy more then 5-10. Also keep in mind that its the shipping sometimes that makes everything expensive unless your buying multiples to spread the cost out.

These users thanked the author dofthesea for the post: George L (Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

To this point, I've built only acoustic instruments.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Hardware and electronics are easy to get wholesale if you are a legit business and have the documents like tax license and an EIN. Allparts & WD music are two of the big ones but even small companies like Fralin Pickups will give wholesale pricing if you have the paper. I get all my bone blanks and a lot of my fretwire from Allparts.

Lumber is harder to get wholesale if you are not buying in 100's or preferably 1000's of BDF at a shot and acoustic wood sets are a highly specialty item which usually means harder to obtain at substantial discount........

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: George L (Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:23 am)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:21 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
dofthesea wrote:
If you buy enough from Stew Mac they just give you the wholesale pricing automatically.

StewMac recently (March 2018) implemented a new policy on 'to the trade discounts' - the SM 'Advantage' automatic discount pricing was replaced with a Wholesale Pricing Program. The new program requires a higher $2,500 yearly minimum (versus the $1000 Advantage discount), requirement for EIN or other business ID, and a web site - pretty much evidence of a going business concern. Discounts apply to far more items, though - over 700 according to the StewMac site, and unlike the Advantage program, there is no threshold amount which must be purchased...just the yearly minimum to remain in the program.

We have business relationships with a number of parts and materials providers, and requirements to be considered a B2B customer vary from the standard EIN, business license, and yearly minimum to a note to the effect that we are a business. My recommendation is to call or send an email to the sales and marketing point of contact for the company of interest and inquire...sometimes, that is all that is needed.

Finally, we do not expect anything like wholesale pricing from other small businesses that sell highly specialized products in small quantities, such as specialized jig or fixture builders...these businesses are already more or less selling 'to the trade' only, and the pricing reflects that customer base. Otherwise, it depends...if ordering a large quantity of items, we might ask for a quantity discount or some adjustment on shipping (e.g., actually cost versus advertised rate).

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: George L (Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 am)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
Ameritage used to give a good discount on their cases if you are a builder. Both standard and custom.
Not sure if they still do. You would need to call them and ask.
My experience in buying shop supplies over 40 years is that the discount comes with bulk or consistent ordering from the same company.

These users thanked the author Tim L for the post: George L (Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:29 am)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tom
Last Name: Neal
City: Hudson
State: Illinois
D'Addario and LR Baggs have been the most beneficial for me. I go through a lot of strings and pickups. Very easy to deal with especially LR Baggs.
I also have accounts with Fishman ($2000 minimum for first order) and SFM who distributes Hiscox cases and AER amps. Good price break on cases but shipping is a killer!

I joined NAMM a couple of years ago and made a lot of contacts at the shows. You do gain a bit of respect from some of the larger dealers but I probably won't continue my membership as most of their other benefits don't apply to me.

T

These users thanked the author Tommy K for the post: George L (Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:29 am)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Gil
Last Name: Draper
City: Knoxville
State: Tennessee
Tim L wrote:
Ameritage used to give a good discount on their cases if you are a builder. Both standard and custom.
Not sure if they still do. You would need to call them and ask.
My experience in buying shop supplies over 40 years is that the discount comes with bulk or consistent ordering from the same company.

They still do. I order a handful of custom cases from them per year.