Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:07 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I have a guitar ,in the shop, that seriously needs a neck reset...Strings are on the frets and saddle is very high....The guitar was passed down from Grandfather to Grandson and the owner considers it priceless...The guitar neck was reset before and it was not properly done...The problem is, it appears that epoxy was used....I used a Heating pad on the fingerboard extension , set at 250 deg and it would not release...I may go higher with temp but don't want to do any damage.....Plan B...Route off the fingerboard extension to get at the pocket, drill out the Epoxy and replace it after neck reset....Any other suggestions?

Sawing off the neck is not an option ...Like I said the reset was not done correctly...Instead of making corrections on the neck heel the guy who reset the neck, cut into the body to get the angle that it is now causing a problem.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sounds like a lose-lose situation. I would be inclined to hand it back to the owner and explain the problems. Sometimes you are better off not taking on someone else's abortion.

If it was mine and I couldn't get the epoxy to release I might be inclined to cut through the heel where it meets the neck and put a small wedge to "lift" the neck to the proper angle. It would be pretty unorthodox and require careful matching of the wood and excellent touch up skills - not something I would attempt on someone else's instrument.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
It might be worse than epoxy..... it might be superglue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
I want to see photos..!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:14 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I will get some pics tomorrow.....This owner wants it to play again and if it doesn't work he will just hang it back on the wall....I could have said no but i'm willing to give it a try as long as he knows the outcome may not be good...I think routing off the extension to the 14 fret may be my best option.I have Rosewood fingerboards that are pretty close to what there...But I am sure open to suggestions :) ....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I had an older Ibanez a while back with an epoxied neck joint. I was able to release the fretboard extension but had to remove it at 14 to dig out the joint with steam and spatulas. What a gooey mess. Wound up converting it to a bolt on.

So the neck is overset with a high saddle and low strings?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

My understanding is the CA will release eventually with acetone. No so epoxy.

Either way, whoever did it vandalized an innocent instrument. I'd try to avoid that 'repair' if I could.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Focus: Build
On this thread
viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=38706&p=507547&hilit=epoxy#p507547

A couple posters mention that they have released epoxied fingerboards with heat. I realize that it's easier to get heat into a fingerboard than a neck joint.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Terence Kennedy wrote:
I had an older Ibanez a while back with an epoxied neck joint. I was able to release the fretboard extension but had to remove it at 14 to dig out the joint with steam and spatulas. What a gooey mess. Wound up converting it to a bolt on.

So the neck is overset with a high saddle and low strings?

Yes the neck is over set....If things work out I will maybe go bolt on also

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have removed epoxy glued raised panels from the rails and stiles using an oscillating tool with a sharpened spatula blade. Cutting through the fingerboard at the fret slot where the neck joins the body and using heat and the spatula you might be able to lift the fingerboard extension. With the right blade mounted, an oscillating tool would allow you to plunge cut the epoxy holding the dovetail in. Sounds like a messy job no matter how you do it. (where is the can of worms emoji)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Alan Carruth wrote:
My understanding is the CA will release eventually with acetone. No so epoxy.

Either way, whoever did it vandalized an innocent instrument. I'd try to avoid that 'repair' if I could.

Off topic but I have laid acetone around CA glued K&K pickup transducers with a syringe and needle to saturate the wood, waited a minute or two and they have popped right off.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 3): Colin North (Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 am) • IanC (Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:48 am) • DanKirkland (Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Dan
Last Name: Savage
City: Trabuco Canyon
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92679
Lab wrote:
I used a Heating pad on the fingerboard extension , set at 250 deg and it would not release...I may go higher with temp but don't want to do any damage

You're on the right track. But, heating the fretboard extension won't get enough heat into the epoxy holding the neck on.

You need to heat the neck heel and the neck block inside the body to heat the epoxy. I use this technique to remove the necks of the Ovation guitars I work on.

The best way to heat the neck block and neck heel is to use a heat gun. Work back and forth to heat the heel and neck block evenly.

Basically, you need to heat soak the surrounding area and bring it up to a temperature of about 190-200 degrees. Once the epoxy starts absorbing the heat, you can start to work the neck joint back and forth a little to break the epoxy bond enough to pop the neck out of its joint.

Once you've got the neck out, you can use the heat gun to heat up the epoxy and scrape it off the wood without any damage to the wood itself.

These users thanked the author DanSavage for the post: Colin North (Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
That sounds like a good way to have the headblock come loose from the sides and the guitar start to come apart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for the info and advice....I have the neck off...The extension was routed off (I will make a new one)..There was enough epoxy around the binding to hold it in place so I left it there....I found that the neck didn't have a dove tail joint...I ran a magnet around the heel and it was attracted to a metal inside the heel...There was no bolts that I could see holding the neck...I removed the heel cap and sure enough a screw was screwed up through to fix a previous crack in the heel....I ran a narrow hot spatula down on either side of the truss rod but it would only go down about 1"....I pushed a narrow Chisel down in the opening and got lucky...The Epoxy broke away from the finish ...I kept moving the neck back and forth until it came off the four wooden dowls that were also installed.....I am going to convert it into a bolt on neck...Thanks again

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Dan
Last Name: Savage
City: Trabuco Canyon
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92679
Barry Daniels wrote:
That sounds like a good way to have the headblock come loose from the sides and the guitar start to come apart.

Only if you wave the heat gun around willy-nilly without regard to what you're heating up.

Before neck removal:

After neck removal:

Before epoxy clean-up:

After epoxy clean-up:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If you have a friend or client in health care you can sneak a guitar in for an X-ray. I’ve done that a lot for neck joints I was not familiar with.