Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
George L wrote:
My notes match Daniel's. I thought it was interesting when he said shellac doesn't play well with Endurovar, as shellac typically sticks to most anything, and vice versa.

Im pretty sure I read that here. It is odd though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michael, are you shooting Enduro-var also? If so, do you experience the same thing John was saying in that it almost catalyzes before it hits the surface?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

pat macaluso wrote:
Michael, are you shooting Enduro-var also? If so, do you experience the same thing John was saying in that it almost catalyzes before it hits the surface?

Pat,

No I’m not. I’m using EM6000. After reading more about enduro it seems like a hastle to use. It’s also way more expensive. Are you using it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

No. I used a can of KTM 9 on a couple projects and thought it was okay. Trying to decide which waterbase I should try next. If any. He did make Enduro VAR sound pretty attractive, except for the application hassle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
What do you mean by EV being a hassle to use? It's all I've ever used so maybe I'm enduring undue pain. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

pat macaluso wrote:
No. I used a can of KTM 9 on a couple projects and thought it was okay. Trying to decide which waterbase I should try next. If any. He did make Enduro VAR sound pretty attractive, except for the application hassle.

IMO KTM9 is really hard to use. It likes to sag/run, and it doesn't buff well. Try the EM6000. It's far more forgiving. 3 clues for use: Apply at 2-3 wet mils per coat, wait a full hour between coats @ 70 degrees, and let cure for 2 full weeks before buffing.

M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:38 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

bcombs510 wrote:
What do you mean by EV being a hassle to use? It's all I've ever used so maybe I'm enduring undue pain. :D

The application info was pretty sparse on the website. They gave tip and air cap recommendations and suggested 3 coats (no info about how many wet mils) and then there's the 21 day cure time. Admittedly I only scanned to info. I may get a quart to mess with anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bcombs510 wrote:
Brad, are you spraying or brushing? John Greven says that when he sprays EV it catalyzes so fast he has to hold the gun just a couple inches from the guitar to get it on in time. But, he says the results look and wear the same as nitro.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:04 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

pat macaluso wrote:
bcombs510 wrote:
Brad, are you spraying or brushing? John Greven says that when he sprays EV it catalyzes so fast he has to hold the gun just a couple inches from the guitar to get it on in time. But, he says the results look and wear the same as nitro.

Jay mentioned that he'd gotten the same responce from Cat Fox (sp), with her thinking that his brushed EM6000 was nitro...

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

pat macaluso wrote:
bcombs510 wrote:

I spray with a 1mm tip using a Earlex sprayer. I haven’t had that experience but I also have only sprayed 4 instruments so far, so take it for what it’s worth.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:40 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 am 
Koa
Koa

bcombs510 wrote:
pat macaluso wrote:
bcombs510 wrote:

I spray with a 1mm tip using a Earlex sprayer. I haven’t had that experience but I also have only sprayed 4 instruments so far, so take it for what it’s worth.

Brad

Brad,

How many coats, and how thick? What's your cure time before buffing been?

Thanks, M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michaeldc wrote:
Brad,

How many coats, and how thick? What's your cure time before buffing been?

Thanks, M

I do three coats on the back and sides, fairly wet (I don’t know exactly how thick, sorry), and three coats on the top fairly light, giving an hour between coats. Let it sit for a day and then light level sand.

Next day three more coats on the back and sides and two more on the top that are a little heavier than day one.

Let it sit two weeks and then level and buff.

I use our downstairs bathroom as the room where I hang the body and neck between coats. I put a small heater in there to bring the temp up to about 75. I don’t run the heater for the two weeks cure time.

I think the key to getting a good finish with EV without having to really lay it on thick is the 1mm spray tip. There is very little to level when using that tip. Colin North pointed that out to me. His work with EV (especially that matte finish right off the gun!) is excellent.

Also, I should say I use a bit of the extender as described here: https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finish ... d-urethane

I use zpoxy for the pore fill on the back and sides, neck, and rosette. I follow Todd Stocks videos for the pore fill but on the last one I added some hair dryer heat and a foam brush and it worked pretty well.

For my next two builds hat I’m working on now, I plan to do EV on the neck, back and sides and then French polish the top. I’ve never done that before so I’ll be interested to see the results. The tone should be out of this world with the French polish and all. :D!!

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 3): Pmaj7 (Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm) • dpetrzelka (Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am) • Michaeldc (Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 pm)