Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
Focus: Build
TRein wrote:
Aaron O wrote:
Also picked up 2 Shapton Ceramic Stones, 1000 & 8000 and its completely changing what I do with blades. Got a flattening stone coming in.

Aaron, I have not heard of these stones before. I was getting ready to order some King water stones but I need to check these out first. Do the Shapton stones have the same friable surface as regular water stones that keeps them from getting clogged?
Thanks.
Tom

I was looking at King as well. On recommendation from another group, I got the Shaptons. I just got a flattening stone from Sharpening Supplies (?), their "new" two sided one. Works well, and needed.

Also, just got in my Veritas MKII sharpening jig. I was waffling with that and the Lie Nielsen. Not disappointed, and MUCH better than the original Veritas. May. Look at the LN with the long jaws sometime, just because.

Last edited by Aaron O on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Aaron O wrote:
TRein wrote:
Aaron O wrote:
Also picked up 2 Shapton Ceramic Stones, 1000 & 8000 and its completely changing what I do with blades. Got a flattening stone coming in.

Aaron, I have not heard of these stones before. I was getting ready to order some King water stones but I need to check these out first. Do the Shapton stones have the same friable surface as regular water stones that keeps them from getting clogged?
Thanks.
Tom

I was looking at King as well. On recommendation from another group, I got the Shaptons. I just got a flattening stone from Sharpening Supplies (?), their "new" two sided.one. Works well, and needed.

Also, just got in my Veritas MKII sharpening jig. I was waffling with that and the Lie Nielsen. Not disappointed, and MUCH better than the original Veritas. May.look at the LN with the long jaws sometime, just because.

Aaron, we are on the same path I beleive... I just got in a 1k, 5k and 8k Shapton and the Veritas sharpening jig. I also just picked up a 3/4 bench chisel from Lee Valley that should get here today!! bliss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
bcombs510 wrote:
Aaron O wrote:
TRein wrote:

Thanks.
Tom

I was looking at King as well. On recommendation from another group, I got the Shaptons. I just got a flattening stone from Sharpening Supplies (?), their "new" two sided.one. Works well, and needed.

Also, just got in my Veritas MKII sharpening jig. I was waffling with that and the Lie Nielsen. Not disappointed, and MUCH better than the original Veritas. May.look at the LN with the long jaws sometime, just because.

Aaron, we are on the same path I beleive... I just got in a 1k, 5k and 8k Shapton and the Veritas sharpening jig. I also just picked up a 3/4 bench chisel from Lee Valley that should get here today!! bliss

You probably won't need the 5k. But yes, same path!

The Narex set I got from LV as well. I'm breaking them all in making more clamps. Chisels are sharp, and work well. Haven't gone through a lot of wood yet, but I credit the edge to the stones. Then again, the steel takes an edge well; we'll see how long it lasts before needing a stone hit again.

Shouldn't be an issue, the ceramics are a fast setup.

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm)