Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
What new tools and consumables have you discovered lately ? How well do they work in your shop?

We've been trialing some replacements for inexpensive calipers, more flexible, comfortable head-worn magnifiers, a replacement for the cheap, poorly made current generation of X-ACTO and Excel hobby knives, and 'cooler' thin CAs for binding and finish repairs.

Digital Calipers: The gold standard in the shop is the Mitutoyo AOS Digimatic absolute zero caliper. Close to perfect, with smooth movement, accurate return to zero, and hardened stainless steel tips that is trouble free in luthiery use, with the only issues of note the lack of auto-off and the related mediocre life of the LR44 battery. At $125, equipping every bench with the 4" version and the 6" version modified for fret use gets expensive, so to fill the gap, we have been using the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh branded 4" calipers for the past 10 years, and exchanging them for new when they start acting up (usually no more than 12-14 months). Lately, the replacements have been worse than the ones we are exchanging under warranty, so after reviewing available options, we purchased replacement iGaging OriginCal Absolute Origin 4" units at $40 (Amazon Prime) and iGaging EZCal 4" calipers at $21 (Ebay). Both are compared and reviewed in the link below. To summarize, both are very good bench calipers which have the longer lasting CR2032 batteries as standard (the Absolute Origin - like the Mitutoyo AOS Digimatic - does not have auto-off) and are essentially identical in use to the Mitutoyo, which stays cased in the roll-arounds. Both are dust and splash resistant as well to IP54 standard, so suitable for bench use in a wood shop ( a coolant-proof IP64 version with Bluetooth link is about $50). These are not Mitutoyo's...but at less than 1/3 the cost, they are good tools that should survive on the bench, and improve on the Mitutoyo in one or two areas (e.g., battery life is more than doubled with the CR2032 cells and better, much more robust battery cover).

Link: https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00K3PZXMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1522260771&sr=1-1&keywords=igaging%2Bcaliper&th=1

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqZx_FNbSs

Head Mounted Magnifiers: The shop's options up through a few weeks ago were the coif-destroying OptiVisor or my surgical loupes. The OptiVisor - besides being the preferred device in some circles to achieve that 'just slept in my baseball cap' look - limits peripheral vision and has a limited number of close-up lighting options. Further, the visor and lens set is quite expensive - well over $100 for the visor and most useful magnification lenses. The surgical loupes are comfortable, but offer just one magnification and are a pain to flip up...and about $600 for a pair of middling quality. We've been trialing several options and have settled on a $13 eyeglass or elastic headband set with 5 included lenses and a nice, bright, easily directed pair of LED illuminators. The magnifiers can be worn without the batteries installed, or the 3 AAA batteries can be installed at the cost of between 3/4 ounce (Lithium) and 1-1/4 ounces of added weight on the bridge of the nose. Further, the magnifier can be worn over glasses with a little adjustment, although it can get a bit crowded on the bridge of the nose if the glass frames are bulky. The review video is linked not so much because of its stellar insights into the nature of the magnifier, but because the soundtrack is from one of my favorite 1980's cuts of all time - The Outfield's 'Your Love' off of Play Deep. Super-danceable, even if I did get tired of the refrain substituting for a better thought-out pickup line from the wit-challenged but romantically-inclined. These magnifiers are offered by a number of retailers on Amazon and Ebay - all seem identical and should cost about $13 per set delivered, with one-day service through Prime offered at that price.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magnifier-Handsfree-Extension-Replaceable/dp/B077D5Z29W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522267819&sr=8-2&keywords=vorey

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEwg9L7_eoI

A Better X-ACTO Knife: We had a stash of 1970's vintage #11 blades that were just about exhausted when I showed up here to work a few years ago. The replacement blades I found (EXCEL brand) were made in China and were terrible, with soft, poorly-shaped, easily dulled edges...and they would barely stay in our classic, worn-out handles. After looking for better blades, I found an entirely new Japanese-sourced OLFA 9164 Ak-4 handle and blade selection (with the XB-157T blade mapping to X-ACTO's #11). The handle uses a very positive brass and steel clutch mechanism to hold the blade, has an acetone-resistant, faceted, non-rolling handle, and come with perfectly honed, defect-free assortment of blades of consistent sharpness. Highly recommended.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O87TQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link (Blades): https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-Art-Knife-Straight-5-pack/dp/B001KO75UI/ref=pd_sbs_229_23?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001KO75UI&pd_rd_r=YC71BC0Y37MV93XBAWCY&pd_rd_w=uSUTn&pd_rd_wg=sMe7S&refRID=YC71BC0Y37MV93XBAWCY&th=1

A Slower Thin Master Glue and Thin Fill'n'Finish from GluBoost: Most of the thin CAs we have found (e.g., Hot Stuff, Mercury) are too hot to allow us to pad on much finish before the glue kicks. Both of the thins from GluBoost - the thin Master Glue and the thin Fill n'Finish are a bit slower than other brands, allowing deeper penetration for wicked application and more consistent thickness builds on finish repairs. Our latest projects had us binding three Style 42 instruments in a mix of ivoroid, fiber purflings, and shell and a pink ivory/Euro spruce instrument in macasser and fiber purflings. After two light coats of shellac, all were bound without and spills into the body (the glue is perfect viscosity to get good penetration without uncontrolled runs), and the glue files, scrapes, and sands well for clean-up. Great stuff.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 7): Smylight (Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:57 am) • Bobc (Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:30 pm) • DanKirkland (Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:53 pm) • DannyV (Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:29 am) • Pmaj7 (Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm) • Michaeldc (Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:19 pm) • dpetrzelka (Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:07 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Focus: Build
I will check out everything on your list. I was just lamenting my selection of CA for drop filling... Everything I have is either too thick or too thin.... And XActo knife blades - yes.. They have gone down hill badly over the years.. They used to be magical things.. Now they are barely good for 1 use....

I have recently been fooling with a shop made "flat chisel". It has a bevel ground at 90 degrees (or very close to this) and is perfect for sneaking in and scraping down something. My "test candidate" was a Harbor Freight chisel which I hardened and brine quenched "full hard" - but the steel had massive defects in it which did not appreciate this treatment and is now unsuitable for any other use... But this is the ONE thing it does well... As a dual purpose tool - it's the chisel I let my 6 year old twins use without worry of (severe) injury...

I have also been trying out the new Behlen's (newish) Urethane Rock Hard tabletop varnish. I was a lover of The Old Stuff - which was fine stuff... So far - this stuff is fantastic. It wipes perfectly without issue.. Brushes nicely.. And doesn't require $20/quart special reducer or dances and sacrifices to keep it from kicking over in the can... I am on my 2nd guitar on the same can now... First opened up almost a year ago.. And no issues with it gelling in the can. The only downside is rosewoods... It must be very lightly wiped onto rosewoods and then given plenty of UV (I use sunlight) to 100% fully cure before the next coat can be applied.. Time consuming and tedious - but it is successful..

The last thing is saw sharpening. I have a couple small razor saws which see frequent use. They are OK but have never really cut well.. I recently got a good triple extra fine itty bitty saw file and filed one of my little razor saws.. And it cuts 10x better than it ever did... Even if the file cost 50% more than the saw - it's well worth it...

These users thanked the author truckjohn for the post: Woodie G (Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Denvir
City: Baltimore
State: ON
Zip/Postal Code: K0K 1C0
I’m with you on the GluBoost. Very happy. I’ve given up on exacto blades and now use scalpels. Sharper, and more importantly, more stable in the holder.

Thanks for the updates.

Steve

These users thanked the author JSDenvir for the post: Woodie G (Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
PEC blem 4" and 6" double machinist squares have been my favorites for the last year or two. Gosh darn, they are the whole package: sturdy, accurate, and inexpensive. Some of my being smitten with them is the fact that I am a convert to the use of such squares in general, instead of other tools for the same tasks. But these particular squares have allowed me to get there by spending less money. That's cool.

Gramercy Tools holdfasts, with little leather booties on them, have been super handy, too.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Woodie G (Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Spector
City: ORANGE
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 77632
This old saw is a new tool for me. It used to be a heap of rust when I first got it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

old Rockwell Delta that's like new to me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:26 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Oops. the pics disappear when I submit the messaGE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
A few months ago, I broke down and bought the StewMac 6" shop rule with a centering scale. I had no luck finding one in that length with 1/32" increments on the centering scale anywhere else. Very glad I bought it because I use it a lot.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Woodie G (Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

Those are some excellent recommendations!

We also have several of the centering rules...we could not find anything else with both centering and end graduations (other than a very old Bridge City) until StewMac brought the design back. Certainly one of the rulers that finds room in the shop apron. Now if they would just do one in 10ths and 50ths...

I like the leather bootie idea for the holdfasts...we use some heavy 3/16" leather left over from lining vise jaws for the job, but it does not stay on as well as it could...if both of my daughter's first baby booties were not so precious, they might just do ;). And the holdfasts are so lovely to whack away at...therapy and fixture holding combined in one tool...next to a nice, sharp boys axe and a pile of birch to split, just the thing for a little stress relief.

Mr. Denvir...if you like a nice scalpel for fine work, you will probably like the OLFA for work that needs something a bit heftier than a disposable, but where a bench knife is too clumsy a blade. The blades are quite nice and nothing at all like an Xacta.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

truckjohn wrote:
The last thing is saw sharpening. I have a couple small razor saws which see frequent use. They are OK but have never really cut well.. I recently got a good triple extra fine itty bitty saw file and filed one of my little razor saws.. And it cuts 10x better than it ever did... Even if the file cost 50% more than the saw - it's well worth it...

We have double extra slim #4's, but the only finer file I've found was the small triangular needle file...where did you find your tiny files, as I have a drawer full of old razor and small gents saw that are so fine toothed that I despair of fitting them with something fine enough?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:49 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
I've given up on x-acto knives/blades and now use scalpels. The blades are incredibly sharp and last a lot longer than any x-acto blade. Just make sure you get a solid handle and not use the plastic disposable handles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Casey
Last Name: Cochran
City: Gainesville
State: GA
Zip/Postal Code: 30501
I recently scored a Jet 22-44 oscillating sander on Craigslist that was just a few miles from my house. Not a fire sale by any stretch, but a good deal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Here is a link to the leather booties for holdfasts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Holdfa ... 5301!US!-1

It's actually a pretty good price for how useful these are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Woodie G wrote:
We have double extra slim #4's, but the only finer file I've found was the small triangular needle file...where did you find your tiny files, as I have a drawer full of old razor and small gents saw that are so fine toothed that I despair of fitting them with something fine enough?

It's a 2" 0 cut Swiss made Nicholson from The Best Things.. They say for use above 20 tpi... Teeny tiny..

Probably the next step from there is a high quality fine cut diamond needle "file"...

Last edited by truckjohn on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Heath
Last Name: Blair
City: Visalia
State: California
I’ve really been enjoying this consumable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I just purchased a 3deg bridge pin reamer from Grizzly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:46 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

My "new" old saw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:24 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:26 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

It took me about 3 months and +/- $600 but I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
surveyor wrote:
It took me about 3 months and +/- $600 but I like it.

You mean it took you three months to refurbish it? It's a real beauty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Woodie G wrote:

Something like these?

https://www.japanwoodworker.com/product ... anese-saws

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see" - Thoreau

I finally picked up one of the the little magnetic mirrors from StewMac and completely changed my perspective on repairs in the back of the box.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
Mamie Minch had a great video on oxidation chemistry and visually aging wood used in repairs repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tViTWUL8Was
[youtube]https://youtu.be/tViTWUL8Was[/youtube]

Ordered some online and gave it a shot.
Potassium Permanganate, a strong oxidizer, helps ease the brightness and give the appearance of age to a freshly cut Thompson-style spruce cleat. I'll never try to hide a repair, but I'm happy to help them blend in on a well worn instrument.

Last edited by dpetrzelka on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I got one of the StewMac Z files for crowning frets. I really like it.