PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Focus: Build
I am thinking about offering an open back tuner on my steel strings. I'll include Waverly's also for those that must have them but I'm not a big fan. I've always leaned toward gotoh. They offer a nice open backed but I do like the look of the Schallers

What do you think of the Schaller Grandtune open backed tuners?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I was unaware of this model, but it's a Schaller - and it's hard to badmouth that brand. Looks nice, too.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
We have installed them, and those customers that have used them for a few years have not reported anything other than pleasant experiences with the product. There are some threads on Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum that cover Grand Tune virtues and any vices in detail, including some early adopter's trials with base plate cracks between base and mounting 'ears' for the tuner shafts, but those issues appear to be resolved.

The only other issue that I see is the logo marking is rather non-traditional in a style of tuner which is usually used on more traditionally styled instruments.

At over $100 per pair for the Grand Tunes, we've found our customers usually prefer the slightly more expensive Waverly tuners.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
These are just as smooth as the Waverly. Anything Schaller is always top notch and these are their top shelf.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I really like them, and the variety of cosmetics available, but I usually go for the cheaper gotoh or Grover's. but they're excellent tuners.

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the nice comments. I went ahead and ordered a set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 am 
Koa
Koa

I ordered some of their Grand Tune tuners direct from the factory and was able to get a significant discount. +1 for number of options.

These users thanked the author Ken Franklin for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken, did you have to setup an account to get that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd be interested to get the skinny on that discount too! Just for Builders with tax ID? Minimum quantity?

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Joe Beaver (Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Joe Beaver wrote:
Ken, did you have to setup an account to get that?

I don't remember any minimums. I sent an email explaining that I was a luthier and wanted information about ordering direct. They emailed a price list and a descriptive brochure of the products. I included a link to my website. This was two years ago.

These users thanked the author Ken Franklin for the post (total 2): Joe Beaver (Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:18 pm) • Pmaj7 (Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you Ken. I'll give that a try.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
As per Ken's suggestion, I contacted Schaller to see about ordering direct. They couldn't have been more helpful. They'll send you a product list with prices. You just email them what you want and they'll send you a total to pay via PayPal. I got my first order about 10 days after ordering. The prices are below US market prices, even with the shipping. And you get a much broader selection of finishes, buttons, etc.

As for quality, I'm very pleased. I haven't used Waverly guitar tuners, but I assume they are like their Uke tuners. The Schaller Grand Tunes seem to be much better built, crisper lines, the frame appears either milled or cast (not bent like the Waverly's), and very smooth turning.

I got two sets. A standard solid headstock post in black with snakewood buttons. And a vintage copper with ebony buttons for a slotted headstock. Both look great!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I was looking at these: https://schaller.info/en/m6-series/272/m6-pin

I can't tell from the instructions, do the pins just bite into the headstock as the nut is tightened? I like the look of these!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For those that have used them, are they as sensitive to post bushing alignment as Waverlys? I still have issues with tight tuners even when I think everything is aligned just right.

Last edited by Terence Kennedy on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
The M6 Pin tuners require the pin holes to be pre-drilled. The Stewmac #4857 Tuner Pin Drill Jig saves some time when doing this, as well as gets the alignment correct.

Dr. Kennedy: None of the traditional open-back tuners we have installed (Gotoh, Hipshot, Grover, Schaller, and Waverly) appear to be any more or less immune to the alignment issues arising from using press-fit bushings as the tuner shaft's top support. Grovers seem to lose any stiffness in function earlier than the other brands noted, but also quickly become a bit loose in feel - but not to the point where tuning stability is affected if the 'tune UP' rule is followed. The benefit of the bushings versus screw-down tuner mounting continues to be that press-fit bushings do not transfer any significant load to the finish, so the sort of 'cats-eye' lacquer separations below the tuner posts seen on some Martins and a number of older Gibsons are avoided.

We have been using the Hipshot and Schertler open back tuners for a few years on instruments where the sleeker, more modern look is preferred, and find them equivalent to other quality tuning machines. The current stock tuners on new instruments are Waverly and Schertler for open back tuners and Gotoh for sealed units.

The return and replacement policy for any tuner order placed with Stewart-MacDonald is a compelling argument...we've received replacements the next business morning where we had an artist that needed them for a performance that evening...all at no cost to the customer or our shop.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 am) • Terence Kennedy (Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:32 am)