Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

I searched several older threads for this information but couldn’t find specifics on what I’m looking for.
I’m trying to determine if the tool will thickness the back of a headstock (scarf).
I’m wondering if it will cut into the rising angle to work that “would be volute area” down flat little by little or if it is made to do flat cuts.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Yes, you can use a Safety Planer for that.

Attachment:
Carving headstock neck transition.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Focus: Build
"if it will cut into the rising angle to work that “would be volute area” down flat little by little or if it is made to do flat cuts."

Not like this... A "smiley" volute is done with a sled on a stationary belt sander...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

it'll rough close to your volute but the tool is designed for flat surfaces. you'll have to detail out any contours in the usual ways.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Here it is thicknessing the back of a broken headstock to receive a back reinforcement. As others have said, you'll need to do the volute and any curves some other way.

I guess you could say a broken head is an unintentional scarf joint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

Freeman wrote:
Here it is thicknessing the back of a broken headstock to receive a back reinforcement. As others have said, you'll need to do the volute and any curves some other way.

I guess you could say a broken head is an unintentional scarf joint

Well, you simply upgraded TO a scarf haha

Yea my question wasn’t clear I guess. If I simply wanted to flatten the area without a volute .... that’s what I was after.
Hey thanks for the responses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
Yes. One can always take the back of the headstock material off with a safe-t-planer, take it close to the neck, then do the rest of the work with your favorite hand tools (e.g., file). But if it is a scarf, I sort of wonder why it wasn't at final dimension prior to glue-up - one of the nice parts about doing a scarf.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

AndyB wrote:
Yes. One can always take the back of the headstock material off with a safe-t-planer, take it close to the neck, then do the rest of the work with your favorite hand tools (e.g., file). But if it is a scarf, I sort of wonder why it wasn't at final dimension prior to glue-up - one of the nice parts about doing a scarf.

Andy

Andy, I’m pretty new at building so forgive if I don’t understand what’s going on exactly. Perhaps it is because I glue the scarf to the back of the angle ? Around here he 1st fret area, or well before, the thickness continually increases. The end of the headstock is at final thickness from planing top of it.
Again, not sure if I’m following .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
From what I understand, we used to use a Saf-T-Planer for thickness peg heads, but since I have been here, have used a simple bushing-guided jig with a straight 1/2" router bit to thickness and to rough out the neck transition and dart. The attached text and pictures are from a post by the boss on the process.

Quote:
This is V.02 of the peghead thicknessing jig; V.03 will address the x/y indexing of the template around the neck...currently fastened into jig through piloted tuner holes (or piloted holes in slotted headstock. The diamond volute is roughed in with 1/32" trimming allowance, while the neck transition for necks without is left large enough to accommodate several different transitions. A large Lexan base with bushing mount and a 1/2" downcut does the job, with feed direction as needed for smoothest cut. Obviously, if we did scarfs, we would just thickness prior to glue-up, but most of our necks are either one piece or joined with vertical glue joints, so stuck with a thicknessing task.

Attachment:
28166318_10204115418641938_5288469582576698532_n.jpg

Attachment:
28277114_10204115418681939_2682512260933593174_n.jpg

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: SnowManSnow (Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
SnowManSnow wrote:
AndyB wrote:

Andy

Andy, I’m pretty new at building so forgive if I don’t understand what’s going on exactly. Perhaps it is because I glue the scarf to the back of the angle ? Around here he 1st fret area, or well before, the thickness continually increases. The end of the headstock is at final thickness from planing top of it.
Again, not sure if I’m following .

What Andy is saying goes back to earlier discussions we have had about scarf joints and neck carving. I've said several times to think about each step of the process to decide what order makes things the easiest. When you cut your head piece off before you turn it over and glue it on the neck, you might want to plane or saw it to its final thickness (minus the head plate). You've got a nice flat little piece of wood - you can tip it on its side on a band saw, run it thru a thickness sander or plane it down with you doohicky. (This is also a good time to make slots if its a slot head).

You can do it after its been glued on, but its a whole lot more awkward. Anyway, go back and reread some of your other neck threads and instead of just thinking about a single operation thing about the process.

If I had wanted a volute and backstrap like Steve's I would have left the head thicker, used the Safe-T-Planer and hand tools