Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Focus: Build
Contacted us via messenger . Says he sells EIR to luthiers in the usa ? Anyone done busuiness with him . ?? Your thoughts thanks !

Post subject: Re: Ashok Parekh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
No specific information to offer, except that my memory is that this has come up before. Either here or MIMF. The consensus seams to be that it either was a scam, or it was some young guy who didn't have any actual forestry experience, no actual mill, no understanding of exporting wood, no idea about what woods luthiers need.

This contact may be totally different, so take what I say with that context. I have experience quite a lot lately in different fields that there seem to be a lot of young people in China and India who have access to the Internet and reasonable English, but little else. They go on fishing expeditions to see if they can broker sales to the US. They apparently figure that if they can get the US client, the rest will work itself out in India. Their actual skill is in scraping contact information from the Internet.

I don't blame them. But I also instinctively delete any unsolicited communication offering me some service or product from overseas. I have wasted too much time with amateurs in Asia trying to leverage minimal English and an Internet connection claiming to have solutions.

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: ernie (Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:32 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
I got a price list from him several years ago, out of curiosity more than anything else. With shipping from India (I think that's where he is AFAIK) it wasn't any more economical than buying from sources closer to home.
Ken

These users thanked the author Ken Lewis for the post: ernie (Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:32 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Allen
Last Name: McFarlen
City: Mt. Sheridan
State: Qld.
Zip/Postal Code: 4868
I buy from Ashok often. Have been for 10 years.

Cairns, Australia

These users thanked the author Allen McFarlen for the post: ernie (Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
I spoke with him years ago. He was mostly pallets of unmatched sets. Not what I need as far as a supplier.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: ernie (Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm)

Post subject: Ashok Parekh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
I’ve been dealing with Ashok for 10 years, while I was in New Zealand and now in Canada. He has supplied almost all of my Indian rosewood and ebony: back/sides, bridges, fingerboards, head plates. I have been very clear with him on what I expect (never been interested in second-grade material) and he has always made good without complaint on anything that didn’t pass muster. I get a kick from how shipments come by post, wrapped in cotton fabric, with the commercial invoice sewn onto the outside. It may interest some that William Cumpiano has been dealing with Ashok for longer than me and still speaks highly of his product.

Buying wood direct from places like India is not everyone’s cup of tea. Establishing the business relationship and building trust is quite different than dealing with North American suppliers. I’ve lived and worked in several third-world countries, so cultural differences are less a concern. I’m quite comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Tim Mullin for the post (total 2): ernie (Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:40 am)