Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:01 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan

When I was a kid I used to hate folks who prefaced their remarks with "when I was a kid...." But just like how we human bags of mostly water tend to become our fathers or mothers, like it or not, as I firmly arrive at Dotard status I'm finding that I'm not exactly who I would have wished to be. So bear with me please as I preface my remarks perhaps one last time with when I was a kid.

When I was a kid I spent countless hours sitting on the floor of my room spinning the LPs of my musical heros and detuning my 1966 Fender Mustang to hopefully be enough in tune with the record to learn the tune.

I loved Ten Years after, Blind Faith, Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Alice Cooper, ELO, ELP, The Stones, Iggy and on and on and on. I once saw Three Dog Night but my friends and I brought paper bags along to wear on our heads so that no one would see us at a concert of a so-called p*ssy band..... No disrespect intended, just being historically accurate to my own experience.

Thirteen years ago I joined the OLF under my own name. That ID with two others, always my own name..... has now posted over 30,000 posts on the OLF. In the beginning I was a taker, understandably so we all came here to learn at some point or on some level. Although I did learn many great things here what I learned that was the very most life changing things for me was an introduction to some very special people, Luthiers, working in the trade Luthiers who assisted me further off the forum toward my own dreams.

Our business is a stunning success and we just smashed all previous growth records for us by again double digit growth. As I age further and some stuff gets a bit harder for me such as thinking.... :) and seeing, you know the unimportant stuff.... I've decided it's time to give thanks where thanks is due.

Hence the post.

It's time for me to semi-retire from posting on the OLF and even though I had to pay my dues here and did so perhaps more so then necessary..... or advisable at times.... it's time for me to move on and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I'm not worried about what will happen to the newer people here with the same dreams that I once had because the OLF has many of you to help them out. Very fine folks who like me found a port in the storm in this crazy trade.

Regarding our classes I won't be promoting them or even posting pics of them anymore on the OLF and I thank Lance very Kindly for his assistance with our classes. We have one next week that's fully booked and I will be sending Lance something as I always do when OLFers take our classes. the only difference going forward is if you are interested in one of our Fretting and Set-up classes please contact Ann Arbor Guitars directly? Not sure how many more times we will be offering them our daily work is more profitable and the classes are a LOT of very hard work for Dave and I.

Knowing as I do that some here think that saying good bye is something that they are not into, great, feel free to do it your way when it's your turn.... and you have made 30,000 posts....;). Said in good humor of course!

For me though I will always be grateful to many people who are still with the OLF or long gone. From David Collins first and foremost to Rick Turner, Mario P., Colin S. and Dave White. Early on I made friends with Serge P. who although much of what we shared was not specifically Luthierie Serge remains one of the finest human beings that I have ever known! The list is too long to acknowledge everyone some of which are now dead as well. Just know I'm eternally grateful.

To the half a dozen OLFers in direct, off the forum contact that I'm currently helping with your projects nothing changes, happy to continue to help. I'm just not going to be looking in here very often or posting much either unless, of course I feel as if I want to do so.

A HUGE thanks to Lance Kragenbrink for his friendship, for his business savvy, and for his ability to keep the eye on the goal of making the OLF the very finest Internet Lutherie forum to have ever existed! Thanks bro!

About two years ago I unilaterally made the strategic decision to settle all former disputes on the OLF so that when I book there will be the least possible hard feelings. Many of you know who you are too. I proactively contacted you and let you know that I believe that I could have done better at avoiding conflict with you and that I was and remain truly sorry that I participated in a less than friendly relationship. Most of you were very gracious and let me off the hook. Many, many thanks guys (meaning men and women). A few of you I consider to be real friends now like it or not....:)

Ultimately though I can't make up for insecurities of a few or harbored hatred perhaps political in nature or worse.... but I did want it to be known that for the sake of the greater forum I did try. I tried on my own, quietly, proactively taking the hit personally for the greater good and offering apologies AND more importantly a cessation of hostilities. Thanks for hearing me out. To the rest this is available to you too I have zero interest in having a single enemy.

These days I get up and go to our very successful Lutherie business that just once again experienced double digit annual growth! I'm happy there and will likely do this for five more years and then get out of Dave's way leaving him with a quality business with zero debt and a who's who client list with excellent "real" reviews. That's the plan.

To my many friends here you have my contact info and I'm simply leaving the forum and not dead. Keep in touch will ya? ;)

Lastly this decision is mostly made out of my own aging and lack of time to address all the stuff that I have in the air at any given time.

So sports fans (I hate that expression...:) ) it's not good bye but I won't be posting much anymore instead pursuing my own goals. It's time, I've paid my dues and when you have made over 30,000 posts here many of them helping others you can likely be as freakin pedantic as you like too in your long..... good.... bye.

Take care everyone! Thanks Lance and MANY others and remember as you age with your own personal pursuit of Lutherie.... never trust a fart! ;)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 13): Alex Kleon (Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 am) • DanKirkland (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:43 pm) • JSDenvir (Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 pm) • James Orr (Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm) • david farmer (Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:05 am) • Glenn LaSalle (Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 am) • Theo (Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 am) • bcombs510 (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 am) • Clinchriver (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 am) • ernie (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 am) and 3 more users

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I salute you, sir!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Focus: Build
Can I have your stuff? ;) ;) ;)

But really - Thanks Hesh.

These users thanked the author truckjohn for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Hesh I will miss your posts; I always respect your opinion and even your unique way of presenting it.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Good luck, Hesh. Like many others here I've learned a great deal from your participation. When I first joined, you were incredibly welcoming and supportive and your friendly, positive attitude kept me coming back for more as I stumbled through the countless obstacles every new builder must overcome. Thanks for caring enough to try and help and congratulations on the successes you and Dave are enjoying at Ann Arbor Guitars. I do hope to take your classes one day and will be in touch down the line, should a time arrive when I find my calendar and wallet in alignment once again.

Best regards,

These users thanked the author George L for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:13 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Farmer
City: Durango
State: CO
Roll on Hesh

Thanks for all your posts.
I hope we get a chance to raise a glass to turning pages!

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Thanks for being so willing with your time to pass along what you've learned!

BB

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:47 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Time passes and we all get older. Eventually it is time to shift gears, take a different road, or just slow down a bit. I'm in the midst of some of that myself. It's all good. I, for one, will miss your posts (but I do have your phone number ;) ) I sincerely hope you enjoy the time going forward my friend!

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:47 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and perspective, Hesh. The 2 days I spent at A2G for the class remain the absolute high point of my Luthier-wannabe career so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:47 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Hesh!
Greatly appreciated!
Dan

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:47 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Good luck to you!

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:31 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Thank you for sharing your experience and advice so generously Hesh, good luck.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:31 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Hesh is a real mensch, an don/t let anyone tell you otherwise Mensch yiddish for (good guy) . All the best Hesh on your next excellent adventure !!!!

These users thanked the author ernie for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:31 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Thanks Hesh - my necks would still be pointed in the wrong direction without your toot

Ed

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
A huge thank you for your contributions to the forum Hesh, I have learned so much. Yours are always the first posts I look at.
Cheers, Bob

These users thanked the author Bob Orr for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I've always remembered that it was you who posted the first response to my very first post way back in 2006. Through the years it's always been easy to tell that you are one of the good guys around here. Enjoy you time away but do come around often

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Why the big goodbye, Hesh? You seem to enjoy chiming in on things. Don't you think you'll find yourself (after 30,000 posts and all these years) tuning in once and a while to see what's going on? Maybe not as often... You know your participation will be missed... Is there something you aren't telling us?

These users thanked the author sdsollod for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Seriously consider what you have always wanted to do. If I recall correctly, I have about 10 years over you and wish I had them back.
Take a long hard look at your "bucket list" and before it is too late, learn as much as you can about things you've never considered and go where you've always wanted. Spend the rest of your time as if every minute counted. They do.
Good luck to you.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post (total 2): Jonny (Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 pm) • dzsmith (Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:01 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Denvir
City: Baltimore
State: ON
Zip/Postal Code: K0K 1C0
I dunno Hesh. I think you’re gonna get another bee in your bonnet or hair up your adz, and if you don’t have a place to vent, I’m afraid you might explode.

Or it could just be a case of “look out, MIMF”.

See you in the spring. And we’ll talk :-)

Your friend

Steve

These users thanked the author JSDenvir for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Riedmiller
State: WI
A heart felt thank you Mr. Breakstone for all the input you’ve lent on this forum. I’ve learned quite a bit reading your posts. I wish you all the best!

Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Rocky Road for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
All the best to you, Hesh! Your knowledge, humour, and sharing, are things to be proud of. My fretting class with you and Dave was a real revelation, not only for fretting, but all the other stuff that I learned, and the confidence it gave me. It was easily the best money that I've spent on myself!
I'll miss your short and concise replies (the ones that I stop half way through to have my lunch!) and your encouraging words to myself, and so many others! Cheers Buddy, and thanks!

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
Hesh you'll be missed. My time at Ann Arbor guitars was a real game changer thanks.

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Jason
Last Name: Moe
City: LaCrosse
State: WI
Zip/Postal Code: 54601
Thanks for all the years of advise. Your perspective of things was always enlightening. Don't be afraid to give us a toot once in awhile.

These users thanked the author JasonMoe for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Thanks Hesh for your opinions, toots, recommendations, and evangelical fervor on issues important to guitar building and repair. I've adopted a bunch of your ideas as standard operating procedure. Thanks for that and all the best.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
I'll miss having your input on things on here. But we'll keep in touch outside of here

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm)