Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Focus: Build
I/ve been trying some new methods of filling the grain by using med dp -20 ca on my headstock .watching other videos using starbond ca. I watched big d gtrs do a vid using the gluboost products to fill a drop top buckeye burl on an electric gtr . What are your expeiences filling with this product on hdwds and softwoods. ? Thank you. Would you recommend it > My opinion it seems pricey $$$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
The vapors and fumes would kill me!

My recommendation....use glue as an adhesive and use finish products for finishing. They tend to work better at their intended purpose.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post (total 3): jack (Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:02 pm) • Jonny (Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:00 pm) • ernie (Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I'll add one comment to Brian's - I have become highly sensitized to CA and now make it a point to wear my respirator and work outside every time I use it.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: ernie (Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I'm pretty keen on learning how to use CA as a porefiller. I don't see why the fumes, with proper ventilation, would be any worse than epoxy.

I question the viscosity of GB. The fill n finish seems just a bit thick, and the thin, too thin. It seems like something in between would be ideal.

There are definitely folks who have it down (Beau Hanmann, sp?), possibly Rick Turner? I e heard but not confirmed that Kevin Ryan uses it as his actual finish...

In my brief experiments, I found that the wood needs to be sealed first, otherwise the little puddle you spill on to spread around leaves a darker stain than the areas you spread it to.

I'd love to hear more info on this topic...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: ernie (Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
I use the GluBoost products for finish repair and I like them but I would not do a complete finish with them, I agree with Brian about using finish products for finishing.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: ernie (Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

We're talking mostly as porefill, not complete finish...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
I need to learn to read better idunno I wouldn't use it for pore fill either but that's only because I don't like working with CA over larger areas - I expect it would work just fine.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: ernie (Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:20 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: ON
I'm a big fan of the GB products. Their Fill and Finish glues come in 2 viscosities. I prefer the Orange label which is the thinner of the 2. I've used it to pore fill the headstock face, and even used it as the finish on the face of the headstock on 4-5 instruments. Works great! However I think it would be hard to get a nice thin coat for the body finish, like you want on an acoustic. And in regards to the fumes, GB is much better than other CA brands. There are still some fumes, but nothing like most other brands I've used.

Canadian Luthier Supply
http://www.canadianluthiersupply.com
https://www.facebook.com/canadianluthiersupply?ref=hl
House Guitars - Custom Built Acoustic Instruments.
http://www.houseguitars.com

These users thanked the author Josh H for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 am) • ernie (Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:07 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
I've been spending a lot of time with CA as a pore filler & a finish lately. I have a small rack fan on my bench that blows the fumes away & I've learned where not to put my face when working with it.

As a finish I've only tried with a head stock. It actually buffed up pretty nicely but I discovered a drip mark because I hadn't sealed it first (see Ed's comment above). Anyhow I scraped it all off & started over. Should be done this weekend.

I wouldn't attempt it as a finish for an entire guitar or any a non-flat surface. One trick I've learned thanks to Chuck Baleno is to use a razor blade as a scraper to smooth out the ridges instead of trying to sand them out. Works faster & I have better control but YMMV. Also thanks to Chuck I've been putting it on pretty heavy and moving it around with a plastic "Bondo" spreader. Work it out as smooth as you can with the spreader before it sets up. Repeat a time or 2, scrape with razor until it's sufficiently flat then sand. I left a thin layer all over before going to sealer & lacquer.

I used Starbond medium. I want to try BSA Gold which is super low odor but it's pricey. I've also used Glu Boost and don't notice it being any less stinky than Starbond but YMMV.

Kevin Looker

These users thanked the author klooker for the post: ernie (Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For me, GB is way more sensitizing than any other brand I've touched. I can't even tack things together without the paint respirator...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: ernie (Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

Kevin explained my process very well. I'll add that I seal with a wash coat of shellac, let that dry for a couple hours, then I usually put 3 coats of CA in one session. Start on the back, then do the sides. By then the back has dried, repeat the process twice.
Let it dry til the next day, then scrape with a razor blade down to the wood. Then sand with 220. If necessary repeat the process after a wash coat of shellac until all of the pores are filled. Usually twice on mahogany and three times on rosewood.
I have been using GB since it is supposed to be more flexible, but have had good results with starbond.

Chuck

These users thanked the author ChuckB for the post (total 3): Pmaj7 (Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 pm) • klooker (Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:36 pm) • ernie (Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've used it to pore fill a headstock once and it worked really nicely. I kind of treated it like I would pumice or egg whites and used fine sand paper to sand it in a slurry and fill the pores with dust and CA.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: ernie (Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 am)