Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Focus: Build
I have several coarse rasps , they seem to all Tear the wood. Does anyone own one of these ? and if you could please give me some feedback on it .It would be much appreciated before buying one .Or do you prefer auriou, liogier , tools for wood etc . It could be either a number 3 or 4 very coarse rasp Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Lewis
City: Newnan
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30265
I have a number of the French rasps (awesome) and the dragon rasps too. They aren't as good but for the money they are great. The dragon rasps beat the heck out of the Nicholson 49 and 50. If you have the money buy a Auriou or Liogier, if not the dragons should make you very happy.

These users thanked the author John Lewis for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 am) • ernie (Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

just say yes to the dragon. and buy a good handle too.

These users thanked the author arie for the post: ernie (Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
My large coarse Dragon rasp is one of my favorite tools. It gets a lot of use for carving necks. I've used it on mahogany, khaya, Peruvian walnut, and curly maple necks and it worked great. If you get one, watch out for that very pointy tip. I have the tips on my Dragon rasps covered with tape to avoid puncture wounds.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:28 am) • ernie (Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:34 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have both the large dragon rasps and love them both. I would think that any rasp will tear the wood rather than slice it, since that is how they work, but the dragon does a good job of smoothly tearing the fibers so there aren't too many deep grooves to deal with. I do not own any of the more expensive hand stitched rasps so they might be even smoother but the dragons are head and shoulders above my old machine cut rasps and they are priced reasonably as well.

Kent

These users thanked the author kjaffrey for the post: ernie (Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:34 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
I have all four single radius Dragons and three Liogiers, all used primarily for necks. The Dragons do the same job as the Liogiers in terms of quality and "results for time and effort expended." They seem to be durable enough and show no sign of needing replacement after doing over 70 necks. The Liogiers are very nice but not essential. Each one is a configuration unlike any of the Dragons, including a fine round and a small, very fine single radius. I could get by with just the Dragons but the Liogiers do come in handy.

These users thanked the author saltytri for the post: ernie (Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have both the coarse and fine Dragon rasp and I cannot tell you how much I love them. For 25 years I put off using rasps as some sort of crude implement that doesn't belong in a wood workers shop till I started reading about them. The only other experience I had with them was a cheap one I bought early on when I started building guitars and had to sand the hell out of the wood to get through the rasp markings. The Dragons are awesome and nothing works better for carving heals, valutes, and so on. Start with the coarse and finish with the fine. I like the 10in ones too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thank you all for sharing, called stew mac an ordered the dragon coarse.Got alot of uke necks to carve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

FWIW received the rasp 2 days later and had a whole bunch of necks to carve. IMHO this dragon rasp is twice as thick as my thinner 3 chinese rasps off e bay, and quite heavy . If you go at it full throttle, it makes short work of cutting down the neck to rough dimension . I follow up , with an upside down chinese drawknife that looks like a cross between a w . drawnife and an old english marples boxwood spoke shave. With a much bigger blade / Sharpened it makes short work of cutting down the neck facets.At 5 or 6 us $ . it is an excellent buy from e vil bay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:53 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have this rasp, and while I’m not a great guitar maker I can say the rasp works. It cuts smooth and with the he right tough won’t leave travel marks. Get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

Guess I stopped spelling today

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yo Mr snow coffee helps with spelling or tea ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
As always seems to happen on a Saturday evening after a beer and 3 fingers of bourbon I ordered a couple of the dragon rasps. You people can be expencive to hang out with... Impressions to follow

M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
How does a razor file compare to the dragon rasp? I have a small LMI razor file and it can be pretty aggressive depending on the pressure you put on it...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

sdsollod wrote:
How does a razor file compare to the dragon rasp? I have a small LMI razor file and it can be pretty aggressive depending on the pressure you put on it...

I have both. The razor file is a lot finer cut. The dragon will hog off lots of material if you lean into it.
I use the razor file in the curves to fine tune things after I get close w the dragon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Palmetto
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34221
Michaeldc wrote:
As always seems to happen on a Saturday evening after a beer and 3 fingers of bourbon I ordered a couple of the dragon rasps. You people can be expencive to hang out with... Impressions to follow

M

Hahaha, yeah tell me about it I just got paid on Thursday and I'm already wondering where the heck my check went?! StewMac, Gilmer Wood, another OLF-er, Lowes, MSC Direct....and I still have a list a mike long with the rasps and files on it. Then today I realize I'm about to run out of kerfing...sheesh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk