Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I was thinking today that I've picked up a number of good methods, tips, and tricks from this forum that I've incorporated into my guitar building. I thought I would list the ones that come to mind with attribution where I can remember it.

- Using a Safety Planer to cut the initial neck thickness/taper in a neck blank. (Ed Bond)
- Installing side purfling separately from binding, which makes it pretty easy to get good miter joints in the purfling at a boxed in end graft or cutaway. (John Giltzow)
- When routing the binding channel past the end graft when boxing in the end graft with side purfling, mount the spacer on the top or back by gluing the spacer with CA to a piece of double sided tape which is stuck to the top or back. (Can't remember who, but it was here at the OLF.)
- Using a plastic straw cut at a 45 degree angle as a glue squeeze out removal tool. (Somebody on the OLF)
- Z-poxy pore filling method. (Hesh)
- Putting adhesive-backed sandpaper on the back of kerfed lining to make a sanding tool that conforms well to curved surfaces. (Can't remember who posted this, but it was recent and I used the tip for the first time today. Worked great.)
- Tom West's method of tucking the lower x-brace arms into the lining, but then carving the brace end down to nothing leaving a block for the lining to index to. Provides good registration of the top onto the sides and loosens the top.
- For a tight x-brace joint, cut the notches a hair too tight to fit and then reduce the thickness of the braces until they just fit together. (Ed Bond, I think.)
- The idea for an improved version of the jig I was using to make the cross section profile of triangular braces. (michaeldc).
- How to properly install an endpin jack. (David Collins)
- Using a chopstick to pull the endpin jack through the tail block hole. (David Collins?)
- Ideas for making a saddle slot routing jig. (A bunch of people here.)

I'm sure there are others that don't come to mind right now. A lot of good information and ideas on this forum.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 4): TimAllen (Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 pm) • giltzow (Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 pm) • George L (Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:28 pm) • Michaeldc (Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Err...Stew-Mac, rather...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Jay, I totally agree with you. People always ask me how I learned to do this. I always say OLF. They have trouble believing that you can learn from others on line given the difficulty of this work. But that is how good the OLF is. I could make a similar list, but I'd probably forget someone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
+1

So many nuggets..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Yup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Tips I learned here:

Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

No, wait . . . That was The Princess Bride. The stuff I've learned here has been MUCH more useful.

Build so that future repairs are either less likely to be needed, or are easier to perform.
Take RH seriously, or you pay the price in the winter.
How to make (or improve) really useful tools like a dish sander.
Oodles more.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 3): DannyV (Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm) • J De Rocher (Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm) • Bryan Bear (Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:56 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Way too many to list.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Get along and go along , luthiery is a wonderful craft and the more we share , the more we learn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've learned a lot of things too I only wish now that I could apply them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
SteveSmith wrote:
Way too many to list.

+1

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

One great one for me was using a soft toothbrush and hot water from the glue pot followed by a hair drier for final cleanup of hide glue residual when gluing braces, bridge plates, etc.

Many years ago.

Hesh??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
J De Rocher wrote:
- Using a Safety Planer to cut the initial neck thickness/taper in a neck blank. (Ed Bond).

??? Couldn’t find the thread/post on this. Do you have a link? Not sure what that means.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
It was discussed in this thread: http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=46006&p=609035&hilit=drill+press+uses#p609035

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: rlrhett (Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:21 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Terence Kennedy wrote:
One great one for me was using a soft toothbrush and hot water from the glue pot followed by a hair drier for final cleanup of hide glue residual when gluing braces, bridge plates, etc.

Many years ago.

Hesh??

Hey Terry, this was not my tip but I remember it too but can't remember who shared it. I have not had enough hair left to own a hair drier for several decades now....;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 pm 

The single best tip that I ever received here reversed the flow of cash from outward to inward for me.

Not an exact quote mind you but Rick Turner used to say this here and it actually changed my life:

You ain't **** unless you learn to do repair work.

Regarding my understanding of how a guitar works Mario P. made this contribution to my knowledge base.

A guitar is not unlike a fireplace bellows. This analogy made a lot of sense for me.

And another very important tip was John Hall - you don't know what you don't know until you know it....... So very true

I agree there have been lots of great sharing here over the years.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: SteveSmith (Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:

And another very important tip was John Hall - you don't know what you don't know until you know it....... .

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes (regardless of ones take on the character of the author which is not up for debate here ;) ): "...there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know..."

That last part seems to creep up on me at least once or twice in every one of the 60 guitars I've built to date. When will it ever end!? :D

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 am 

jfmckenna wrote:
Hesh wrote:

And another very important tip was John Hall - you don't know what you don't know until you know it....... .

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes (regardless of ones take on the character of the author which is not up for debate here ;) ): "...there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know..."

That last part seems to creep up on me at least once or twice in every one of the 60 guitars I've built to date. When will it ever end!? :D

I think of that one and it's author when I inadvertently find WMD in a sound hole. ;). You never know what's an unknown unknown..... :D

Regarding John's quote above it underscores just how very humbling Loofierism can be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
Terence Kennedy wrote:

Many years ago.

Hesh??

Hey Terry, this was not my tip but I remember it too but can't remember who shared it. I have not had enough hair left to own a hair drier for several decades now....;)

I resemble that remark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post: Hesh (Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The best "tips" I learned from the OLF has been the the go-bar deck and radius dish-changed the whole game for me......