Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

But since I’ve never done one and didn’t even conceive of doing it this time...
Would I be able to basically notch the black line from the purfling and make it into a 90deg?

Here’s the instrument in question btw
Padauk. The maple binding will go better with It over the long term I think as the padauk darkens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
It's too late now. Notching the purling is done so the end graft touches the binding, but you have cut the endgraft short of the binding. Next guitar you can plan ahead for this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 pm 
Koa
Koa

Yea I just tested it. Won’t work. Duh. Next time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I did that all the time. Frankly couldn't see the additional work, and it is a bit of work. Did it that way for years and guess what?

No one cared...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

Haans wrote:
I did that all the time. Frankly couldn't see the additional work, and it is a bit of work. Did it that way for years and guess what?

No one cared...

Well it is just a small detail and probably added headache, but I think I do want to add it to my skill set (which right now is only about 2 bullet points haha)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That's what I am saying...worry about it later. I did it on an 0-45, but tone is what is important AND, ideally, it's not important, except to you. It's good to know how to do it. Talk about miters, and in the abalone on an 0-45 plus the stripes...what you are doing is fine.
Don't worry about it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Don't sweat it. Other than one photo to show to us, no one will see it. You should do one sometime just for the fun of it though. They are pretty to look at and it's a good feeling of satisfaction if you do it well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
One thing that I've done a couple of times is just use a couple of piece of your binding for the end graft,

Very easy to turn the corner with a 45 degree miter and it continues the binding theme. A slightly better choice would be to make the end graft twice as wide as the binding and again, do two 45 degree miters - that would get rid of the line up the middle

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Jonny (Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:10 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Or you could try something like this. The slot is cut after the bindings are installed. Certainly not as traditional as what Haans is doing, but I still personally like the look.

M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Cal Maier (Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I just did one like Michael, but I did the end graft first and cut the bindings around it.

You could also just use taller bindings if you really wanted to do the miters.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:39 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Yep - the only person who really cares about the mitred joins is the person who does them. So if it makes you feel good, go ahead and do it. But don't expect anyone else who picks up that guitar to even notice......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 am 
Koa
Koa

pat macaluso wrote:
I just did one like Michael, but I did the end graft first and cut the bindings around it.

You could also just use taller bindings if you really wanted to do the miters.

I mitered the purflings on my first 20 guitars and wanted a different look. I've got one of the edge clamps from Chris at Luthier tools. It holds acrylic templates that I cut on my cnc. This makes it much faster for me to bind, then cut the pocket. I can cut the channel, miter and install the purflings, install the end graft, glue and level in just a few minutes.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Cal
Last Name: Maier
City: Crossfield
State: AB
It's simple enough to chisel out the wedge and replace it with a maple one that matches your bindings, as long as you haven't glued your bindings yet.
It would make you feel better about the fit and finish of the instrument with a well executed mitred end graft and yes, a lot of people actually do notice these details on a hand made instrument.
Just my opinion
Cal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:00 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
The binding material's pattern can influence how appropriate mitered corners look - curly maple always seems to me to look a bit nicer with a picture frame around the change in curl orientation, while tortoid and ivoroid look nicer to my eyes with miters. We install the tail trim first, trim to the plates, then use a side purfling thickness shim to rout the binding across the trim area to the right depth. A little chisel work finishes up and prepares the body for binding.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am 
Koa
Koa

We install the tail trim first, trim to the plates, then use a side purfling thickness shim to rout the binding across the trim area to the right depth.

That shoulda been mine..!

Great tip! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
I've done them both ways. The only people who notice are other builders.

Pat

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
SnowManSnow wrote:
Well it is just a small detail and probably added headache, but I think I do want to add it to my skill set (which right now is only about 2 bullet points haha)

I agree with the comments regarding its the "builders" that notice. I'll add that dealers also notice. In Japan - they look at everything, and appreciate the tiny details that are handcrafted.

I'd suggest adding it to your skill set. For me, the most important tools for mitres - Japanese chisel and sandpaper (truth be told, my diamond stone gets it shiny enough). Once you do the first one, it becomes part of the process.
Note: credit Richard Hoover, via Frank Ford. I can't see the images, but Frank describes it well enough. Check the date on the article.
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier ... iters.html

I've done a couple recently with Koa back & sides, Koa bindings and Koa engraft. At first it was a "test" as I thought it may seem too much. In the end, it's the small, simple mitres that pull this off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"I agree with the comments regarding its the "builders" that notice. I'll add that dealers also notice."

And don't forget the all important "cork sniffers" As a prelude to sticking the mirror inside they want to make sure it has a good looking butt wedge.