Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Deleted

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Have not seen that. What is your repair approach going to be?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I think the cedar oil doesn't allow the glue and finish to adhere to the wood strongly. Looks like the bridge built up stress and released it all at once, pushing up the finish like a little guitar earthquake. They weren't playing "Ring of Fire" when that happened were they? :lol:

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Did the guitar sit in a hot car?

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Hesh (Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I've seen a lot of WRC topped guitars with Titebondish... bridge glues and can't say I've seen cold creep on WRC. I have seen it many times on spruce and every time there was also an episode of being left in a hot car or in a black case in the sun.

Great pics too, thanks for posting this so others can see what we mean cold creep is. It's not some guy at the mall in a trench coat with fake leggings tied below the knees....

What I usually see on WRC topped guitars are an over sensitivity to scoring fibers on the back edge and then the bridge rips the crap out of the top as it lifts.

You know too that in this neck of the woods it's commonly say How to you spell bridge reglue? Cordoba with a WRC top.

Any chance this guitar was in a hot climate recently? Also I can't know the brand and I'm not asking understanding that can be dicey but I see a bit more than cold creep in the pics. I see adhesion or possible finish adhesion issues. Normally Cat Poly is the hardest finish I know of to get off and it sticks like nobodies business. The bridge is definitely creeping but the finish looks delaminated too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Focus: Build
Woody, could we see a pic of the other edge of the bridge?
Thanks,
B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

WRC has low peel resistnace, and it may be that the finish layer is just peeling up along with some wood as the bridge moves. It may well have built up some stress, with the wood actually heling to hold it in place, before the strength of the wood was taxed too far, and it let go. THat could help explain the sudden release.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
I would have thought that creep would occur going the other direction because of the pull of the strings on the bridge...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Terence Kennedy wrote:
Have not seen that. What is your repair approach going to be?

I'm interested in this too. I have a guitar with a similar problem and I've had it in the back of my mind for long time to attempt a repair.

In my case though, I think the problem wasn't cold creep. A respected local repair person looked looked it over and she concluded it was due to a combination of poor finish adhesion and bridge rotation under tension. There's no visible sign of the bridge having moved forward from creep. Also notice the finish lifting on the back edge of the bridge at the upper right, even though the bridge is not lifting at all.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this kind of damage can be repaired just at the site of the damage without having to refinish the whole top, and if so how you would go about it.

Attachment:
Finish defect.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm wondering if a vinyl sealer was used before finish...very glad I never used WRC.
I used to have cold creep on center back and top joints on my personal mandolins when I used to use Titebond original way back. No, they were never heat abused.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
cold creep is real and happens

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have some very real and recent experience with aliphatic glue creep on cedar with poly finish, and the Sisyphean task of repairing it. Like last week. Not fun and a losing proposition financially as an employer. HIDE GLUE, people!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 am 
Koa
Koa

Deleted

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It looks like it didn't move so much as we thought from the front edge pics but rather pushed and flaked off the poly finish. Gotta love those polyester finishes ;) I wonder what glue he used for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:46 am 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
You know too that in this neck of the woods it's commonly say How to you spell bridge reglue? Cordoba with a WRC top.

One of the luthiers that is frequently in the shop recently brokered an exchange of three Cordoba student classicals with peeling bridges for new production instruments. This Purcellville-based repairman/builder works closely with several local instructional programs, and noticed the higher-than-normal incidence of bridge failures on two models of Cordoba instruments commonly used by academic programs in the area. Once approached, Cordoba suggested that they had experienced adhesive quality issues recently, and would honor their warranty.

Has Ann Arbor Guitars had any success in compelling warranty repairs on these instruments? Just curious!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:50 am 
Koa
Koa

Deleted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 am 
Koa
Koa

I've apparently "stepped in it" per the boss with regards to client confidentiality and need to discontinue participation in this thread. Please forgive me for deleting the three client-related posts, but it's that or find another position. Thanks for all the wonderful comments, gentlemen - much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I hope you are not in too much hot water there Woodie and I hope your boss knows that this is a place where professionals often come too to discuss issues with their colleagues.