Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Focus: Build
I did notice that the dust collection was very good.

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
J De Rocher wrote:
I was struck buy the difference in how the hand-done steps like installing rosettes, binding, and frets are done by the workers versus how I do them. They motor right through at high speed with no fuss no muss, while I'm constantly checking everything along the way to make sure I get things right and don't miss something. I'm sure a lot of their ability to do that comes with the repetition of doing the same step day in day out. I was also struck by how casually they handle the guitars. I'm constantly worrying about dinging the guitar, especially the top, while building it. There's nothing delicate about how they handle the parts and instruments. Maybe that comes with repetition too.

It takes about 10,000 hours to master something with repeated work/practice.

That's about 3 1/2 years of 40 hour work weeks. Adjust accordingly per your work schedule.

If you did this as a day job for 3+ years full time - you get pretty quick with tasks that take folks like me forever to do once a year...

Watch a pro electrician hang a lamp fixture.. One of the aggravating ones with the little teeny screws you have to line up over your head and they always drop down the AC vent. It takes me an hour.. But that 22 year old Journeyman can have one of those stupid things soup to nuts done in 15 minutes....

Or a good tile guy - those guys can slap down tile and it all lines up so nice, smooth, level, and even....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
You need to introduce me to your contractor. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Dave m2 wrote:
It is fascinating and thanks for posting. But oh it is so dispiriting. All those handwork processes that surely we all enjoy, reduced to pushing pieces of timber into machines. And the end product, yes it looks like a guitar but almost certainly sounds incredibly poor, to be sold to people who haven't met a decent guitar.

I'm not sure we can assume they sound poor because of automation any more that we can assume guitars sound poor because they use CNC'd parts.

I'm really impressed with how efficient they are. Imagine that kind of process with individually voiced tops and backs? The laminated sides are built in, so you have that going for you. I do this because I enjoy the craft and art of each individual guitar, but if the end goal was simply a great guitar, there's nothing to knock about automation alone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
I wish I could just carry my white guitars in there and they would finish them for $10.00 each..... That would be worth the price. ;) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:50 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
truckjohn wrote:
I wish I could just carry my white guitars in there and they would finish them for $10.00 each..... That would be worth the price. ;) ;)

Be very careful what you wish for! Here's a link to a post on another forum. Asian guitars can be very, very good, as Nigel has heard. What you have to remember is that if you are building a guitar for US$24 FOB Guangzhou to meet a specific price point, there is only so much you can do. If you want to pay more, the quality improves. The bits you can't normally see get prettier and you may get a bit more shell. But even low cost guitars in the white sound pretty good. It is the polyester finish that kills them.

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: nigel
Last Name: forster
City: Newcastle upon tyne
Zip/Postal Code: ne12at
Trevor Gore wrote:
But even low cost guitars in the white sound pretty good. It is the polyester finish that kills them.

Now I know you're a big fan of adding mass to the sides Trevor. I am too now thanks to you. So if the Chinese made the top lacquer thinner but kept it heavy on the back and sides, would they be making better sounding guitars?

http://www.theluthierblog.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
nkforster wrote:
So if the Chinese made the top lacquer thinner but kept it heavy on the back and sides, would they be making better sounding guitars?

:D "Better" is a pejorative term these days! If you read on a bit down that thread I referenced earlier, you get to this. So definitely louder, at least.

I once used polyester to grain fill the B&S of a guitar, then nitro over and only nitro on the top. The extra damping was clearly audible. Others have noticed this, too. So the finish that is applied is another variable in the equation, to use as you choose.

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Larry
Last Name: Hawes
Don't post here a lot but the love the factory tour videos - but - I felt a genuine sadness watching this one. All the painstaking effort involved in making a guitar reduced to simple machines and really can't explain but I just felt a little empty on the inside watching this. And yours for $269.00? Just a little sadder.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... Ck%3Akepma