PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: robin
Last Name: courtenay
City: andover
State: hants
Focus: Build
I would be interested to hear some opinions on which type of gun people consider the best for lutherie and why ,allso what size cup is most practical.All the best for 2018,Roby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:40 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Focus: Build
I've always preferred gravity guns since they are easier to clean, are less likely to spit finish when nearly empty and you tilt the gun, and waste less meterial. Since guitars don't have small interior spaces to spray the extra height doesn't matter like it would doing cabinet interiors so for strictly guitar work I wouldn't ever really consider a siphon feed gun.

For size I currently use a full sized Fuji gun with a 600cc gun which is a fine size cup though bigger than I really need. If I wasn't using a turbine I would be using a touch up gun since the smaller size is more convenient and easier to maneuver.

Kent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:50 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We find gravity/pressure feed gravity guns to be easier to clean, more consistent in terms of feeding finish (they simply stop spraying when the cup is empty, versus the spitting which covering and uncovering of the feed tube can produce with siphon feeders), and usually have a number of cup sizes available (our Fuji T-75G guns are available with 3 ounce/EPA compliant cup, 400cc, 600cc, and 1000cc in nylon and metal). Post-use cleaning is usually just a flush of solvent through the gun, versus what can be a labor-intensive exercise in cup and cap cleaning. Finally, inline filters are a little easier to fit and replace for gravity guns, so filter replacement takes less time than with cup guns.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)