Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Zac
Last Name: Stout
City: Floyd
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 24091
Focus: Build
Anybody know where I can find a good set of plans for a weissenborn? I've looked around online, but they're harder to find than I expected. I know StewMac used to sell a print but it appears they no longer carry it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Weissenborn plans?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I believe the MIMF offers a set.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
Here is a link to the MIMF plans page

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1465

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I have built from both the SM and MIMF plans - they are slightly different. I've also built two identical Weissies but changed the bracing slightly (1930's style vs modern) and people prefer the old version. I'm away from home and all my references right now but can respond better when I get back.

One minor point - the Goldtone case is one of the only reasonable ones - try to build to fit it if possible. I'll have more info when I get home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I used both sets of plans but when they differed I used the MIMF ones. What I think I remember from a discussion here was that they were both valid but from different years of Weissenborn's production, The MIMF version will be fine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Zac
Last Name: Stout
City: Floyd
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 24091
Thanks guys...I knew about the MIMF plans but I was under the impression they had stopped selling all their plans a few years back. When it didn’t show up on a Google search I just assumed that was still the case. I’ll order a set sometime this week.

Freeman, I’d love to pick your brain a bit about this build. I have the thread from your double weissenborn build saved in my Google Drive, so I’m glad to hear from you on this topic. I look forward to any insight you can give.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Zac Stout wrote:
Freeman, I’d love to pick your brain a bit about this build. I have the thread from your double weissenborn build saved in my Google Drive, so I’m glad to hear from you on this topic. I look forward to any insight you can give.

Assuming that was the Harmony thread, I think it covers most of it. A few thoughts
- the tops are flat so its pretty sensitive to humidity swings. The center seam reinforcement shown in my picture is a good idea
- the mold was a bit tricky to figure out and is important to hold the head piece in proper alignment. Since everything is flat a workboard might be a better idea
- I bent my sides in a Fox bender - a standard blanket and slats work fine since the neck just sticks out.
- one silly thing - the back of the head piece is flat where the tuners mount, then curve to meet the neck. My 1st and 6th tuner slight sit on the curve meaning that I had to cut off one end. I fixed the problem on the second one (duh).
- traditional saddle is a piece of fret wire. I used a standard bone saddle which give much more adjustment. No compensation
- action will be a uniform 1/4 to 3/8 off the fretboard - plan the bridge accordingly. The f/b is flat, frets are simply markers.
- an article in American Lutherie a couple of years ago showed a Weissie with Martin style bracing. I built one, we feel that the traditional bracing shown above it better.
- it might be hard finding wood long enough for the tops and sides. I have seen one Weissie where they spliced pieces. I got my wood from Bruce at Notable Woods. Traditional wood is koa, all mahogany is also common, sometimes spruce topped.
- there happens to be a build thread at MIMF right now that might inspire you

Any questions feel free to PM me. Also, if you simply can't find plans let me know - I do have both.