It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Bending machine..
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've been doing this a short while, but one thing I've never seen go on sale is banding machines... am I just missing it? Or does it just never happen ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post subject: Re: Bending machine..
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Focus: Build
You mean like a discounted price, or just where to get one? If you mean on sale at a discounted price, I've never seen that either.

http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/shop/i ... Path=10_49

http://www.lmii.com/products/tools-serv ... ng-machine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Building your own isn't too difficult either. Grab one of the Keenovo silicon blankets from Ebay and a shop fox veneer press from Amazon. The rest of it is just a trip to home depot. There are some plans available online too. I used the one from GLS. It's digital delivery so you can get started while you're waiting for the silicon blanket to arrive on the slow boat from China. http://ultimate-guitar-online.ultimate- ... ducts_id=7

Brad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
I have the same take on this as Kevin. Demand=supply, so there are no reasons to discount. If cost is a factor, I agree with Brad, they are not hard to make.

OTOH, I don't use a machine since I don't build lots of guitars every year. I just bend by hand over an iron. It's one of the most fun and satisfying parts of building in my opinion, to hear the sizzle of the water turning to steam, to feel the wood heat up and yield in your own hands, the lovely smell of the warm wood, the sides taking form. YMMV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I have done both hand bending and bending with a Fox bender (via blanket, not light bulbs). Both are fine, but I am going to move back to hand bending for a while. Like Steve, I enjoy it, but equally important, I feel like it is more likely to give me the results I am looking for, and faster to boot. Using the Fox bender seems to take a lot of cool down time, and I get springback at the waist. I feel like I can get the bend the way I want it faster with the iron, and then move directly onto the second side. I guess I'll feel this way until I snap a side, right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
I have seen a couple go on sale here in the Classified section. Not for a while though. No need for a machine. Just make a form, cut off a few pieces of 2x4, round one off to fit the waist, grab some Quick Grip clamps, a blanket and slats and go to it. Oh yeah, Gloves!
Attachment:
0062 (Medium).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

These users thanked the author WaddyThomson for the post: James Orr (Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:26 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
doncaparker wrote:
I have done both hand bending and bending with a Fox bender (via blanket, not light bulbs). Both are fine, but I am going to move back to hand bending for a while. Like Steve, I enjoy it, but equally important, I feel like it is more likely to give me the results I am looking for, and faster to boot. Using the Fox bender seems to take a lot of cool down time, and I get springback at the waist. I feel like I can get the bend the way I want it faster with the iron, and then move directly onto the second side. I guess I'll feel this way until I snap a side, right?

I always use the bending iron. I suppose it's just because I've used it for almost 50 years and am stuck in my ways; but it works and is fast. Usually I bend to shape then clamp in the guitar form overnight so the wood dries while clamped to the form. The sides come out perfect the next day with little or no spring back. I suspect bending forms with electric blankets works better especially for bindings etc. but sometimes one just does what one has always done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Howell
City: Atlanta
State: Ga
I made a fox bender from plans but had no luck with it alone. However my home made pipe bender works fine for rough shape. Then I can get it in the fox bender and after 30 min I have my shape.

I'm on #2 now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
There are all kinds of sources got the plans: http://www.cadguitarplans.com/product-c ... nder-plans

Build your own. I built mine when light bulbs were still in fashion as heat source. It easily adapted to heat blankets. Lol. I've rebuilt it once after I wore original out. Or, u could drop 5 big ones on s prebuilt version.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Good link to plans Mike!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

If you take the few minutes time to pre-bend the waist curve -- like the factory processes you'll have good success with any of the hobby designs that use a metal backing slat (ours are made of .020" aluminum).

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post: Imbler (Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
kencierp wrote:
If you take the few minutes time to pre-bend the waist curve -- like the factory processes you'll have good success with any of the hobby designs that use a metal backing slat (ours are made of .020" aluminum).

So true. I have found that using a small waist blanket in my bender, heating just the waist and bringing it in, then letting the waist cool (I spray a little water on it) then heating the main blanket and bend the rest, really helps getting the job done. (Is that really just one sentence???)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I must have been a cheapskate - didn't even use plans. Just scaled dimensions from a net image of one with a form of known length, and used a length of studding for a waist screw.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Last Name: Imbler
City: Wichita
State: KS
Zip/Postal Code: 67204
kencierp wrote:

Ken, do you mean pre-bend the waist on a pipe, or just make that the first process in using the bending machine (i.e. slowly cranking the waist down, then completing the bending.)?

thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Colin North wrote:
I must have been a cheapskate - didn't even use plans. Just scaled dimensions from a net image of one with a form of known length, and used a length of studding for a waist screw.

:D Leaves more for whisky! :D

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Imbler wrote:
kencierp wrote:

Ken, do you mean pre-bend the waist on a pipe, or just make that the first process in using the bending machine (i.e. slowly cranking the waist down, then completing the bending.)?

thanks, Mike

I hope not. Because I never did that. And would not want to start either. However, I always start at the waist. My wood is so softened with Super Soft II, I never seem to run into problems. Just bent some waterfall bubinga (whoa figure!!) into cutaway. Easy Peazy. The Fox Bender is a must have tool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joe Beaver wrote:
Good link to plans Mike!

I love how those plans still have the holes for the incandescent light bulbs. Do they still sell lights like that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

"Ken, do you mean pre-bend the waist on a pipe, or just make that the first process in using the bending machine (i.e. slowly cranking the waist down, then completing the bending.)?"

On a pipe ---- sides are profiled and inner most waist curve apex marked -- Same as Taylor. I pre-bend cut-a-ways on a special plpe as well, life's good no cracks, no worries.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post: Imbler (Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:51 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Alex Kleon wrote:
Colin North wrote:

:D Leaves more for whisky! :D

Alex

[:Y:] Or more tools and wood bliss

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Colin North wrote:

Yeah, your'e a cheapskate, I did the same thing...

These users thanked the author klooker for the post (total 2): Rbello (Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:31 pm) • Colin North (Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:53 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
klooker wrote:
Colin North wrote:

Yeah, your'e a cheapskate, I did the same thing...

Me too (another cheapskate). There's nothing really critical in the dimensions. +/- 1/4" or maybe even 1/2" which is easy enough to eyeball if you have a guitar template handy for comparison. You just have to make sure your press screw fits, the bender is wide enough for your heating blanket, and your form hangs out the ends.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

My recommendation is to bend by hand on a pipe. You can easily switch from pattern to pattern. ( I use more than a dozen shapes).
It takes me about an hour to bend both sides.
You can always make or buy a bender if and when you decide to make more than one shape a bunch of times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
I bent my first guitar on a hot pipe rig I put together using an electric charcoal starter. It was a good way to learn how wood bends. I've used a Fox bender since then, touching it up with the pipe. It seems a bit faster to get consistent bends. Also, I'm planning to use some figured wood, so I feels the bender is worth having for me.

Building a bending machine from plans, or from a blurry picture, is easy in the same sense that building a guitar is easy. All you need is a sufficient combination of innate ability, knowledge, and experience.

When I started building guitars I found it easy to build simple jigs that had no moving parts. I bought the detailed LMI plans, but looking at them I didn't think I was up to building a bending machine, at least in any reasonable amount of time--it was hard for me to visualize it in 3 dimensions. So I bought the Blues Creek bender, and it's worked well for me.

Since then, I built a Wells-Carol jig from the OLF tutorial. I learned a lot doing that, and I've built other jigs with a moderate degree of complexity. I can now say building a bending machine is easy. For me. Trivially easy for many. But not necessarily for everyone.

One thing I like about building my jigs is that the process of making them somehow helps me understand them in a more complete way. That translates into using them more effectively. It's hard to explain how this works. I guess it's like the deeper understanding of something you have when you learn it from personal experience instead of learning it in a class.

If you're relatively proficient in building jigs, I'd say make yourself a bending machine. If building jigs isn't easy for you, and you have the $, consider buying one. Or, go ahead and build one, with the understanding that what you save in money may not make up for the extra time, but what you learn will be valuable in the long term.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:00 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gary
Last Name: Lee
I have a friend who would like to sell a gently used LMI deluxe bending machine. http://www.lmii.com/products/tools-services/bending/heating/lmi-bending-machine/lmi-bending-machine-deluxe It has a classical mold and shoe, but no heating blanket. If you are interested, please PM me and I will find out the asking price.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If you make one consider making the top removable. It is a lot easier to get the side out, especially a cutaway.

I built mine 13 years ago and made the tower too short so I had to make the top removable. Turned out to be a great idea.

If you secure the lower slat so it can't straighten when the cauls are removed and take the top off the side just pops out. It's also a lot easier to load the sandwich into the bender with the top off.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): TimAllen (Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 pm) • rlrhett (Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 pm)