Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Denvir
City: Baltimore
State: ON
Zip/Postal Code: K0K 1C0
Focus: Build
Since I've been building guitars for fun and profit (and to be fair, there's not a lot of profit involved -:), I've been dealing with customers primarily via email and phone.

And most interaction has to do with the guitar they're commissioning. Makes perfectly good sense.

But recently, I've started getting nosier. I'm asking them who they are. Family? Age? Job?

And far from getting pushback, I'm getting very enthusiastic responses.

The best thing? There's something nice about building guitars for a person, as opposed to a customer.

I've also got a sneaking suspicion that it's going to make for building better guitars.

Steve

These users thanked the author JSDenvir for the post (total 3): Michaeldc (Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:41 pm) • Alex Kleon (Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:07 pm) • Imbler (Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:31 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I found that to be the case with most customers. They liked the fact that I sent photos all the time by email. I used to get customers that would fly to Minneapolis to see the shop, test the instruments and just get to know us. We'd put them up, if they liked and just hung out. Made them feel that you were doing the utmost to help them with their choices while you check them out. Just getting to know someone that orders an instrument gives them confidence to go for it. Many became "cross country friends".
The most profound thing that ever happened to me was a guy that sent a photo book of all the photos I sent him while building the mandolin. Was pretty elaborate...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Lucku_Luke (Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:07 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Focus: Build
With most of my customers, I feel like I've formed friendships, though they often fade some time after delivery--hopefully not from dissatisfaction with the guitar. It makes the build more enjoyable.

Pat

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Cool Steve! I'm doing a commission right now. I prefer spec but if a customer is a good human I'm happy to commission.

This latest was a referral from a dealer I use. (guitars!) I've kept in touch almost daily with progress photos via text. He LOVES it and it gets us both a little more excited. By doing so also adds a far more personal element to the whole process and lets face it. A commission for a higher end guitar that you will spend so many hours in your life with, is pretty personal. I also found that a little interaction in the shop is good. (goofing off) Texting is a great tool to keep in touch. Unlike a call, you don't have to respond immediately and so fast to click a pic and fire it off with a few words.

We had a fairly good good idea of the outcome from the start but I do like to let a few details unfold for themselves along the way. It was fun to involve him in some of the decision making. He pretty much agreed to what i thought would work : )

Thanks for pointing it out pal!

Cheers!