All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: The Redwood Top Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 am 
Koa
Koa

Good day gents,
I would love to get your thoughts on redwood as a top material. Have you used it before? How does it work? What about the sound? Stiffness? Pics ?

Thank you for any insights :)
Blessings.
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post subject: The Redwood Top Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My most recent has an LS redwood top. I treated it like Sitka at the advice of a mentor, meaning I thicknessed it to the same deflection. It's very sensitive to dynamics and touch but has less punch than Sitka would. It's a beautiful sounding guitar. Next time I might leave an extra .010" on, but I'm very pleased with it. Mind you I worked the top very thin at a touch thinner than .08".

Redwood varies greatly from tree to tree. More so than other woods IMO. I would make sure you have some method to dial in top thickness rather than working from a rote measurement recommendation.

I don't hear this much anymore, but it used to be common to hear that redwood is like a combination of cedar and spruce. It certainly has the definition of spruce on the attack, but a little less weight behind it IMO. The overtones are gorgeous. It's an absolutely fantastic tonewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by James Orr on Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Focus: Build
I've used it a number of times, and at Palomar College we probably see 6-7 instruments a year built by the students and instructors out of redwood. One year we were donated reclaimed redwood from a water tower in Northern California. The wood must have been a thousand years old.

I carved an archtop out of it, and at least a dozen guitars were made from those couple of planks. Some of the nicest tone wood I've ever had the privilege to work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
Several years ago I traded shop work for sets of sinker Redwood from the same person that is selling to a major NorCal distributor and sponsor here.
I also have several sets of Redwood that were cut from reclaimed mine timbers, from a different supplier.
What I have noticed is that the stiffness drops off fairly quickly if not 1/4 sawn. They are all fairly brittle and crack/break rather easily. They were all well dried.
I really like the sound on the ones I have built. They have a warm deep, clear tone and seem fairly loud. I left them 5-10% thicker than spruce to start and a lot of that came off when I was graduating the tops. I look forward to using it again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Victor
Last Name: Seal
City: Osseo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49266
I built a 14 fret OM with a redwood top and was real happy with the balance and sustain. I didn't get to play it a lot before it went to the present owner. She loves it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I heartily suggest getting more experience with spruce first to develop a sense of appropriate top material, or dig hard into the data analysis side of things.

The variation in spruce is much less than in redwood, redwood is literally all over the map. I don't think I'll buy it again unless I can select it myself. I've sent back far more than I kept, and bought from very reputable sources. I've spent more money on returning redwood than I have on redwood product that I've kept.

So until you get a sense of what a top shoUld feel and sound like, it's a real crapshoot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I like it. I've only built one classical and one dreadnought from it and both are good guitars. This one is a mahogany redwood guitar that sounds great, lots of overtones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Tim L wrote:
What I have noticed is that the stiffness drops off fairly quickly if not 1/4 sawn. They are all fairly brittle and crack/break rather easily ... I left them 5-10% thicker than spruce to start and a lot of that came off when I was graduating the tops.

I agree with Tim's comments. I think it's lovely wood to work and can make a fine sounding guitar, but does require careful selection and special handling.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I like redwood quite a bit. It is on the brittle side and might crack with rough handling but not a big problem. It makes a very nice sounding guitar.

Although I have built several with it I could only lay my hands on a picture of a curly redwood topped SS.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

Does anyone have a comparison of the stiffness of normal redwood vs sinker redwood? If 2 identical instruments were built by the same builder in the same way with the same specs would there be a difference in tone?
I've read (forgot where) that sinker can be harder / stiffer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Just like any wood, each piece is individual. You wouldn't just build spruce to a spec without flexing it to see if you need more or less. I would assume the same would apply whether the redwood is sinker or not. I don't believe being sinker wood dramatically changes the physical properties.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

This is my mini-piece of the week, the first few bars to Clive Carrolls, "Lady of the Valley". I only worked on the first few because they're the only ones I have any shot at playing. laughing6-hehe

I thought I'd record it so that you can hear the guitar and redwood top

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thank you much for the sound sample. The guitar ... to me ... has a VERY unique sound that I can't put my finger on...
It's like a hard dark sound. I'm sure that a new one haha
Again James thanks...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

It's a great tone wood, it sounds fabulous, it's not as "sparkly" as spruce, but it's richer if that makes sense.

Also some caveats...

It's soft, so it dings too easily, put a guard on the joined top when you get it cut out (I just use some heavy poster paper). It's not as bright as Spruce, so your top should be just a hair thicker. I've not had any issues gluing it up or working with it, I just keep in mind that I need to be gentle and patient with it.

I've got a number of sets in my stack waiting to be used later this summer, love to get my hands on some sinker redwood....

-Paul-

These users thanked the author Sprockett for the post: sulcata (Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
SnowManSnow wrote:
Does anyone have a comparison of the stiffness of normal redwood vs sinker redwood? If 2 identical instruments were built by the same builder in the same way with the same specs would there be a difference in tone?
I've read (forgot where) that sinker can be harder / stiffer.

I've only built one sinker top, but I've handled a few other sets as well, and my feeling is that it mainly affects the appearance and smell rather than the tone. But redwood is so variable to begin with that it's hard to say whether something is due to being sinker or inherent to the piece.

Redwood is my favorite soundboard material. If spruce is vanilla ice cream and cedar is chocolate, then redwood is Neapolitan :) A bit of both, with an exciting new flavor as well. Also very easy to work, and has low humidity expansion so if you brace dry it will tolerate just about any humidity.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:27 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Andrew
Last Name: Pohlman
City: Pinole
Zip/Postal Code: 94564
Talk to Trevor Gore. He built a redwood top neoclassical for me. He used "ancient" sinker wood - I think he said it was 300 years old??? (I'm prolly wrong.) The back and sides are Pterocarpus indicus.

The sound is beyond amazing - which I'm sure the redwood contributes to greatly. It is soft like cedar, and with a FP finish, it is "fragile". See pics.
Attachment:
gore redwood 01.jpg

Attachment:
gore redwood 02.jpg

Attachment:
gore redwood 03.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Robert
Last Name: Cefalu
City: Buffalo
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 14217
WOW Andrew. That guitar is gorgeous.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brad
Last Name: Hall
City: Windsor
State: Ca.
Zip/Postal Code: 95492
I built an OM with a beautiful set of redwood for the top acquired from LMI. Walnut back and sides. I enjoyed working with it. Learned to clip my fingernails short and use protective tape early on as it is easily scratched or dented. I finished it in tru-oil and think it is beautiful. I'm a new enough builder that I can't attribute the sound to any particular tone wood or thickness or bracing pattern. I do know I like the sound I get out of the guitar, which was the reason for the build after all .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
Here's another one with a redwood top from the same tree as the classical above. When you've got everything else under control and have a really nice guitar, it is only special wood that makes a very special guitar. The few redwood guitars I've built have all had "it", all made from the same very low damping redwood, but otherwise treated "text book" fashion. And unfortunately, I've used the last of that wood! As others have said, redwood is very variable, so you need to choose it personally.

Attachment:
RedWdBloodWdc.jpg

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:25 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Andrew
Last Name: Pohlman
City: Pinole
Zip/Postal Code: 94564
Bobc wrote:
WOW Andrew. That guitar is gorgeous.
Trevor Gore wrote:
... The few redwood guitars I've built have all had "it", all made from the same very low damping redwood, but otherwise treated "text book" fashion. And unfortunately, I've used the last of that wood! ...
Praise goes to Trevor! I feel extremely lucky to own some of Trevor's work and a piece of "that redwood" !

I used to think that my Factory Rodriguez FF Sabicas was an exceptional guitar. And it is. But it simply sounds dead and lifeless compared my Gore redwood top. And I can say this with some degree of objectivity as three people in particular have raved about it's sonority :: Ben Barron (grad of SF Conservatory and my Master instructor), Pamela Goldsmith (professor of classical guitar at Linfield college and my online instructor), and Lewis Santor (luthier, and protege of Ervin Somogyi).

The fun story about this guitar? Ben and I were performing at a private concert. We do a "master/student" type presentation. He asked to "check out" my Gore. He immediately said "This is a sweet sounding guitar!" He would not put it down. Literally. I asked for it back and he said "just a few more minutes" - several times. I had to get assertive and demand it back as I still needed to warm up! Keep in mind that Ben plays the Ruck made for Rey de la Torre! And he would not put the Gore down! Sweet indeed! [:Y:]

Ben wants to record on my Gore. I'd like to record him, too. But alas, my work schedule is kinda killing me. Maybe later this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Good story Andrew, and quite an affirmation of Trevor's beautiful work