It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Epoxy For Fretboards
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Years ago when Rick Turner was posting here he was a fan of using epoxy to attach fretboards to eliminate any warping from water based glues.

I tried it and liked it but after a time had to remove one for a broken truss rod and it was a mess. I went back to Tightbond and lived with a little irregularity that had to be leveled out. Never had one dead flat even if clamped in the caul for a couple of days.

After watching the Greenfield video I decided to try epoxy again and just recently glued two up. Dead flat after the caul and clamps came off. I think I am going back again.

Thoughts on epoxy and fretboards?

Post subject: Re: Epoxy For Fretboards
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ha! Well eventually you will find what you like :)

I guess it depends on building methods. I only level the FB after the whole project has been finished and the neck is permanently attached. I would do that whether it was epoxied or water base glued. If I fretted the FB off the neck or even fretted the neck separate from the guitar before attaching it then I'd have to rely on the very best methods to keep everything straight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

While I haven't done it yet (next week), I have my Smith's All Wood epoxy ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
I've used both and have not found, in my experience, any difference in the results. Sometimes I have to level a tiny bit regardless of which glue I used.
James, one tip on Smiths. I have some and it is thicker than other epoxies I've used, and the longer you have it, the thicker it gets. I asked the folks at Smith's what to do when it thickens and they to put the bottles in the sun and let them warm up. I have done this and soaked the bottles in warm water and it does help it flow better.

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: James Orr (Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:21 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

I used to use epoxy and now use HHG, I am trying to not use epoxy at all.

I do get distortion after gluing but it has been predictable and I am building in the amount I expect to see in movement. I have assumed, though have not had to do it, that I could release and "spring" the board if it was more/less than I wanted.

When I did use epoxy I found it very predictable. I used smiths and WEST. I do remember Mark Blanchard having issues with Smiths under nitro at the FB joint. I cannot remember the details, however.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Many fine builders use epoxy to affix fingerboards to necks.
And repairman hate them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
Focus: Build
I use West System for gluing fretboards and I've never had a problem.

I recently had to remove one because it slipped during glue-up due to a dufus move on my part. Removing it was easy--just warm with a heat gun on a low setting, warm a putty knife with the same gun, pry gently. Takes a few minutes. In this case, I had already epoxied position markers into the board, which I didn't want to remove, so I heated from the neck side (the neck was unfinished). No problem.

In my building, I use hide glue, fish glue, Titebond I, and very occasionally, CA. Of these, epoxy is by far the easiest to release. One caveat: unless you scrape away all the epoxy really thoroughly, you need to use epoxy to reglue.

As I learn, I'm using fish glue and HHG more and more, but I still like epoxy for fretboards.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:40 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I've done ep*xy for fret boards many times and IIRC Mario and Rick were what got me started with the ep*xy.

Then along comes my friend Link who made a very convincing argument that ep*xy is more dampening than say rock hard HHG and I have to agree with the thinking. Link thought it counter productive to place a dampening glue between the fret board and the neck.

As such to me the jury is still out and based on my experience with everything else tradition may just have had this nailed too, not literally.... but figuratively.... nails suck.... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
I use HHG no problems at all. I have a massive bench and glue fingerboards on Sunday afternoon leaving them clamped to the bench all week, they all have come off straight.

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post (total 2): Colin North (Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:19 pm) • Hesh (Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:06 am)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
I use epoxy, and I agree it is relatively easy to get the fret board off with heat. I learned early on, from my first attempts, that it is relatively easy to starve an epoxy joint by over-clamping, and I had to learn to go much lighter on the pressure than I was used to using titebond for the same step or for larger woodworking project assemblies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
I've been using epoxy after I experienced significant back bow on a Les Paul with set neck where I used Titebond.

I also tooth the underside of the fingerboard too as recommended by Mario Proulx.

Here's an old thread
viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=38706&hilit=epoxy

Kevin Looker

These users thanked the author klooker for the post: TimAllen (Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:41 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Good info.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
FWIW I use fish glue for gluing up my FB on ukes , It has some advantages and some negatives..I/ve tried epoxy, but if u screw up it/s a real PITA, fish is more forgiving, and while the cleanup takes time, it/s more user friendly IMHO. I use sysytem 3 . Some luthiers prefer epoxy. I have used it as well. But down the road it might create problems . for repair .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
We use hot hide glue. All of our new construction sees the unfretted fretboards go on before the neck is shaped, and we always use a very still I-beam MDF strong-back with fitted caul, a half dozen medium-sized Bessey Tradesman clamps to get a few thousand pounds of clamping pressure at the glue line, and we let things dry for a full 48 hours. We've used West System, fish, and Titebond on this joint as well, but found that hide has the best combination of release, cleanup, compatibility with waterbased finish, and prep for reglue. We've never had a neck that changed shape due to excess moisture, but we've always used some sort of dead flat or strong-back system for neck glue-ups and an extended drying cycle.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Colin North (Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Can someone get rid of this mahi dweeb?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
stopped using epoxy
I use any good wood glue. The more I do this the less I use epoxy and CA

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Old thread eh? I am back to using Tightbond Extend. Have been for quite a while. That is where I am staying.

I don’t know why but the extend seems to dry to a harder more brittle state compared to regular Tightbond. Kind of like the old LMI white.

Anyway if I leave them clamped in the caul for a couple of days the irregularities are pretty minimal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Bot revival! I often wonder how much glue people use that causes distortions. When I’m done spreading it’s a very thin layer. If you put your finger in it’ll take a fingerprint and make a ‘schlick’ sound when you take your finger off...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I have always used Titebond, but it is true that ebony (if you can still find it) is a big mover when moisture is added. I only had a problem once when I got over zealous with the titebond.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:53 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Anyone dampen the topside of the fingerboard before clamping to ‘compensate’ for the moisture on the gluing face? I’ve heard about this trick from several people but when I’ve tried it I don’t notice a real difference. I don’t really get a ton of movement anyway; I use HHG and a very rigid caul.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
I don't bother to dampen the other side of the board when glueing. I use a lot of clamps and let the glue-up set overnight. I've never had any problems while using Titebond or HHG.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Once you commit to arching the fingerboard and installing the frets later, after you glue/bolt (whichever connection method) the neck to the body, it doesn’t matter if there is water in the glue. I just use hot hide glue for this joint, because I use it for all glued joints on a guitar. This also makes it easier to use a rigid caul, because the fingerboard is still uniformly flat at this point. There’s a whole lot to be gained by arching and fretting later in the process.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I've routinely dampened reverse side of ebony FBs and bridges for gluing, especially rift/flatsawn to prevent cupping, successfully.
(if using water based glues

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
joshnothing wrote:
Anyone dampen the topside of the fingerboard before clamping to ‘compensate’ for the moisture on the gluing face? I’ve heard about this trick from several people but when I’ve tried it I don’t notice a real difference. I don’t really get a ton of movement anyway; I use HHG and a very rigid caul.

Yep. I use HHG and usually get a visible glue line otherwise, even though the board is not yet radiused at the time of gluing. Perhaps a caul with the surface scraped slightly concave would be able to concentrate enough pressure at the edges to force them down, but the water trick works well, and actually eliminates the need for a caul entirely which speeds up the clamping process. I just stick a bunch of cam clamps along the board like this:
Attachment:
FingerboardGlued.jpg

But I may try epoxy on the next one. I have had to remove a board glued with HHG, and it was a horrible struggle and the board was all bent and cupped by the time it came off. A glue that releases with heat alone would likely come off with less damage. It would also be nice not having to deal with the super short open time of HHG.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Epoxy For Fretboards
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
joshnothing wrote:

Dampen? As with water? No. But I religiously spread a thin application of Titebond on BOTH surfaces. That was drilled into my head as best practice whenever using PVA glues.
I’ve never experienced movement of any of my fingerboards, about half of which are Indian ebony. Skill, best practice, or dumbass luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk