Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matt
Last Name: Cushman
City: Great Falls
State: MT
Zip/Postal Code: 59401
Focus: Build
The "Grover" tuning keys on these chibsons are also counterfeit. They look like Grovers but they are made poorly and don't work well just like most other Chinese tuners.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:43 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Andrew
Last Name: Pohlman
City: Pinole
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94564
The problem is horrifying. I work for the CA Prison system as a Nurse Instructor, and I receive reports from Customs and Border Protection statewide as informational bulletins. They used to find containers full of smuggled goods. Nowadays, smuggled goods are hidden with legitimate goods. The problem extends to Marlboro cigarettes, designer clothes, Apple products, and of course, guitars, and every conceivable object - all counterfeit. It is so bad now, that every container from China they inspect (they don't inspect them all) has some percentage of counterfeit goods. This includes counterfeit items separate from fake labels and logos that are applied inside sweat shops here on US soil. The numbers are not small. They find 1000s of instruments and 10s of 1000s of other items. They found over $1M of fake Marlboro cigarettes in June, as an example.

The scope of the problem was realized after 911 with the scanning of containers for explosives. What they found was not explosives. Nowadays, 95% of all "high risk" containers (meaning the shippers were busted before) are scanned prior to leaving the port of origin, and again in Long Beach and LA ports upon arrival. Port of Oakland does less as fewer ships from China arrive there directly. The machinery is very sensitive, but unless they actually open the containers and inspect for hidden counterfeit jeans among the legitimate ones, the machines can't tell the difference.

All such counterfeits are confiscated. So for those who want good counterfeits for cheap, talk to Customs; you may be able to work something out...

It's very real stuff like this that makes it very hard to defend Chinese manufacturers. There is no doubt in my mind that they will do anything for profits. Reference melamine in pet food and lead in baby toys. And if some stuff is confiscated, it's part of the overhead of doing business... Yeah folks, this making an honest living thing is for the birds. If I could start over, I'd get a Masters degree in Evil Greedy CEO. That's where the real money is. That and smuggling...

These users thanked the author Droidiphile for the post (total 3): Phil Marcus (Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 am) • david farmer (Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:58 pm) • Imbler (Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:46 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Arnold
City: Newport
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37821
Focus: Repair
Quote:
The "Grover" tuning keys on these chibsons are also counterfeit. They look like Grovers but they are made poorly and don't work well just like most other Chinese tuners.

Grovers have not been made in the US since the 1980's. Whether it's Taiwan, Korea, or China, they are still Asian.

These users thanked the author John Arnold for the post (total 2): kencierp (Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:58 am) • Hesh (Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:08 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:43 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matt
Last Name: Cushman
City: Great Falls
State: MT
Zip/Postal Code: 59401
John Arnold wrote:
Quote:

Grovers have not been made in the US since the 1980's. Whether it's Taiwan, Korea, or China, they are still Asian.

The genuine grovers are of good quality unlike these counterfeit grovers which barely work at all! The counterfeit keys are equal to the lowest grade tuners out there. Which is the point I was making.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Ha

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post (total 2): DanKirkland (Sat May 26, 2018 3:15 pm) • Alex Kleon (Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:55 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Had to look twice, Dan.
THAT IS FUNNY!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:54 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Looks like that wrench f*ctory speaks Eric Cartman....... :)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Had a couple fakes cross my bench in the last couple months... A completely faux Ibanez Steve Vai Jem 777, and a fake Fender Billy Corgan model. Both clients paid big bucks for them, only for me to give them the awful truth. The only bright spots in the stories were that I was able to make each guitar quite playable, even if they didn't sound like expensive models.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"Bought a fake Les Paul a couple weeks ago. A REALLY GOOD ONE"
"The only bright spots in the stories were that I was able to make each guitar quite playable, even if they didn't sound like expensive models"

I wonder if they will be "sold on" to some other unsuspecting fool.

As Chinese products improve in quality it will become harder to justify the high price of an occidental equivalent. The HF knock offs of the Jorgensen F body clamps used to be total junk, but now are on a par, and are much cheaper. They don't try to pass themselves off as something they are not, even if they do "brand" them with American sounding names. A lot of HF stuff is sub-par, but then as "American" companies have moved production overseas I think quality has also slipped.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Julie
Last Name: Moriarty
City: Punta Gorda
State: FL
Zip/Postal Code: 33950
Dave Rickard wrote:
But I keep hearing that the fake Les Pauls are as good or better than the real ones.
makes me wonder if you want a great Les Paul check out the fakes?

I made a Tele-style guitar for a friend of mine who performs several times a week. He said it is as good or better than Fender Custom Shop guitars he's played. And I don't have that many guitars under my belt. Maybe he was just being nice but sometimes I think that even a moderately skilled luthier can match some of the best quality factory guitars in sound and playability.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
The thing with these is the fraud of trying to pass them off as the genuine article - not the quality of the thing in hand....

Several guys on YouTube have shown the process of buying one... And it turns out that they will inlay and stamp literally anything on it that you want... So for example - I could just as easily design my own "TruckJohn Amalgamated Industries Guitars, Beer, N Tater Chips" headstock logo and sticker - and they will do that for the same price... Ed Roman did that with his own line of guitars coming out of Chinese factories....

But.... Those don't sell for nearly what a fake Chibson or Chartin will sell for by trying to pass it off as the genuine article.... And so the demand is massively lower....