Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Ramsey
City: Lawndale
State: Ca
Zip/Postal Code: 90260
Focus: Build
I keep getting closer to my first build and I purchased a set of OLF SJ plans from Stew-Mac. Seeing the back bracing options made me wonder what are the advantages of each type of bracing used on these plans.

X Brace or Ladder Bracing

Which do you like and why?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:40 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Ressler
City: Sandwich
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60548
I did the x braced back on my last 4 gutiars. Other than the fact that it looks really cool, I think it adds stiffness to the back. I had several wild grain backs which I felt the x brace pattern added more support to an otherwise unruly back plate. I did however make the braces a little thinner than I normally do with a ladder braced back.

You'll notice this also has solid linings, which I do all the time now. It adds considerable stiffness to the sides as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 am 
Koa
Koa

J,
How do you make the X joint, and can you describe the lining laminations (simple, I suppose... but someone will benefit.)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Ramsey
City: Lawndale
State: Ca
Zip/Postal Code: 90260
Focus: Build
Thanks for the response John.

So, You would mainly use a stiffer X brace on wood that isn't quartersawn and more likely to move around?

On more stable wood would you thin the back a little more to get a more lively box then use the stiffer X bracing to maintain form?

I'm trying to grasp all the concepts that I can to help me gain a good targeted plan as I start building.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Ressler
City: Sandwich
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60548
Terry Stowell wrote:
J,
How do you make the X joint, and can you describe the lining laminations (simple, I suppose... but someone will benefit.)

X brace is just a 90 degree half lap joint. The horizontal brace is really 2 separate braces fit to tuck in the "V" of the x brace. I usually put a cap on top of this joint (didn't on this one though)

The linings are solid mahogany 3/16" thick and about 11/16" wide. I bent them with a bending blanket and "Fox" bender. It bends fine for a dreadnought (did for an OM too) but you need to take your time bending or it will break. For tighter bends such as a cutaway, I laminate 3 - 1/6" inch thick strips, glue the laminates on the side of the guitar (dry joint on the guitar side) clean up the edges and then glue to the sides. I love how these look and sure make a difference on the stiffness of the sides. And you can get some real clean looking brace pockets.

D. Ramsey - the purpose of lightening the x brace a little is to reduce weight since I am adding an extra brace (5 total) than if it were ladder braced (4 total)

I have one that I will be doing solid linings in a few weeks (cutaway) I'll try to remember to take some photos.