Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I couldnt say steve .... you could try taking the tape off, and holdingthe Ibeam directly on the face of the guitar and see what that does. To me they sound more like a mic than a pickup, possibly part of why they tend to feedback early. I am really not sure what is in them, so whether the CA mount would help or not .... idunno .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This has been a great thread. A retired Nashville lead guitarist I've been working with contends that once you've plugged in a great sounding hand made acoustic you have pretty much factored out all the cool stuff the luthier did to make it a killer guitar. You have to go for the best combination of hardware you can find that gives the best plugged in sound. He also contends, as have many in this thread, that playing into a good mic is the only way to amplify the guitar's real sound. Right now for gigging he's happiest with a K&K Pure Western and a Sunrise soundhole pickup wired in stereo.
If a working musician is plugged in all the time maybe they would be better off with something like a $600 BlueRridge that is set up well and spent the real cash on their sound reinforcement.
Any thoughts?
Terry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:03 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

On a good classical guitar, even a inch-long piezo film and a short length of small cable can affect the acoustic tone and volume noticeably. It's more likely due to the damping and mass of the cable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
I seen someone use a soundhole pickup plugged in to a Fender Twin Reverb... I thought that sounded great but probably not as accurate as plugging into a PA or an "acoustic" amp... I'll probably end up using a soundhole pickup into a Marshall Plexi... gives interesting sounds sometimes.

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Steve Sollod wrote:
After I posted that last post I realized that it was pretty stupid... If you want better sound, you need to get what gives it to you... even if it costs a little more... duh I wonder if the "foam" mounting tape on the I-beam would have a bearing on the sound. The K&Ks mount with CA. Do you think it might be better to mount the I-beam with CA instead of the foam tape that is supplied?

No, bad idea; the I-beam is what it is. They can sound very, very good--I was an owner/operator for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have been using an Ibeam active into a Fender Princeton then to the PA sounds pretty good I think. Five years of weekly gigs and still going strong. Batteries last well so its good for the money.