All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Polishing Tru Oil
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:37 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Hello everybody,

What kind of product do you use for polishing a Tru Oil finish to a high gloss ? Birchwood casey purpose a product, but only for a satin finish.

Thanks in advance.

Guillaume.

Post subject: Re: Polishing Tru Oil
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For polishing oil finishes, including tru-oil, you can use rottenstone mixed with oil to produce a nice lustre, and if you want to get a higher shine then use something like Meguiar's #9 swirl remover and #7 glaze polish (made for cars). You'll never get that high gloss that a mechanically buffed nitro finish will give you, but who wants a guitar that looks like it's coated in plastic anyway.

This is an oil finish, not Tru-oil but similar, that has been rubbed out with rottenstone then hand polished.

Colin

Attachment:
La lena quarter.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colin,
That's a fabulous finish.

If you have the time could you please tell me what your finishing schedule is? And what sort of oil do you use? I am looking close to home for luthiery items these days due to the weakening £...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Guillaume, I've polished a Tru-oil finish with Mirror (Cuivre, Laiton, Bronze) after 1000 grit Wet-or-dry paper used wet with a drop of 'liquide vaisselle' in the water. As Colin said, you can also use auto polish. By the way, have you found a supplier of Tru-oil in France? The nearest I have found is David Dyke in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin,
That is beautiful. Please do tell.
Link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Link It's just my Torres homage, La lena. See and hear, here.

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=15647&hilit=La+lena

Colin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
Focus: Build
What an excellent source of inspiration...thanks for (re) posting!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

Tru-oil is a buildable finish, once you get it level and filling the surface pores you can just keep going.
I dont like to polish the final coat though. what I do is level the penultimate coat and wet sand it down to 2000 grit, then wipe on a final thin glaze coat of the tru-oil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Steve
Last Name: Marcq
City: Allenstown
State: NH
Zip/Postal Code: 03275
Focus: Build
I just finished my first with Tru-oil, and love it. It definitely does build. I used Novus scratch remover and polish, working on a small area at a time. It is apparently made for removing scratches from acrylics and the like. Skipped the # 3 (coarse) as Alan said and started with #2 and then #1. Prior to that I was micromeshing it and I was not getting the results I thought I would. It shines up beautifully and is holding up well. I got it at a local plastic supply house, and will definitely use it (both the Tru-oil and the Novus) on the next one.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hopefully Colin is able to chime back in with a schedule.
-j.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
True oil is definitely buildable, whether it is padded on or sprayed on (sorry, Filippo, but it's a fact.) The thing about True Oil that some people don't like is that it isn't as rock hard as lacquer.
However, this can be viewed as a blessing. It depends on one's point of view. To get back to the main topic of the thread, I will say that I sprayed a half dozen thin coats of TruOil on my archtop tailpiece, and then I let it cure and harden for about a month. It's important to be patient and to wait for the cure time. After curing, I polished it with the full range of micro mesh pads, rubbing them dry, and achieved a glassy, water-clear finish. Now...as to the "blessing" part of my statement: Oil finishes are almost infinitely repairable. If they wear or become scratched or otherwise need some attention, it's absolutely possible to gently buff the surface with 0000 steel wool (be sure to sweep, wipe, and blow off steel particles after, and then sweep, wipe, and blow again, and then do it all a third time!) then re-coat, re-cure, and re-polish. I've got a 30-year-old coffee table that gets horribly abused. I touch it up every few years. No witness lines, either. (but I confess I am not bringing it up to the watery gloss of a guitar finish).
Good luck with your project.
Patrick

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

Guillaume and Filippo, I just thought of something else that might be pertinent. If I were going to put Tru Oil on a spruce top, I would spray the top first with shellac to seal it. This would prevent the subsequent oil coats from striking into the wood. With a porous back and side wood, I would fill the pores first, level everything out, and then I would consider spraying a sealer coat of shellac here, too. But I would have no real qualms about going straight to the oil over a well-cured pore filler. As with everything else, I always do some practice trials on scraps of wood before I commit myself to applying anything to the guitar. Rest assured, Tru Oil will polish beautifully. Just give it plenty of time to cure and harden.
Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
gently buff the surface with 0000 steel wool (be sure to sweep, wipe, and blow off steel particles after, and then sweep, wipe, and blow again, and then do it all a third time!)

A small, strong magnet tied in the end of a sock will remove steel wool particles better than any method I ever tried.

Mike Franks
www.mjfranksguitar.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:48 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Yes, I've already sealed the guitar with shellac.
Thanks for all answers. I'm going to buy Meguiar's. I've already this product from LMII:
reference: FCP, FFP, FSP. Do you think it's make almost the same result as the Meguiar product does ? I have test it on a scrap piece of wood (with few coat of tru-oil): It have burn the oil ... So I'm worry to use that on a guitar. Perhaps my finish was too thin.
Dave, I've found the Tru-Oil on the ebay.uk, cause you're right, there's no suppliers in France (or I didn't know them). Where do you live ? I'm in Toulouse.

Guillaume.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:13 am 
Walnut
Walnut

LMII product that I'm talking about was ... Meguiar products, it's written behind the bottle ;) It's the same as Meguiar #7 and #9 I think.

Thanks. So I'll use the fine polish and the super fine polish, but not the cut polish who is too aggresive for a french polish or tru oil finish.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:34 am 
Koa
Koa

Hey, Mike, that "magnet in a sock" idea is great! And it's such an obvious solution--that is...once someone else has told me about it. Thanks!
Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:53 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Salut Guillaume, I'm about 40km from Bordeaux and 30km from Arcachon.