It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:13 am 
Koa
Koa

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XK ... pe_snp_MYW

I found this in my mail , I am not an expert on sharpening but it seems reasonably priced , I thought it might be worth a discusion . Jody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Jim Howell
There are some very nice choises available now in sharpening systems. This looks OK to me, but I have never used it. I have an 800 water stone for heavy work and I use a variation of the scary sharp system with a Veritas Mk II jig to get my working edges. All together about the same price. I think that the most important part of gaining sharpening skills is to pick a system and learn it by doing. Lots of doing, especially at first, to get "the feel".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hello- you don't know me. I am active in the handtools world and have been giving sharpening classes here in the Midwest. I would like to commend to you this set-up for basic really sharp tools. First, a DMT DUO-SHARP in coarse/extra coarse( largest size you can afford), then a LILYWHITE Arkansas stone( only available at "Tools for Working Wood) and then NORTON 4000/8000. Diamond for setting bevels and removing nicks, and for flattening other stones in this "program"; lilywhite to refine scratch pattern post DMT; Norton to finish out. I would add a strop with hard leather on a hard backing ,rougher side with chromium oxide bar abrasive( most reliable source Lee Valley) and smooth-tanned plain. If you need a jig, then the econo "Eclipse" clones are sold everywhere for $10 to $14, but the more expensive Veritas Mk. II Jig is a wonderful jig -its limits are very narrow chisels and the econo handles those. Best regards, MT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm 
Koa
Koa

-