Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:31 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Now there is a bee hive or two in that article. beehive It blows the doors off more than one preconceived notion. Of course creep was really not a measured input on this testing.

The big picture in this is the relationship of the wood to be glued with the fit of the joint. The one glue that surprised me the most was LHG.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

interesting article .. Right Micheal creep was not tested ... now if we can get someone to " tap test " the various glues ! wow7-eyes
I had another thought I wanted to share , about cleaning glue joints with water , I would be very carefull, if the water seeps under your joint and dilutes the not quite dried glue , it could very easily weaken the joint , I realy like lightly scraping the edges of the joint with a chisel , not quite as "perty" , but no chance of contaminatiing the joint with excess moisture . Jody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Jody wrote:
interesting article .. Right Micheal creep was not tested ... now if we can get someone to " tap test " the various glues ! wow7-eyes
I had another thought I wanted to share , about cleaning glue joints with water , I would be very carefull, if the water seeps under your joint and dilutes the not quite dried glue , it could very easily weaken the joint , I realy like lightly scraping the edges of the joint with a chisel , not quite as "perty" , but no chance of contaminatiing the joint with excess moisture . Jody

I was just thinking about this for some reason... but would a little added water really matter? Glue already has water content in it to begin with so what difference would a little more water content make so long as it all dries properly? Theoretically, once the water dries, you'd be left with the same thing in the end one way or the other, no? For instance, if you diluted 5g of salt in 1 liter of water in one bottle and 5 liters of water in another bottle, if left to evaporate, the end result would still be 5g of salt in both bottles once all the water is gone. Unless you were to introduce enough excess moisture to displace a significant amount of glue, I can't see it affecting the strength of the joint very much once dried. Can anyone else chime in and help me understand this? :oops: