Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

A question for those who re-saw their own wood for backs/sides; where are some good places to get billets, cants, or whatever to re-saw? I have a HUGE Northfield bandsaw, and I was wondering where to get good stock to re-saw (indian rosewood, sapele, etc). If I already have a saw capable, is it worth the savings to get the wood and resaw it? I am aware that there is always the possibility of flaws hidden in a cant or billet as well. Just something I was pondering doing...why not? idunno
Brad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:08 am 
Quartersawn 8/4 sapele is fairly easy to come by at large hardwood suppliers, Mahogony also fairly easy to find although not often quartersawn. Cocobola, honduras RW, more difficult but can also be found, sometimes as a woodcraft store. Good luck trying to find East indian rosewood in widths needed for backs, I was told that it's not shipped out of Indian unmilled in those widths.

I really enjoy resawing my own wood and building a guitar from rough stock, but as far as tops go I've found that you have to cut a lot of wood before you get one set of the kind of quality you can get from a Lutheir supplier. So I quit resawing tops completely, in my experience you get much higher quality for less money when I buy them from a Luthier supplier, and they have been drying longer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Usually the source is a well-kept secret. Keep searching in areas near forests and trees! laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:12 am 
Koa
Koa

Guest wrote:
Quartersawn 8/4 sapele is fairly easy to come by at large hardwood suppliers, Mahogony also fairly easy to find although not often quartersawn. Cocobola, honduras RW, more difficult but can also be found, sometimes as a woodcraft store. Good luck trying to find East indian rosewood in widths needed for backs, I was told that it's not shipped out of Indian unmilled in those widths.

I really enjoy resawing my own wood and building a guitar from rough stock, but as far as tops go I've found that you have to cut a lot of wood before you get one set of the kind of quality you can get from a Lutheir supplier. So I quit resawing tops completely, in my experience you get much higher quality for less money when I buy them from a Luthier supplier, and they have been drying longer.

Sorry that was my post as a guest, didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:47 am 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
Gilmer sells billets.
For western domestic species try Goby Walnut & Oregon Wildwood.
-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I search through the local sawmills and have been able to find quartered curly maple sycamore,
and walnut.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:28 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

JJ Donohue wrote:
Usually the source is a well-kept secret. Keep searching in areas near forests and trees! laughing6-hehe

duh ...If I want a loblolly pine or a sweetgum guitar I'll just fire up the Stihl and hit the front 40...Although there is that Mad Rose down next to the creek I've been eyeing... 8-) Anybody need any sweetgum balls? If you rake em up I won't charge ya anything for 'em! laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:32 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Appreciate it guys. I now have a starting point. Thanks for the info, Todd. I'll look around and see what I can come up with. It's just an idea I've been tossing around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

JJ Donohue wrote:
Usually the source is a well-kept secret.

Amen to that.

I've learnt that aspect of luthiery rather fast... :mrgreen:

I jest of course.. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

There are many places you can look. The best places to search are local dealers, mills, and what have you. Hand selection is always best and if you can avoid shipping that is another big plus. Often there is a lot of searching involved in finding those treasures, but it is a lot of fun (I look at resawing as a hobby in and of itself).

It is a good idea to get familiar with costs, based on how dry wood is, what level of milling has been done and so forth before you buy too much. Wood that is not dry for instance will cost you time, increase your drying risks, and so forth. You need to get into a wood buying mindset, not a "set" counting mindset. If you pay for wood based on your estimated yeild(and retail values) your going to find out the hard way there are variables that can make that wood very expensive, especially because most of the retail values are based on sourcing, tool expenses, your labor, and finally advertising, stocking, sales, and packaging. Some woods are VERY hard to source, unless you are willing to deal with larger quantity, dealing with importers or overseas mills(which becomes a whole can of worms). EIR for instance, is a wood I would not deal with re-sawing. You would do better just buying in quantity. Most Rosewood is becoming very difficult to source, and if you can source it your quality is hit and miss, or prices are right up there with retail pre-cut prices. On these woods, you are almost forced to either chase large quantity, and hope you can do ok or just buy pre-cut (latter being much less risky). I would also say the same about some ebony.

Softwoods, you have to find a good source(your tree or theirs). You will never know for sure what you have until it is cut, as even great looking wood can vary in stiffness. It does generally take a large volume to get a few very high grade sets. If your interest is only in master grade sets, just buy them. If you are more concerned about well cut wood, and good stiff sets over looks, and enjoy having consistency in several sets(cutting several sets from a single billet offers more predictability) then re-sawing can be good. Also it helps if you are willing to look at some sets as being better suited to different size guitars. You may saw a billet of a given species(you will quickly realise, not all wood of a given species will have the same properties duh , although oddly enough you will be charged mostely based on species :shock: ), that is moderate in stiffness for that species and possibly well suited to smaller bodies. It also helps if you are enjoy hanging on to a good stock of wood for many years, as sets will vary, and they will need to wait for the right project. If your building a specific project, want a specific visual grade, have a specific species in mind, are looking for only the stiffest set you can get your hands on for that species, do not have time to wait for wood to dry properly, then you are better off buying it pre- cut and graded.

One thing that can be handy is to keep in touch with other like minded re-sawers. Since many woods are easier to get ahold of in certain areas. You can pool resources when you run across good finds, and share the wealth. As long as shipping doesn't get in the way(cost), Trading wood is an outstanding way to go [:Y:] .

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:33 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Rich,

Thank you very much for you very informative response. Some of the things you mention I have considered, which had made me think about whether or not it was something worth even doing, such as moisture contents, quality of the wood, etc. Great information for me to consider. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

Brad,
I hope my responce was taken as a big thumbs up on re-sawing. You have the equipment, and you should put it to work [:Y:] . Hopefully, some of the things I mentioned will help in your selection, and give you things to keep in mind when purchasing. Chat with other re-sawers for sure, especially ones who are close or semi-close to where you live. You can share leads on wood, trade, pass tips on blades and such. Best resource you will find.

Peace,Rich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
Focus: Build
http://www.gilmerwood.com
has some good stuff.