It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Hello,

A customer has an old violin that belonged to a German musician, and I suppose that the instrument is very valious, therefore i contact you. The violin is an Giuseppe Guarnieri del Gesu made in 1735. The violin have a label inside that you can see the descriptions. The descriptions are: Joseph Guarnerius Cremonensis faciebat anno 1735 I.H.S.

Perhaps you can help me and contact with an indicated person.

thanks a lot,

Best regards,

Emiliano.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:58 am 
Koa
Koa

Go here:

http://www.maestronet.com/

Nobody here is qualified to answer your question with authority; while it's unlikely that you have a genuine Guarnieri in your hands, if it should prove genuine, it needs to be in qualified hands, quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:00 am 
Koa
Koa

If it is genuine, it could be worth millions. However, it was common practice and not considered unethical to copy famous violins, right down to the label. As the other post said, get it to a qualified person immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:20 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

What you have ins undoubtedly a copy, but it still could be a nice instrument. Take it to a violin shop in your area to have it's quality, condition, and rough value appraised. Guarneri violins have been copied probably more than any other, and though most you will find will be low to mid level student violins. Still, there are certainly a good many copies out there that are excellent instruments that can have values up to a few thousand dollars when repaired and set up.

So the chances of it being a genuine Guarneri are a little less than winning a million dollar lottery ticket three times in a row. Most of them found will be cheaper student instruments made in the early 20th century. Occasionally though, a good quality copy of 18th or 19th century origin can be found. So if it looks to be of decent quality, it never hurts to take it to a professional to have it looked at though. Just be sure to go in with no presumptions, as violin shops I'm sure get innumerable calls every week about the Strad or Guarneri found in the attic, and tire of it quite quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Emiliano,

If you let us know roughly where you or the owner are located, perhaps someone here can refer you to trustworthy shop or appraiser nearby.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

My wife was a violinist with the LSO for 20 years, she has two copies of Guarneri violins and one Stad copy, all German from the 18th and 19th century, they are exceptionally good violins and have some value in their own right. In fact very many of the violinists in orchestras use them. Certainly get it checked out, but expect it to be a German copy.

Colin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: How
City: Auburn
State: Ca
I to have a Guarneri, made it myself back in 1983. It was the first acoustic instrument that I ever made. While looking for guitar wood, I ran across a local violin maker and got a little distracted. A worthy distraction though, wish I could play it, it still hangs in my shop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:47 am 
Koa
Koa

My mother-in-law had a real Guarnieri that was a student violin. When she died the family had it repaired and sold at auction. We still have a peg. Bruce Sexauer from Petaluma, CA is a real Guarnieri fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:07 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thank you all for your answers.

the violin belonged of the great-grand father of my customer.

If the violin is a genuine guarnerius. The question is:
Is convenient repair the violin, or is better conserve this as is? and what is the value if the violin in not genuine?

Im intrested in sell the violin.

Im from Argentina,

Thanks,

Emiliano.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:20 am 
Koa
Koa

Emiliano, if you need another one, let me know!! Eat Drink
(Seriously, if there is ANY reasonable expectation it is geniune, get it to a museum quality expert - it is too valuable a historical piece to do otherwise. If it is not geniune, it could be worth anything, based on its own merits.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.