It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:06 am 
Koa
Koa

Outstanding Waddy.

I'm very interested to hear what your impressions of the sound are after a couple of days.

Bob

------------------------------------------------------
Bob Connor
Geelong, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:52 am 
Koa
Koa

Great to see you this far! Good job.

The bridge holes look nice and straight! duh

Is it just me, or the photo, but the neck heel, as it flares as it approaches the fingerboard, looks kind of square and chunky. The rest of the guitar does not, so it shows up.

Keep playing it in! It takes awhile for the wood to realize that its a guitar now. I've always found the G string to sound kind of thunky, especially on a virgin guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:21 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Love that peghead [:Y:]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
You are all very kind! :oops: Thank you so much for your comments and your help on this project. I can't tell you how much I have learned here. Much of the detail work in a build like this is really not covered in books. That's where a forum like this really stands out. Ask a question, get an answer, well, a bunch of answers, then pick one that works for you. The "tricky" parts of the build are dealt with here so often, and those are similar on steel strings and classicals, as well as other instruments we see here.

Dave F., I noticed that rule wasn't level on the bridge shot, but didn't bother to take another shot. I figured it was close enough for government work.

Sam, it really is my first, no kidding. The Zebrano was troublesome, at best. It has lots of idiosyncrasies that are irritating, not to mention splinters that are like needles, sharp and hard, go deep and break off. Can't tell you how many times I would scrape an edge, then wipe my hand over it for a feel, and get bitten. I'm a slow learner. Still not sure on the bending. I didn't have a lot of trouble, but it wanted to bend best very hot, it seemed to me, and it wanted to cup a bit. I found it easy to tweak though once bent. Bends would open up fine if too tight.

Bob, I did play it a little this morning, before leaving for work (Thats what I'm doing now! :D Good thing I'm self employed! [headinwall] ), and everytime I tune up after it's been sitting, for a while, it seems to sound a little better. I did get a comment from an unlikely source last night though. My wife walked through the room while I was playing it, and said that's the best sounding guitar you have. You aren't going to ruin it when you put the finish on are you? She usually only corrects my counting.

Doug, the bridge holes are acceptable, but even with the drill choked up in the chuck, and doing little dips and cleaning the bit, it still wants to drift a little in this wood. The alignment on the saddle side is different from the alignment on the back of the bridge, but close enough to work. I think the neck needs a little more work too. I think you are right, it is a little chunky. I also noticed that I need to work the neck shaft a little more. The curve is a little fat on the bass side. I may work a little more curve in it so it isn't such a hard D shape. Maybe try to soften it up a little and have less flat.

For those of you whom I didn't answer directly, thank you again for your kind remarks. I really have great respect for all of you folks, and your comments are uplifting. I'll try to figure out how to make a sound clip here one of these days.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Congratulations Waddy!
I still really like that rosette.
Fine looking guitar there. And nice documentation too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: kurt
Last Name: thomas
City: colden
State: ny
Zip/Postal Code: 14033
Waddy,

I have been following your posts on the building process and thought this was one of many that you had done, when I read this post that it is your first? :shock: wow! I love the look of this guitar, that rosette/headstock is/are just awesome, beautiful work and yes, those tuners you have on it now are really made for this guitar.

I'm sure it will be fun to start on the FP and see the wood come to life under the finish, would love to hear it once you figure how to get a sound clip posted. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

Kurt

Kurt Thomas

"There's a first time for everything even if you do it by mistake."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:41 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Sen
Last Name: Goh
Waddy,

Your guitar is a real beauty.
I enjoyed every bit and learn alot of your building process and method.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to hear some sound clips.

Sen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Thanks, Kirt, Kurt and Sen!(Sounds like a Law Firm) I'm playing it every day, and will try to get a sound clip of some kind, maybe, next week. Don't know how good it will be, recording or playing. Maybe I can get a stand-in to play me a clip. All of my practice is ensemble stuff and mostly one liner stuff. I need to work on some solo pieces. Back to basics, I guess.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars