Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Actually, I'm a full time guitarmaker and I'll get back at it as soon as the taxes are done, the yard is treated, I replace the wood around the garage doors, and on the end of the house and that first grandbaby gets here in a day or so.

Eat Drink

These users thanked the author Bruce Dickey for the post: RNRoberts (Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: How
City: Auburn
State: Ca
2007 was my first year as a full time luthier. After 21 years flying satellites for a large aerospace manufacturer, they said ya can keep your job if you want to move back to the big city or you can take an early retirement. You mean your going to give me a check every month and I can go build guitars!!! So here I go. So far so good, I have outstanding orders, a couple good dealers that actually sell guitars and the new year is on track to be even bigger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:36 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Blain
City: Leander
State: Texas
Focus: Build
I'm 31, Have been working at a Large Industrial motor manufacturer here in Central Texas for the past 12 years as a CAD Designer.

I'm a man of many hobbies probably because I like to make things myself when I can't buy what I want. To give you an idea, I once took a trip down to San Antonio to try and find a nice $20 Wallet. After seeing that they didn't have what I wanted, I decided I would just make my own. Then I ended up spending $250 on leatherworking tools and made my own. Sound familiar? :lol:

Other interests/hobbies of mine are Fishing, Hunting, Horseshoes, Dominoes, Photography (I'm just now getting into 3D photography), Taco Bell (i'll eat there any chance I get) and good BBQ.

I have a wonderful family (am the youngest of 4 kids), and am blessed with a great group of friends and especially my girlfriend who if it weren't for here, I wouldn't have ever gotten into Guitar building.

I got into guitar building in 2006 when I was with my girlfriend up in Ann Arbor. She loves to read so I was drug into a bookstore where I stumbled across some guitar building books. At that point, it was something that really interested me so I bought the book. I wasn't sure I would actually follow through with it, but as luck turned out, I did and have built 1 and 1/2 guitars to date.

My plan with guitar building is to learn as much as I can now, make most of my mistakes early on and hopefully have a decent foot in the door by the time I'm ready to retire so that I can have something to keep me busy as well as suppliment my retirement income. If it turns out that I could do this full time before then, great, but it's not something I'm counting on.

I'm pretty good at making a short story long, so with that being said, I'll go ahead and end here. :lol:

http://www.ullrichguitar.com

"89.67% of all statistics are made up on the spot."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:01 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I'm 31 in Atlanta, Georgia and I got into this a couple of years ago when I started flatpicking and bought my first decent guitar--a '76 D-18 in need of some work. Somewhere along the line I decided I'd like to try to fix it myself, and I even got a little advice on that work last summer from Grumpy at Steve Kaufman's camp. So I went out and bought some beat-up imports to practice repairs on and now I think I'm ready to attempt the neck reset on the Martin. I've also acquired some mahogany to make my own D-18...

Last summer while out skateboarding with a few guys I've known for five or six years, I found out that one of them had begun building classicals in his attic. We started talking about lutherie and after some investigation I learned that he builds really nice guitars in a well-equipped shop...so I moved in. I have a valet gig at night to pay the rent and give me excuses for not spending enough time in the shop; my roommate just quit his day job to build full-time. He's an OLFer, too by the way--Kristopher10.

With a shop in the attic we have lots of dust in the house and nowhere near enough closet space for the all these guitar cases...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Miek wrote:
Howdy!
Thanks for starting this. It's nice to be able to build up a better picture of who you all are. I have to agree with Grumpy about placement though.

Maybe because we're all....... luthiers! :?:
Image Image Image

Well, it all started about 52 years ago in Pomona Cailfornia! :D Started guitar at about 14! Mostly worked on guitars for fun, humb's into Tele's, new nuts, bridge upgrades... . This mostly for friends and myself.

Got wrapped up into machining, tool and die, plastic's tooling and stayed with that for quite some time. Lot of Medical and Aerospace work. (Yes the "Aurora" has been up and running since the early 90's)

After a long bout with illness I started to get interested in building acoustic guitars about three years ago. I really like the more experimental phases of building and really look forward to it! Really like playing more though!

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
Ken, just a turkey? Where's your 'gator?

I'm 55, and have been here in Newark, DE for 20 years this coming December. I'm a professor of Civil Engineering (adjunct in Marine and Earth Studies) at U. Delaware. My wife Barb and I have been together since 1980, when I was a student at U.D. as well. We managed to live a few other places in between - Stony Brook, LI, and Gainesville, FL for 5 years. We have 3 sons, a 22 year old who is graduating from UD this semester and then is off to get a masters in Computer Science at Rochester Inst. of Technology, where he will learn to deal with snow of the sort that Bob C. and Grumpy are used to. (He'll almost be a neighbor of Bob - what more excuse will I need to visit? [:Y:] [:Y:] )
The other two are a matched pair, 17 years old next week wow7-eyes They used to be easier than they are now. The household is rounded out by two labradoodles, one 6 years and one 10 months.

Particulars of the real job stuff can be seen at http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

I came to any aspect of guitar other than listener appreciation very late - I started playing around 1998/9 or so, and then built my first electric (a Tele) from parts in 2000. The slide down the slippery slope since then has been slow but inevitable. It has been hard to find the time to build as enthusiastically as I'd like (the funding agencies have been very good to me lately, and I'm up to my eyeballs in work). So I tend the growing zootpile, and try to get a few done when I can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:54 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Vincent
Last Name: Simokovich
City: Parma
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 44134
Great topic! My name is Vincent M. Simokovich. I'm 49 years old and I've been married to the same wonderful woman for the past 23 years (I didn't marry the first two that I got engaged to). I have three boys, Kyle, Jordan and Zachary, a dog, a cat, and a parakeet that doesn't like to stay in her cage. Ironically the cat doesn't care about the bird, figure that one out. I am a professional amateur sawdust maker and started woodworking 12 years ago. I worked in the Detroit area for 11 years as a mechanical engineer and got tired of corporate America and having a boss. I was scheduled for back surgery when I was 19 and decided to try a chiropractor as a last resort. Never had the surgery. After 11 years of engineering I went back to college in Marietta, GA to study chiropractic and I've been a practicing chiropractor for the past 17 years. I love not having a boss. I take that back, I have a boss and her name is Patty.

I live outside of Cleveland, OH now not too far from another forum member, Brad Way. I love working with wood and always wanted to make guitars. After finding this forum and a couple of others, I decided to take the plunge. Right now I am working on my first build, and I have enough wood stashed for 32 instruments. Recently I had a continuing education class in Minnesota, otherwise I would have been in Ann Arbor for the 'get together' this past weekend. Sorry I had to miss it. It was actually a dual purpose trip because I have a prized piece of old growth BRW that I had cut into eight sets by Grant Goltz. The wood was given to me for free by an 86 year old patient who bought the wood in 1967 at a gun show for $15 a board, and it was being sold for making gun stocks if you can imagine that. He knew his time here was limited and wanted to see the wood used for something special. I'm looking forward to getting at least 8 to 10 builds under my belt so I feel comfortable working with this stuff.

Vinman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:54 am 
Koa
Koa

Great to get to learn about so many folks.

Let's just say that I think I'm the oldest who has so far provided info' for this thread and leave it at that. I have been married to Becki for 40 years and we have three daughters. We also have a six month old granddaughter, Caylynn.

I have wanted to build guitars since I started playing (folk music) in college. I was first introduced to flamenco music around the same time and have been learning to play ever since. I have been participating in a yearly flamenco workshop in Sanlucar de Barrameda in Spain for the last 12 years.

I started building flamenco guitars about three years ago when I retired from my work in the computer industry. I intend to also build classical guitars at some point.

Max

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:28 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Ressler
City: Sandwich
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60548
I'm 45 and my wife & I live in Sandwich, IL which is close to Chicago. We have 2 children, a son in college studying Mechanical Eng. and a daughter in HS.

I am a stair builder by trade. I am a partner in family business that owns a large stair company. We build stairs from very simple to very complex. Check us out http://www.designedstairs.com.

I can't remember not doing woodworking. I had my own shop on our farm when I was 12. It was crude, but I was as proud of that shop as I am of my current one. I also had a sawmill on the farm and really enjoyed that experience, but am glad I didn't have to make a living at it.

I started building guitars in 2000. I learned from Frank Finnochio and Charles Fox - both outstanding instructors and individuals. I haven't acutally sold any guitars yet, but really enjoy experimenting with different woods, then giving the guitar to someone who might appreciate it. Someday I will need to sell some to support my habit.

I also am an instructor at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. I teach stairbuilding and last year I took over the guitar building class.

I really enjoy this forum and really appreciate all of you who share so selflessly. I have learned so much and hope I can give in return.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:57 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gary
Last Name: Lee
I'm 42 and lucky to be married to someone who whole-heartedly encourages me to pursue lutherie with everything I have. Can you imagine, a wife who says, "You should by more wood. It's not getting any cheaper, right?" We recently moved near New York City, a place that astounds me with its depth and vitality of the arts, including classical guitar.

Science has always been at the forefront of my career aspirations and before becoming involved in lutherie I thought that's how things would remain. I had been fortunate to be able to pursue my first love, plant biochemistry during advanced studies and later in academics and then in the biotechnology industry. Recently with the encouragement of my wife, I started to transition into lutherie as an occupation.

I started building classical guitars in 1999. Last year I built my first two steel string guitars in order become exposed to new techniques and concepts that might help my classical building. I couldn't have done the steel string project without the OLF and that experience was one of the best investments I have made. The effect that it has had on the quality of my instruments has been imeasureable. Thanks to everyone here on the forum for the gift.

With my new career direction in lutherie underway, I feel like I'm the luckiest person in the world. This year I started studying classical guitar with an accomplished teacher to further develop my playing skills and learn to play comfortably in front of an audience. The latter is probably the hardest thing I've ever faced, but what's life without a challenge?

Regards,
Gary Lee
http://www.leeguitarworks.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:53 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I am a 57 year old retired tech ed (shop) teacher. My wife will retire in May. My kids are grown, and the good thing about being a retired teacher in Wisconsin is that we have a great pension system which delivers a decent check each month. I have taught everything from woods to auto to computer technology. My most recent position was as the yearbook advisor and graphic design instructor at East High School here in Madison.

Around 3 years ago, I bought a left handed guitar on Ebay. It all made sense, and I could actually play. Somehow it never worked before. I started taking lessons, bought a better guitar - a Larrivee, and then started to think......... Yep, you guessed it. Shop guy, tools, "I could make one of these!" I did a lot of looking around, bought some books, thought about a kit, started looking at schools, and decided that was the way to go for me.

I ended up this past October at Vermont Instruments - not a bad place to be in October. I thought the cost reasonable, the class size (5) very realistic, and what I learned priceless. I plan on being more towards the hobby builder - building 5 or so per year. I have an older CNC router that a salesman gave to me, so hope to incorporate some of that in my work. I plan on guitar build number two in a few weeks and will I am sure participate in the forum with more questions than answers at first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bob Garrish wrote:
I'm 25 (where's the baby emoticon?) with one obnoxiously affectionate cat (think "shadow that sleeps on your pillow"), The Puff. Living in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I came here to go to university and never left!

Hey Bob, I had a cat JUST like yours. He was my absolute best friend. He wanted to be with me, or on me, or just against me virtually every minute that I was home. Appreciate him while you have him! My little guy (19 lbs when skinny) passed away from cancer on Christmas Eve back in '04, and I still miss him somethin' awful. He even looked like your cat. Freaky.

Love that Fadal !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:37 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Hehe, I think I win the youngun prize. I'm 24 years old. Bob, I can't believe you are 25! Your story makes me feel a lot less crazy about what I'm doing. I've been carving wood ever since I was old enough to grip a knife. Born and raised in Alabama, have a Bachelors in archeology, worked briefly as a field tech, then worked for 2 years as an assistant winemaker in Southern Oregon. Got tired of that and moved to the SF Bay area to pursue guitars fulltime. I've been building guitars for about 2 years now, fixing them since high school.

Luckily I have a wonderful wife who supports my schizoid career changes, and wants to see me succeed with my guitars. Also luckily, she is willing to pay the rent in the meantime :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Great stuff, you guys sure have a diverse background but all seem passionate about these instruments we build. I'm impressed and feel like I am really lucky to be part of a great group.
I'll be 57 soon, got the guitar virus at 13 and never got cured. Played the coffee houses in the 60's, backing up singers mostly and having a great time. Built my first instrument in 1974 (again, thanks to Irving) and have been trying to get it right ever since, with varying degrees of success. Dental school took me out of the building picture as did starting up a practice but now I've been able to incorporate
building on a more regular basis (i.e. doing less Dentistry and more building..). I've been stashing wood away for years in the hopes that someday I can devote more time to building and get more than 3 or 4 done each year. We'll see how that works out.
I'm also a car fanatic as well as a racing fan, I'm director of race operations at Laguna Seca here in Monterey so that takes up some time as well but is great fun as I'm in the middle of everything.
Have met some great people through racing and done some myself. I've built Porsche engines
for years and raced them as well. Having a hard time crawling under cars anymore so doing less of that. The back just won't allow it.
I build for fun, don't really sell my guitars just try to learn something from each one and do a better job next time. That's the goal anyway.
Keep 'em coming, this really provides a great insight into the backgrounds and motives that got us going in the first place.
Best
Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 pm 
Name: Warren Gash

I spent ~10 years as an Atmospheric Researcher (meteorology). For the better part of the last decade, and as a result of the Web, I've been an Usability Analyst in human/computer interaction. :ugeek:

Along the way I learned to play the guitar, and have played professionally. Highlight of my "career" was a 1/2 hour CBC Radio national broadcast of an interview and original music I did in the early 90's. Apparently they still use some of the music as filler...

More recently learned to build them under the tutelage of Sergei de Jonge. I've only built three instruments, but I play them every day practically. In fact, I wrote and photographed an article for the Fretboard Journal (Issue #6) on my experience at Sergei's farm. Can I call myself a freelance writer now too?

I'm an avid alpine skier and even competed on the IFSA tour in the late nineties. Never won a single event but enjoyed scaring the bejesus out of myself every time.

I live with a wonderful woman, Dea, who's uber-creative and artistic. She's been encouraging me to take a year's leave-of-absence to apprentice with a luthier (trying to give me something to do when I retire, I guess).

In the meantime, I'm setting up a podcast called The Acoustic Balcony including music, interviews, and opinions on the genre of acoustic and classical guitar. Should be fun.

Last edited by WarrenG on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm 39, 'bout to turn the big four-o in June, and have been married to an amazing woman for the last twelve years. We have a scary smart six year old boy, who keeps us on our toes. I think one reason he's so bright is that we've read to him (now with him) every single day of his life. I figure it must be that rather than genetics.

I'm a practicing sculptor, trying to squeeze out a living selling work and doing commissions, but I've recently accepted that a part time teaching gig is in my near future. Right now my wife pays most the bills as a literacy coach for the city school district.

I taught as adjunct faculty at the University of Arizona until I landed a full time gig in the Architecture College as the shop supervisor. I also worked in an art foundry and owned a moldmaking/art fabrication business. I gave up the architecture gig when we moved to Asheville, NC a couple of years ago, and since have divided my time making sculpture, doing construction projects for local art galleries, and some small project audio recording/engineering. Within the last year, I've started down the long road of learning guitar building. I've built three to date, the first a stewmac dred kit, and recently finished my scratch-build sister OM's. Ideally, I'd like to divide my time between art making, instrument building, and part-time teaching.

I've been playing in bands since I was 14, and have recently gotten back into that with my wife and three other guys. In fact one plays one of Ken Franklin's beauties. That's been a whole lot of fun, and we've even done a few gigs around town.

I'm debating what my next build will be, but today I'm leaning toward doing a mandolin. Thanks to all the incredibly generous folks here at the OLF for your time and thoughtful building advice.

All good things,
Ken

ps, here's a shot of my latest show, which opened last Friday:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ron Wisdom, 59 years old (for one more week wow7-eyes ), married to the same Pam for 35 years. We have two sons: Matt (30) lives in Southaven, MS and is a mathematician for a large medical implant firm in Memphis (Smith & Nephew), and Jeff (27) is a chemistry/physics teacher at the high school here in Beebe, Arkansas. I have two granddaughters, ages 3 and 5, and another on the way.

I went through college and graduated without ever knowing what I wanted to do for a living. Started chemical engineering, then switched to pre-med (stayed long enough to pass the MCAT), then decided that wasn't it either. Just took all the math and science that I could and got my B.S. in chemistry with a minor in math in 1970. The job market stunk at that time and I ran across an ad for "teacher wanted" in the delta region of Arkansas. I took that job and absolutely loved it. I got my Masters degree in physical science (mostly physics) in 1977, and now I have been teaching for 38 years. Not much money over the years, but I've never been sorry. I am currently semi-retired. I am drawing retirement, but the school lets me teach half a day. So, I teach honors algebra II to three classes a day and I am finished by 11 a.m. to work in my shop. My wife is also a retired science teacher. I also taught night classes for the local college for 22 years and that made me go back and get enough additional graduate level math to have a masters in math.

I've played guitar since I was about 13, play by ear only, as I never learned to read music. I started woodworking seriously about 1973 and made a lot of furniture and kitchen cabinets in my spare time. Then I went to smaller, more detailed projects, like walking canes, music and jewelery boxes, etc. I made my sons matching chess sets a few years ago, and got into guitar building looking for a greater challenge. I found it. Made my first in 2005, and have completed 5 now: Four dreads and 1 OM. I'm currently making my first electric, a semi-hollow body like a Gibson cs-336. I have plans to build a lap steel, a banjo, and a hammered dulcimer, in addition to more acoustics. I don't play much guitar anymore, as I've been trying to teach myself to play bluegrass banjo for the past 10 years or so. Wish I'd started that when I was 13.

Ron

Ron Wisdom

Somewhere in the middle of Arkansas......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I’m 63, retired Orthopaedist. Married, two kids three grandkids. Started building in 1998, took the Charles Fox course in 2003. I’ve played guitar and banjo since 1963. Focal Dystonia ended my bluegrass banjo career but guitar is going OK. I’ve always been in some kind of band for the last 25 years. My two great passions are music/lutherie and bicycle racing. I also enjoy alpine and nordic skiing.
What an interesting bunch of folks we have here! I'm on the left with one of my kids following the 2003 Tour.
Terry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:28 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I am 43 and have been married for nearly 18 years. We have two middle school aged boys. I was born in Georgia and lived in Tennessee (Memphis area) for 11 years before ending up in Cary, North Carolina. I am a planning manager for a software company and am much more skilled at spreadsheets than building or playing guitar.

I try to stay involved in my boy's activities, so my guitar building is something that I squeeze in when I can. As a family, we are also involved in sports and outdoor activities (fishing and camping).

A couple of years ago, I got started building by piecing together pieces bought for a bargain on ebay. I learned that mis-matched pieces don't necessarily fit and aren't necessarily a bargain.

My current priority is getting my garage in better shape to do some building. Trying to get a semi dedicated area for woodwork. I also need to complete a LMI dread that is about 90% done (not counting finishing). I am not happy with my binding job on the fret board and have some new binding and router bits on the way.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm 38, live in Georgia, about 2 hours east of Atlanta and I am a full time flight paramedic in Augusta. I work 24 hours on and 48 hours off, so that gives me some time to do a little building. I have been married for 14 years to the same wonderful woman, and we have an 11 year old son. My father was a mandolin builder for quite a few years, catering to the bluegrass market. Wayne Benson, Dale Reno, Paul Williams are just a few who either own or have owned a Tucker mando. He got out of it after he had a 5 year waiting list (thank goodness for him he was not committed until he started a build). I have dabbled in furniture and woodworking all my life, and decided to build a guitar. My father and I both built a guitar, and the next thing I knew, I had a waiting list. The Bluegrass Brothers have one of the first guitars. that was less than 2 years ago, and now I have #'s 19 and 20 on my bench. It has really become a labor of love. Now that I think I have the basics down, I am thinking about doing some add on things like built in armrests and such. If I ever get caught up on the guitars, I would like to get into mandolins, which seem to make building guitars a walk in the park. I have helped my father with a few of them, and that is why I am almost bald!! [headinwall] laughing6-hehe Challenging to say the least! gaah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Hank
Last Name: Mauel
City: Auburn
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95603
I'm 62, married to my high school sweetheart for 41 years, have 2 grown children and 5 grandchildren (11 down to 18 months). Econ major in college, did 2 years in a bank after graduation, then 22 years with Pacific Telephone (back when all the TPC's were all under AT&T) and then finished off "regular work life" as the CEO of our local fairgrounds. That was a hoot job, especially planning the annual fair with all the entertainment, concessions, carnival, 4-H/FFA activities, etc etc scheduling.
Finally "retired" to full time luthiery in 1996 (built first guitar from scratch in 1970) and been at it ever since. Have slowed the build rate in the past couple years due to some health issues, but still try to get 2-3 days a week in the shop. I've built nearly 150 instruments to date and have more wood than I can ever build with...a typical luthier malady! :) .
Other diversions: you can see one in the avatar to the left. That's Bruce Herrmann's job site, the Corkscrew turn, at the top of Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey. The white car #95 is me in a vintage race 1959 Lotus Elite. Always was a car nut and loved racing. Currently restoring a Lotus Seven that should be ready this spring. It'll be a street car for fun and games. Played "at" the guitar since 1956 but, unlike fine wine, I didn't get better with age! ;) Still have too many guitars and not enough dexterity!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

I am 37 and started playing bass when I was 14. Since I have always had an interest in woodworking I started building various parts for basses during my high school and college years. After college I purchased a 100 year old home which took most of my free time so the bass building got put on the side for about 8 years while restoring the house. About 3 years ago I moved into a newer home that didn't require as much work and I started putting together my wood shop. It was 2 years ago that I found the OLF and immediately started dreaming about building acoustic guitars. Over the past 12-18 months I have been busy building jigs and fixtures and am currently working on my first build.

While not thinking about guitars I spend my days working as a Manufacturing Engineering Manager for a company that manufactures very large industrial gears and gearboxes. I have been married for 5 years and we currently have no kids but have a 10 year old German Short Haired Pointer.

I have really enjoyed the OLF and all the great people that makes this place work. I am amazed how many talented people are here and willing to share their tricks of the trade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

Im Martin Turner, Im a 50 year old New Zealander currently living in Australia. I work as a Petroleum Geologist which keeps me away from home and my workshop for at least half the year. Guitar building is purely a hobby but looking at how much has been spent on zoot over the last 12 months Id call it an obsession rather than a hobby.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:29 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I'm 62, have 3 sons & 1 daughter all grown. I'm currently in the middle of my second divorce. oops_sign I live in the Coast Range of Oregon on 97 acres of forest. Some of the wood that goes onto my instruments comes off of the property.
Over the years there's been alot of different jobs - worked in the shipyards & the woods, sheetmetal, construction, farming, beekeeping & landscape gardening. Now in addition to building and repair of instruments I own a music store.http://www.newbergmusiccenter.com
Made my first instrument when I was 10 & traded it to another kid for a BB gun then made another one. I've been building & repairing instruments on and off since then. During the 60's & 70's I made and sold dulcimers & banjos at craft fairs between other jobs. Now I make guitars, bouzoukis both electric and acoustic, mandolins and fiddles. It looks like I'll need to start making the dulcimers again since I've been getting asked about them recently.

Still tryin to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. idunno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

now that grumpy's blessed this thread (even a picture!!) how can i help but jump in.

i'm phil campbell-enns (started as phil enns, then married a campbell girl and liked the family so much that i took on the name). i'm 39. as i type this my three year old daughter is 'tatooing' my arm with stickers, and my five year old daughter has just turned off the tele and joined us. my wife has already left the house to teach kindergarten for the morning.

i've been building guitars for 5 years (just about done #8). i started because i was looking for a hobby/diversion that would make time stand still. when i'm lucky, that happens about 3 or 4 times a week for a couple of hours after the little ones are in bed. building guitars combines two loves that i discovered rather late compared to many of you. i started playing guitar when i was 20 and started taking woodworking more seriously when i was 27. the only downside to building is that it competes for my hobby time with playing. i'm not 40 yet, but well aware that life will feel too short to do it all.

oh, and my real job / vocation / passion / calling is as a youth pastor in a relatively small church (just big enough to have two full time pastors on staff).

beyond the generosity that's shared daily here on the forum, i'm generally blown away by the kinship of the whole "guitar world." builders and players alike seem to be great people that make instant connections.

phil

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next